Caution for Armed Robbers in Houston

Under Illinois' new concealed carry law, I believe this Veteran would have been arrested.

They don't allow you to defend yourself or others?

The way it was explained by the instructor- if there is no immediate direct threat to you personally then you pretty much mind your own business.

For example, if somebody is shooting up a bank full of people you can't waltz in and stop it. You CAN attempt to get the shooter's attention and once a threat is directed toward you - fire away. You can't shoot someone breaking into your home unless there is a direct threat to you or your family personally. And of course, a shot to the back is a big no-no.

I suppose I could read the entire law (and I should), but of course I'm relying on the instructor here.

Under Illinois' new concealed carry law, I believe this Veteran would have been arrested.

The way it was explained by the instructor- if there is no immediate direct threat to you personally then you pretty much mind your own business.

For example, if somebody is shooting up a bank full of people you can't waltz in and stop it. You CAN attempt to get the shooter's attention and once a threat is directed toward you - fire away. You can't shoot someone breaking into your home unless there is a direct threat to you or your family personally. And of course, a shot to the back is a big no-no.

I suppose I could read the entire law (and I should), but of course I'm relying on the instructor here.

You did not hear your instructor correctly, or he is an idiot. You can use deadly force to save the lives of others, not just your own life.

You did not hear your instructor correctly, or he is an idiot. You can use deadly force to save the lives of others, not just your own life.

Are you an Illinois resident and that familiar with the law? If so, I appreciate the heads up. :thup:

Since when is robbery a capital offense? Sounds like the war veteran needed better judgement. But if he was capable of that then he wouldn't have gone to whatever useless war the US has fought in the last 60 years.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Well, that law that I cited says a whole lot of nothing re: personal protection, the protection of others, and the circumstances under which one should draw their weapon. Sorry bout that.

Are you an Illinois resident and that familiar with the law? If so, I appreciate the heads up. :thup:

Does Illinois Have a “Stand Your Ground” Law?

“Deadly force” means “force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm.” When you’re defending yourself or someone else, deadly force is OK only if you reasonably believe it’s necessary “to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm” to yourself or another.

When you’re defending yourself or someone else, or stopping that “trespass on or criminal interference with” other property, deadly force is also OK to prevent “the commission of a forcible felony.”

Someone shooting up a bank? Deadly force is definitely OK.

Last edited:

By damnies, according to this - that is correct...

(720 ILCS 5/7-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 7-1)
Sec. 7-1. Use of force in defense of person.
(a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or another against such other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or another, or the commission of a forcible felony.

720*ILCS*5/*Criminal Code of 2012.

By damnies, according to this - that is correct...

(720 ILCS 5/7-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 7-1)
Sec. 7-1. Use of force in defense of person.
(a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or another against such other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or another, or the commission of a forcible felony.

720*ILCS*5/*Criminal Code of 2012.

This is pretty much the way it is in TX, but here if someone is fleeing with your property at night, you can shoot them, front, back, not matter.

The robbery was not what got the robber killed. I just said that. It was self-defense because the robber aimed at the vet. The vet defended himself. My point is that this stupid idea that thieves should be executed on the spot is entirely psychotic.

Derp. Burglary is thievery. Robbery is not burglary. It is the act of taking something face to face under the threat of bodily injury or death.

Since when does robbery carry a death sentence?

In Texas law it is very clear that deadly force is justified to defend against destruction of property & theft. If you don't like it, move to NYC or vote for change.

Did the robbers kill anyone? No? It was justifiable homicide in that the robber raised his gun first. That's self-defense, but robbery is not a capital offense.

You're a really sick person if you think that stealing should carry a death sentence.

Does that death sentence for stealing count for international bankers as well?

What if what they destroy or stole was the culmination of your entire life's work & you were depending on it to live? Would they not have taken your life or a large chunk of it? Shouldn't you be able to use deadly force to defend it at your discretion.

Since when is robbery a capital offense? Sounds like the war veteran needed better judgement. But if he was capable of that then he wouldn't have gone to whatever useless war the US has fought in the last 60 years.

KGB...this is the stupidest damn post i've ever seen from you...and that's saying something.

For those of you who say bad guys with guns are never stopped by good guys with guns, here's one to consider.

War veteran shoots and kills alleged game store robber

War veteran shoots and kills alleged game store robber | News - Home

One less bad guy in the world.

Makes robbers think twice about robbing a store in Texas... someone might stop them with a gun. What are the odds a good guy with a gun will stop similar robber in a restrictive gun law state like California, Illinois, New York, or Massachussets

Forum List

Back