🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Charging Kids as Adults...What say you?

The Leftist hack who started this thread is trying to set a trap, however lame and feckless. The objective is to find one conservative to say they shouldn't be tried as adults and then he'll gleefully seize on it as proof that conservatives have a double standard when it comes to race because the perpetrators are white.

What a pathetic, lying POS he is.

Oh wow...Thats funny. But we already know they have double standards so thats like saying Fish swim. I'm talking about charging kids of any race as adults is a bad idea in MOST cases. But this one? They were 12 dude....Like....How young do you have to go?

Is 10 the limit? 8 years old?
You're unmasked, your agenda exposed for all to see. Want to see a racist? Look inward.

Boo hoo you called me your usual and again you yelled without reason. Your opinion matters

See ya next thread! Just copy and paste "racist" to reply to my next one which will be a cooking thread :2up:

We really can't seem to make up our minds in this country as to when a person is an adult.

We'll give an 18 year old an automatic weapon and drop him in the middle of a war zone but then tell him he can't buy a beer.
Now we'll say 2 12 year old girls are adults for trial purposes

But a 26 year old can still be on mommy's insurance

Man are we fucked up or what?

I actually agree with you on some of that. if someone can fight and die for their country, they should be able to have a beer, smoke a cigarette and vote.

the insurance is so people can afford to get an education and your objection to it is just dumb.

Their mental capacity was to stab someone for a fictional character named "Slender Man". Thats not high level stuff

Their mental capacity was to hide the proposed crime from their parents and to plan a violent, potentially fatal attack on a classmate. Considering that we have twenty and thirty-somethings in this country watching Cartoon Network and playing Pokemon GO, I don't think the bar is all that high anymore.

I agree but 20 and thirty somethings are not 12 years old. I mean if adult just means whatever you feel then is "tried as an adult" even a thing since there is no rhyme or reason behind it

Then they should be in mental institutions, not prisons.

That's acceptable.

the fact that they planned the way they did would preclude them being found insane. the standard is do you know right from wrong and were you able to formulate a plan. one of them might have made it. difficult to argue insanity when the two of them did it together.

No it wouldn't necessarily bar them from an insanity defense.

Actually, it does

The standard is "were they aware of their actions, and could they differentiate between right and wrong " that is it.

Actually it does not. They could have bifurcated trials and each could claim that they were insane and under the undue influence of the other.

Undue influence is irrelevant

Jesus , why do people comment on things they don't understand?

Temporary insanity is an AFFIRMATIVE defense and requires that the defense PROVE that they did not know that what they did was wrong. ALSO , it requires the defendant ADMITS that what the state claims they did, they did in fact do.

Being under undue influence does not negate knowing the difference between right and wrong.

I don't think a 12 year old is an adult

Do you think they knew it was wrong? How about the careful planning? All adult actions. First degree try as adults sentence as adults.

I don't agree the reasoning skills of a twelve year old are the same as an adult...that's why we don't allow them to drive
So you think a twelve year old dosen't know that planning a murder, choosing a weapon, luring one's victim into the woods is wrong?

We really can't seem to make up our minds in this country as to when a person is an adult.

We'll give an 18 year old an automatic weapon and drop him in the middle of a war zone but then tell him he can't buy a beer.

I actually agree with you on some of that. if someone can fight and die for their country, they should be able to have a beer, smoke a cigarette and vote.

the insurance is so people can afford to get an education and your objection to it is just dumb.

Agree with you on those points. The government needs one standard for what is considered to be an adult, but the insurance thing is unrelated, because the insurance rule isn't saying "these people aren't adults" it's merely allowing families to remain on group policies. Which I don't see what the big deal is there, My 24 year old sons are both on my group phone plan as well.

Now I can see why libtards never take responsibility for their actions.

Agree with you on those points. The government needs one standard for what is considered to be an adult, but the insurance thing is unrelated, because the insurance rule isn't saying "these people aren't adults" it's merely allowing families to remain on group policies. Which I don't see what the big deal is there, My 24 year old sons are both on my group phone plan as well.

exactly. it lets you use that money to pay for college and doesn't force your kid to go without healthcare when they're still studying or when they're starting out. I don't have an issue with that.

but I do think if you can fight and die then not being considered an adult is pretty messed up.

That's acceptable.

the fact that they planned the way they did would preclude them being found insane. the standard is do you know right from wrong and were you able to formulate a plan. one of them might have made it. difficult to argue insanity when the two of them did it together.

No it wouldn't necessarily bar them from an insanity defense.

Actually, it does

The standard is "were they aware of their actions, and could they differentiate between right and wrong " that is it.

Actually it does not. They could have bifurcated trials and each could claim that they were insane and under the undue influence of the other.

Undue influence is irrelevant

Jesus , why do people comment on things they don't understand?

Temporary insanity is an AFFIRMATIVE defense and requires that the defense PROVE that they did not know that what they did was wrong. ALSO , it requires the defendant ADMITS that what the state claims they did, they did in fact do.

Being under undue influence does not negate knowing the difference between right and wrong.

Well first, insanity is not exclusively an issue of their sanity at the time of the offense, but it can be their sanity as to standing trial.

Second, if someone were insane and under the undue influence of someone else, it explains how they could have "participated" in the planning of the murder and still be insane. I feel for your clients if you are that uncreative.

You're either an adult or you're not

And forcing people to buy health insurance policies that cover things that people might not want or need especially young healthy people who can make the rational decision not to buy it is what saps available money to spend on college

exactly. it lets you use that money to pay for college and doesn't force your kid to go without healthcare when they're still studying or when they're starting out. I don't have an issue with that.

but I do think if you can fight and die then not being considered an adult is pretty messed up.

I agree with that as well. If you're old enough to grab a rifle and a ruck sack, you're old enough to drink a beer. That's just the damn truth.

And forcing people to buy health insurance policies that cover things that people might not want or need especially young healthy people who can make the rational decision not to buy it is what saps available money to spend on college

the insurance issue has nothing to do with "adulthood" per se. it has to do with supporting families and allowing sons and daughters to be covered by their family insurance until they're out of school and ready to be established.

as for your deflection on families "having to buy insurance", you need to stay focused....

prior to the ACA more than 50% of bankruptcies were due to unanticipated medical costs. that is a huge societal and economic cost for the country.

your objections are kind of silly.

the insurance issue has nothing to do with "adulthood" per se. it has to do with supporting families and allowing sons and daughters to be covered by their family insurance until they're out of school and ready to be established.

as for your deflection on families "having to buy insurance", you need to stay focused....

prior to the ACA more than 50% of bankruptcies were due to unanticipated medical costs. that is a huge societal and economic cost for the country.

your objections are kind of silly.

Of course it does.

The fact that young people are forced to buy policies that are expensive because they have all kinds of mandated coverage that a young person most likely doesn't need is the only reason they were allowed to be kept on a family policy as dependents

For that matter calling anyone over 21 a dependent for tax purposes is another way we can't seem to tell who is actually an adult or not

either the age of majority is 18, 21 or 26

Pick one

I agree but 20 and thirty somethings are not 12 years old. I mean if adult just means whatever you feel then is "tried as an adult" even a thing since there is no rhyme or reason behind it

A large percentage of those "adults" seem to act like they're still children.

In my mind adulthood and adult responsibilities become pertinent the moment you decide to act like an adult or expect to be treated like an adult. That includes the moment you conspire with another person to kill a third person.

In my mind adulthood and adult responsibilities become pertinent the moment you decide to act like an adult or expect to be treated like an adult. That includes the moment you conspire with another person to kill a third person.

I think this idea that committing a crime is the "Actions of an adult" is a stretch that has no ending. Like I said if 12 isnt too young then what is? 10? 8? It doesnt seem to have an end at all

I think this idea that committing a crime is the "Actions of an adult" is a stretch that has no ending. Like I said if 12 isnt too young then what is? 10? 8? It doesnt seem to have an end at all

It ends at the moment the child doesn't understand what it is they're doing or proposing to do. I was probably mentally fit to be considered an adult between ages 10 & 12. Definitely by 13.

These two understood enough to conspire, and to hide their intent. That's adult enough for me.

Wisconsin Girls Will Be Tried as Adults in ‘Slender Man’ Attack

CoiabtgWcAEMD1V.jpg

A Wisconsin state appeals court ruled Wednesday that two girls accused of trying to kill their classmate in an attempt to please the fictional horror character Slender Man should be tried as adults.

Investigators say the girls, who were 12 at the time of the attack in 2014, plotted for months before luring their classmate into some woods after a birthday sleepover and repeatedly stabbing her. The victim, who was also 12, was found along a road, bleeding from 19 stab wounds that nearly killed her.

The girls have been charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide and if convicted could go to prison for up to 65 years. As juveniles, they could be incarcerated for up to three years then supervised until age 18.

ASOLUTELY tried as adults.

They committed the crime at the age of 12 tho? Heinous as it is should they be punished for life for what they did at 12?

Their age is irrelevant. What they did is relevant.

Should they be punished for life for what they did at 12? In this case, yes.

Are you saying at 12 the criminals didn't know what they were doing? Their actions in planning it and carrying it out show an ability to think like adults. Why shouldn't the actions of actually doing it be considered the same.

Wisconsin Girls Will Be Tried as Adults in ‘Slender Man’ Attack

CoiabtgWcAEMD1V.jpg

A Wisconsin state appeals court ruled Wednesday that two girls accused of trying to kill their classmate in an attempt to please the fictional horror character Slender Man should be tried as adults.

Investigators say the girls, who were 12 at the time of the attack in 2014, plotted for months before luring their classmate into some woods after a birthday sleepover and repeatedly stabbing her. The victim, who was also 12, was found along a road, bleeding from 19 stab wounds that nearly killed her.

The girls have been charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide and if convicted could go to prison for up to 65 years. As juveniles, they could be incarcerated for up to three years then supervised until age 18.

ASOLUTELY tried as adults.

They committed the crime at the age of 12 tho? Heinous as it is should they be punished for life for what they did at 12?

Will the victim be fully recovered by age 18?

That should be all that matters when deciding how to charge perpetrators.

The seriousness of the crime is the major issue in whether to try them as adults. So I suppose in a way it was certainly a major consideration.

Forum List

Back