🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Charging Kids as Adults...What say you?

Wisconsin Girls Will Be Tried as Adults in ‘Slender Man’ Attack

CoiabtgWcAEMD1V.jpg

A Wisconsin state appeals court ruled Wednesday that two girls accused of trying to kill their classmate in an attempt to please the fictional horror character Slender Man should be tried as adults.

Investigators say the girls, who were 12 at the time of the attack in 2014, plotted for months before luring their classmate into some woods after a birthday sleepover and repeatedly stabbing her. The victim, who was also 12, was found along a road, bleeding from 19 stab wounds that nearly killed her.

The girls have been charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide and if convicted could go to prison for up to 65 years. As juveniles, they could be incarcerated for up to three years then supervised until age 18.

ASOLUTELY tried as adults.

They committed the crime at the age of 12 tho? Heinous as it is should they be punished for life for what they did at 12?

Will the victim be fully recovered by age 18?

That should be all that matters when deciding how to charge perpetrators.

The seriousness of the crime is the major issue in whether to try them as adults. So I suppose in a way it was certainly a major consideration.

It's the only consideration that matters.

CoiabtgWcAEMD1V.jpg

A Wisconsin state appeals court ruled Wednesday that two girls accused of trying to kill their classmate in an attempt to please the fictional horror character Slender Man should be tried as adults.

Investigators say the girls, who were 12 at the time of the attack in 2014, plotted for months before luring their classmate into some woods after a birthday sleepover and repeatedly stabbing her. The victim, who was also 12, was found along a road, bleeding from 19 stab wounds that nearly killed her.

The girls have been charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide and if convicted could go to prison for up to 65 years. As juveniles, they could be incarcerated for up to three years then supervised until age 18.

They committed the crime at the age of 12 tho? Heinous as it is should they be punished for life for what they did at 12?

The seriousness of the crime is the major issue in whether to try them as adults. So I suppose in a way it was certainly a major consideration.

I was speaking more towards the attitude of some of the board buffoons rather than the legal system.

CoiabtgWcAEMD1V.jpg

I agree. If they can plan a murder then they should be tried as adults.

These aren't six year olds.

Hope the little shits like prison.

The deductive reasoning and the step by step planning that doing this involved is on the level of adult thinking ability. If they can do that, the action itself is one that should be treated as an adult action regardless of age.

I don't think a 12 year old is an adult

Do you think they knew it was wrong? How about the careful planning? All adult actions. First degree try as adults sentence as adults.

I don't agree the reasoning skills of a twelve year old are the same as an adult...that's why we don't allow them to drive
But some of them could drive if allowed. That's where your analogy breaks down.

That and murder isn't allowed at any age.

In fact, your pathetic analogy just sucks.

I agree but 20 and thirty somethings are not 12 years old. I mean if adult just means whatever you feel then is "tried as an adult" even a thing since there is no rhyme or reason behind it

A large percentage of those "adults" seem to act like they're still children.

In my mind adulthood and adult responsibilities become pertinent the moment you decide to act like an adult or expect to be treated like an adult. That includes the moment you conspire with another person to kill a third person.

I think this idea that committing a crime is the "Actions of an adult" is a stretch that has no ending. Like I said if 12 isnt too young then what is? 10? 8? It doesnt seem to have an end at all
Idiotic. "You can't charge a 12 year old unless you also charge an 8 year old".

Idiotic.

I don't think a 12 year old is an adult

Do you think they knew it was wrong? How about the careful planning? All adult actions. First degree try as adults sentence as adults.

I don't agree the reasoning skills of a twelve year old are the same as an adult...that's why we don't allow them to drive
So you think a twelve year old dosen't know that planning a murder, choosing a weapon, luring one's victim into the woods is wrong?

Or that stabbing someone 19 times likely means the victim will die ... a permanent condition. 12 year olds understand what can cause death and that death is irreversible, unlike Wiley Coyote cartoons.

I don't see a problem with trying them girls as adults. By the time a person is 12 years old, they should know by then what is right and what is wrong.

God bless you and their victim always!!!

Holly

If children are exposed to "adult" literature, films, and political propaganda ..... then it's the media, film-makers, politicians, and parents who ought to be held responsible and tried for the 'adult' crimes that those children commit.
thehangman-1-l-48x48.png
You are certifiable.

When you were 12 did you know it was wrong to stab someone 19 times? These girls are psychopaths. They will never be productive members of society, only a danger, so why give them the opportunity to hurt someone else when they're older?

Then they should be in mental institutions, not prisons.
Only if they spend the rest of their lives in straitjackets, in padded cells with the doors WELDED closed, never leaving except in body bags.

When you were 12 did you know it was wrong to stab someone 19 times? These girls are psychopaths. They will never be productive members of society, only a danger, so why give them the opportunity to hurt someone else when they're older?

Then they should be in mental institutions, not prisons.
Only if they spend the rest of their lives in straitjackets, in padded cells with the doors WELDED closed, never leaving except in body bags.

It is what we are doing with sex offenders.

If children are exposed to "adult" literature, films, and political propaganda ..... then it's the media, film-makers, politicians, and parents who ought to be held responsible and tried for the 'adult' crimes that those children commit.
thehangman-1-l-48x48.png

Truly a terrifying proposition.

CoiabtgWcAEMD1V.jpg

These little psycho babes probably should do more jail time than just 3 years.

The judge will probably be lenient and take their immaturity into account.

I'll be that as adults they only get a 10 year sentence and then serve 5 of it.

Poor little evil b!tches.

We really can't seem to make up our minds in this country as to when a person is an adult.

We'll give an 18 year old an automatic weapon and drop him in the middle of a war zone but then tell him he can't buy a beer.
Now we'll say 2 12 year old girls are adults for trial purposes

But a 26 year old can still be on mommy's insurance

Man are we fucked up or what?
18 is the legal age of responsibility for the purposes of punishment however the brain is not fully mature until 25.

I would move the legal age up to 25.

CoiabtgWcAEMD1V.jpg

It always takes longer than to age 18.

Normally to 25 or 30 before they truly realize what they have done.

12 year-olds are not adults. On the other hand, what ever is wrong with these girls is unlikely to be magically cured when they turn 18. Assuming their guilt, they need to be kept out of normal society for a very long time.

CoiabtgWcAEMD1V.jpg

You can be tried as an adult in Wisconsin at age 10. Frankly, mom wanting a "residential treatment center" for the girl with schizophrenia is inadequate. Most residential treatment centers are limited on lock down space (if it exists at all) and are not usually even close to having a 3 year program. Most of them aren't really equipped to deal with aggression (no matter what the hell they advertise) and the kid gets arrested simply because she becomes a danger when she has a psychotic break and beats the living shit out of staff. ...or the insurance stops covering it.

As is 3 years in the DOC and then released to inadequate supervision that may or not exist in that time frame due to whatever cuts are made.

Wisconsin, like all other states, no longer has mental health facilities worth a damn (if they ever did). One of those girls will be dealing with a life long illness. I don't think Wisconsin has any state psychiatric hospitals where a juvenile can be sentenced.

So, something in between will need to be built or change the law. Do I think that 12 is too young to be tried as an adult? Yes. However, there are certain crimes where being tried as an adult at the age of 16 (and sometimes 15 depending on the history) is appropriate.Armed robbery with a deadly weapon and an injury, rape, carjacking, murder, kidnapping, etc. meets that criteria.

Last edited:

CoiabtgWcAEMD1V.jpg

You can be tried as an adult in Wisconsin at age 10. Frankly, mom wanting a "residential treatment center" for the girl with schizophrenia is inadequate. Most residential treatment centers are limited on lock down space (if it exists at all) and are not usually even close to having a 3 year program. Most of them aren't really equipped to deal with aggression (no matter what the hell they advertise) and the kid gets arrested simply because she becomes a danger when she has a psychotic break and beats the living shit out of staff. ...or the insurance stops covering it.

As is 3 years in the DOC and then released to inadequate supervision that may or not exist in that time frame due to whatever cuts are made.

Wisconsin, like all other states, no longer has mental health facilities worth a damn (if they ever did). One of those girls will be dealing with a life long illness. I don't think Wisconsin has any state psychiatric hospitals where a juvenile can be sentenced.

So, something in between will need to be built or change the law. Do I think that 12 is too young to be tried as an adult? Yes. However, there are certain crimes where being tried as an adult at the age of 16 (and sometimes 15 depending on the history) is appropriate.Armed robbery with a deadly weapon and an injury, rape, carjacking, murder, kidnapping, etc. meets that criteria.

I watched a show just now about two 12 year olds tried and convicted as adults. They were in different prisons but both in juvenile wings of their adult prisons. I'm not sure if that's the norm. I hope so. They move to the adult population when they turn 18.

Forum List

Back