‘Cheap manufacturing be damned’: Sentiment builds for moving U.S. companies out of China

More and more it is becoming clear the right doesn’t understand economics....
More and more..........we don't give a damn about the Globalist........nor giving the advantage to a future enemy........China isn't our friend.
China is doomed. They doomed themselves with pollution and the one child policy. Plus they will be replaced as the cheapest producer. Stop worrying about China.
They have stole military tech and are becoming a threat in that aspect........because of their manufacturing............in regards to pollution..........yeah.........THEY ARE SCREWED....not to mention the water problems up North........

Water there is TOXIC........I've read up on some of that.
And think about the one child policy. We are gonna have financial problems supporting the baby boomers. China went nuclear with that problem. Gonna have too many non workers and too few to support them thanks to one child policy.

More and more..........we don't give a damn about the Globalist........nor giving the advantage to a future enemy........China isn't our friend.
China is doomed. They doomed themselves with pollution and the one child policy. Plus they will be replaced as the cheapest producer. Stop worrying about China.
They have stole military tech and are becoming a threat in that aspect........because of their manufacturing............in regards to pollution..........yeah.........THEY ARE SCREWED....not to mention the water problems up North........

And think about the one child policy. We are gonna have financial problems supporting the baby boomers. China went nuclear with that problem. Gonna have too many non workers and too few to support them thanks to one child policy.
They had to do something.......There is a finite number they can support....especially with the water issue........They are pumping toxic water north to water agro.......it's a tragedy coming..........but I'm dead on right about them improving their military...............In the Ukraine they stole the engine tech to get 5th generation engines for stealth fighters.

They had to do something.......There is a finite number they can support....especially with the water issue........They are pumping toxic water north to water agro.......it's a tragedy coming..........but I'm dead on right about them improving their military...............In the Ukraine they stole the engine tech to get 5th generation engines for stealth fighters.
They will have economic decline long before their military is near ours.

and cheap labor from anywhere too

showing that, once again, Trump was correct

we need to make our own stuff and never be reliant on ANY other country for the things we need

that includes oil from the ME as well

Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

LINK

American companies that produce essential goods in China should plan to shift their operations back to the United States or other Western countries, according to a senior Republican lawmaker.

“We're staring into a significant, significant crisis of supply chain,” Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner told the Washington Examiner. “Cheap labor or cheap manufacturing be damned if you are reliant on them for your life and livelihood.”

Gardner’s warning was spurred by the shortage of hospital masks in the United States, a dearth driven by Beijing’s refusal to allow American companies that make the products in China to ship them out of the country amid the coronavirus pandemic. And he’s not alone in that sentiment, raising the possibility that anger over China’s self-interested response to the coronavirus outbreak could produce one of the most dramatic alterations of global economics in decades.

“Because of the coronavirus problem, people are recognizing that any supply chain that has single points of failure is incredibly vulnerable,” the Heritage Foundation’s Dean Cheng, a senior research fellow in the organization’s Asian Studies Center, told the Washington Examiner. “China is going to be very concerned about decoupling, offshoring, [or any] redirection of investments out of China.”

I thought it was stupid and shortsighted when they did it initially. I watched as our semiconductor industry moved everything out of silicon valley where it came about and off chasing cheap labor all over the globe till it came to rest in mainland China today. But you just can't tell our idiotic governments or the MBA fools in industry anything. They have all the answers to see all the way forward through the next 90 whole days.

We shall see...........but why should we not make our own goods ........especially our medicine ......and materials needed for our military..............We SHOULDN'T.........

I'm 100% for it. Regardless we have to continue exports to maintain our status as world power, otherwise we'd give that status to China. If countries were to become isolated, then yes, no country would complete with the USA, we'd be set.

I think we should also end foreigners owning U.S. real estate. That said millennial's already screwed the pooch on that one. Many figured they were above property ownership. They didn't take into account they'll be paying the Chinese rent in the form of 5Kish by their 60th B-days.
Isolated countries fail economically.

To be fair, there has never been an isolated country on a scale of the US.

AND, as we seen to be destined to be fucked by any trading partner, isolation could be a competitive policy.

THe choice seems to be either be the world's bitch, or take our ball and go home.
How do you mean? The USSR failed miserably. Pretty big country.

Failed because they tried to have a big empire AND we fought them.

Not because they were isolated.
Being isolated is bad for capitalism. Very bad .

Being the world's bitch on trade, hasn't been that great either.

If only there was a third option. But there does not seem to be one.
We have the biggest economy in the world with the most wealth and we’ve had super low unemployment. Seems to be fine.

No, we're not. Our middle class wages have stagnated and our middle class and lower class have lost faith in the future.

People are dying from this shit. To the point that our life expectancy is actually FALLING.

Good macro economic numbers have been hiding generations of pain.

Try to change policy.
That is an internal problem . We have the wealth and jobs. That wouldn’t change if we were isolated.

It is not an internal problem. It is a problem caused by external trade and the inflow of labor.

Time to change policy.
What do you base that on. Again, tons of wealth and jobs. That’s the formula for good wages. If we had too much inflow we’d have high unemployment and certainly wouldn’t have labor shortages. Your claim is baseless. Learn some economics.

Because we have NOT had rising wages for the middle class and working poor.

If it is the formula for "good wages" something went wrong.
Yes something is wrong. Has nothing to do with trade. We have near monopolies, wage collusion, government corruption... internal problems have hurt the market.

How do you know which factors are causing the issue? Cause the reduction of demand, by losing so many manufacturing jobs, while flooding the labor market, seems, like two factors that could have quite an impact.

We shall see...........but why should we not make our own goods ........especially our medicine ......and materials needed for our military..............We SHOULDN'T.........
There is an argument for a few things, but do we want to increase healthcare costs? They increasing too much already.

There is an argument for a few things, but do we want to increase healthcare costs? They increasing too much already.
Can't depend on others for essential goods...........the costs.................are also a product of money manipulation........we have been killing the dollar for a long time now......in the world now they kill their own currency for trade...........INSANITY from when I was a kid.........Tricky Dick changed all that.

Good luck with that.

Agreed. That "anger" over the Chinese wanting to use Chinese production to save chines lives?

That will fade. The money to be mad by cheap labor will be just a glittering, in a year or two, as it was, ten or twenty or thirty years ago when we decided to start fucking over the American worked in favor of the chinese worker.

Well again, if you can't make it profitably with US labor, then it simply won't be made with US labor.

It doesn't matter if there is a virus in China, or whatever. Math doesn't magically change, because you don't like China.

If China is too risky to invest in, that still doesn't mean it will be built in the US, if the math doesn't work. They'll simply make it elsewhere.

You can't hiring people that are too expensive, to make products. Until that changes, nothing else in the world matters.

Good luck with that.

Agreed. That "anger" over the Chinese wanting to use Chinese production to save chines lives?

That will fade. The money to be mad by cheap labor will be just a glittering, in a year or two, as it was, ten or twenty or thirty years ago when we decided to start fucking over the American worked in favor of the chinese worker.

Well again, if you can't make it profitably with US labor, then it simply won't be made with US labor.

It doesn't matter if there is a virus in China, or whatever. Math doesn't magically change, because you don't like China.

If China is too risky to invest in, that still doesn't mean it will be built in the US, if the math doesn't work. They'll simply make it elsewhere.

You can't hiring people that are too expensive, to make products. Until that changes, nothing else in the world matters.

What if there is a nice sized, tariff on imports into the US? So that the profit margin from the cheap labor is all eaten up by the Evul Government?

we need to make our own stuff and never be reliant on ANY other country for the things we need

Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

LINK

American companies that produce essential goods in China should plan to shift their operations back to the United States or other Western countries, according to a senior Republican lawmaker.

“We're staring into a significant, significant crisis of supply chain,” Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner told the Washington Examiner. “Cheap labor or cheap manufacturing be damned if you are reliant on them for your life and livelihood.”

Gardner’s warning was spurred by the shortage of hospital masks in the United States, a dearth driven by Beijing’s refusal to allow American companies that make the products in China to ship them out of the country amid the coronavirus pandemic. And he’s not alone in that sentiment, raising the possibility that anger over China’s self-interested response to the coronavirus outbreak could produce one of the most dramatic alterations of global economics in decades.

“Because of the coronavirus problem, people are recognizing that any supply chain that has single points of failure is incredibly vulnerable,” the Heritage Foundation’s Dean Cheng, a senior research fellow in the organization’s Asian Studies Center, told the Washington Examiner. “China is going to be very concerned about decoupling, offshoring, [or any] redirection of investments out of China.”

I thought it was stupid and shortsighted when they did it initially. I watched as our semiconductor industry moved everything out of silicon valley where it came about and off chasing cheap labor all over the globe till it came to rest in mainland China today. But you just can't tell our idiotic governments or the MBA fools in industry anything. They have all the answers to see all the way forward through the next 90 whole days.

Ok, so I'll ask the same question I did last time this came up.

I worked at a company that was offered a contract to produce a specific product, for a specific price. We ran the numbers, and ran the numbers again, and each assessment resulted that producing the product in our own facilities would result in a loss of money of about 15%. Meaning we would be spending $1 Million, to earn $850 thousand.

Now at this time, the company was already in a financial crunch. To be blunt, we needed the contract, but we also needed a profitable contract. We contracted the customer, explained our price point, and the customer turned it down. No deal. Not interested.

So told them to give us another month.

Now what would you have done? Made the product here, with US labor, and just lost money, possibly losing your entire business? And by the way, your home and your retirement, and end up with debt?

Or would you do what our company did, which was we outsourced to China, and made the product profitably?

What would have told those MBA fools? That if they produced the product here, and end up losing their entire careers, and their companies, that this was good for America? And how would that have been good?

Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

LINK

I worked at a company that was offered a contract to produce a specific product, for a specific price. We ran the numbers, and ran the numbers again, and each assessment resulted that producing the product in our own facilities would result in a loss of money of about 15%. Meaning we would be spending $1 Million, to earn $850 thousand.

Now at this time, the company was already in a financial crunch. To be blunt, we needed the contract, but we also needed a profitable contract. We contracted the customer, explained our price point, and the customer turned it down. No deal. Not interested.

Now what would you have done? Made the product here, with US labor, and just lost money, possibly losing your entire business? And by the way, your home and your retirement, and end up with debt?

Or would you do what our company did, which was we outsourced to China, and made the product profitably?

What would have told those MBA fools? That if they produced the product here, and end up losing their entire careers, and their companies, that this was good for America? And how would that have been good?

Sounds like American labor can't compete with Third World labor on a level playing field.

Good luck with that.

What if there is a nice sized, tariff on imports into the US? So that the profit margin from the cheap labor is all eaten up by the Evul Government?

Well first, that has never worked in all human history. Cuba tried that. Venezuela tried that. Jamacia tried that. Even look at Russia today. The sanctions imposed by the US and western countries, is basically the most effective tariff in the world.

So why hasn't the economy of Russia been booming? By your logic, preventing cheap imported goods, should have been a big win for Russia. Instead their economy is crap.

There is no country, nor at any time in history, where preventing imported goods has resulted in an economic benefit. Never in US history, nor any other country.

Some classic counter examples would be Japan and India. Both had massive protectionist policies against trade, and both were devastating to their respective countries.

And the reason is pretty simple.

The support for the concept is that it will boost workers wages. Which is true, it will boost workers wages.... but not all workers, only those workers in that specific group of people behind the tariff. For everyone else, it just means higher prices.

My company isn't going to benefit from any tariff. So my wages won't go up at all. So I'll see higher prices for everything I buy, and I won't have a higher wage to match.

What does that mean for me? I'll be poorer, and live a lower standard of living.

Additionally it doesn't even help ALL workers behind the tariff either. Only those that keep their jobs, while many will lose their jobs.

Why will many lose their jobs? Because higher prices, mean lower buying.

Example... let's say the government passed a law that increased the cost of an oil change by 4X. That would be a huge benefit to oil change workers.... right? Or would it?

At four times the price, would it be worth it to have a $25 oil change done for $100? I could buy all the tools and supplies I need to change my oil myself, for a year, for less than $100.

No, I'll just change my own oil. Now some people will still get a professional oil change for $100. But most will start doing it themselves, or using black market backyard mechanics that will do it off the books for 1/4th the price.

Most of the oil change guys will go out of business.

This is why economies behind protectionism, always fail.

Good luck with that.

Well first, that has never worked in all human history. Cuba tried that. Venezuela tried that. Jamacia tried that. Even look at Russia today. The sanctions imposed by the US and western countries, is basically the most effective tariff in the world.

So why hasn't the economy of Russia been booming? By your logic, preventing cheap imported goods, should have been a big win for Russia. Instead their economy is crap.

There is no country, nor at any time in history, where preventing imported goods has resulted in an economic benefit. Never in US history, nor any other country.

Some classic counter examples would be Japan and India. Both had massive protectionist policies against trade, and both were devastating to their respective countries.

The support for the concept is that it will boost workers wages. Which is true, it will boost workers wages.... but not all workers, only those workers in that specific group of people behind the tariff. For everyone else, it just means higher prices.

My company isn't going to benefit from any tariff. So my wages won't go up at all. So I'll see higher prices for everything I buy, and I won't have a higher wage to match.

What does that mean for me? I'll be poorer, and live a lower standard of living.

Additionally it doesn't even help ALL workers behind the tariff either. Only those that keep their jobs, while many will lose their jobs.

Example... let's say the government passed a law that increased the cost of an oil change by 4X. That would be a huge benefit to oil change workers.... right? Or would it?

At four times the price, would it be worth it to have a $25 oil change done for $100? I could buy all the tools and supplies I need to change my oil myself, for a year, for less than $100.

No, I'll just change my own oil. Now some people will still get a professional oil change for $100. But most will start doing it themselves, or using black market backyard mechanics that will do it off the books for 1/4th the price.

Worked for the US in the late 1800s, and earlier 1900s.

I'm 100% for it. Regardless we have to continue exports to maintain our status as world power, otherwise we'd give that status to China. If countries were to become isolated, then yes, no country would complete with the USA, we'd be set.

I think we should also end foreigners owning U.S. real estate. That said millennial's already screwed the pooch on that one. Many figured they were above property ownership. They didn't take into account they'll be paying the Chinese rent in the form of 5Kish by their 60th B-days.
Isolated countries fail economically.
We were pax americana for a good chunk of our history. We could take care of ourselves for the most part and did. We limited what could come in here except raw materials. It helped us to become number one. That and location with beating the competition in the western hemisphere gave us our hegemony and good living.

Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

LINK

Sounds like American labor can't compete with Third World labor on a level playing field.

Compare the US economy to any third world economy. By what economic measure would you say we can't compete?

Compare unemployment. Compare median income. Compared level of productivity.

We have competed, and very successfully so. Yes there are many things manufactured outside the US, that are imported here, because they can't be produced profitably here.

Again, back to my example above. Let's say that you banned imported products from China, or you imposed protectionist tariffs on imports from China.

How would that allow us to compete with Third World labor?

Do you think that if my company was unable to outsource to China, that we would have made the product in the US? Preventing imported goods, would not have magically made the math add up.

If the product is not profitable to make in the US with outsourcing.... why would it magically be profitable without outsourcing?

Again, the customer refused to pay more for the product. If we could not outsource to China... then they simply would have done without the product.
Because obviously we're not going to build a money losing product, even if we can't outsource it to China.

So under your system, if we had not been able to outsource... then we simply would not not made the product at all... we would have not made the sale, not provided jobs, not made any profit here in the US.

How is that better?

Good luck with that.

Worked for the US in the late 1800s, and earlier 1900s.

No it didn't. Not even close. We had no protectionism in the 1900s. And while we had a few very isolated examples of protectionism in the 1800s, they were terrible, and had bad results. That's why we eliminated them.

that includes oild from the ME as well

Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

LINK

Big business isn't going to move their manufacturing back here on their own.

Tax cuts didn't do it. Removing regulation didn't do it. Not raising the minimum wage didn't do it. Giving them tax breaks on revenues generated outside the US didn't do it.

The only thing that will get big business to return to America is to force them by making it too expensive to manufacture overseas.

The only way to do that is with taxes. Impose massive taxes on those who move to make it too expensive to be overseas.

Only then will we see manufacturing return to America.

If you were alive before Reagan, that's what our government did. Imposed high taxes on high wage and salaries, high taxes on unearned income and high taxes on big business. The manufacturing stayed in America. Reagan slashed taxes on business. That's when our jobs started leaving. In those years it was to Japan.

So return to high taxes on high wages, unearned income, big business and impose high taxes on those who don't manufacture here, only then you will see manufacturing return.
Here's a radical idea.

How about not taxing corporations that don't go overseas.

Making the corporate tax $0 would bring businesses back, and keep American businesses from leaving.

Corporate taxes are a tarrif on American companies.

Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

LINK

Compare the US economy to any third world economy. By what economic measure would you say we can't compete?

Compare unemployment. Compare median income. Compared level of productivity.

We have competed, and very successfully so. Yes there are many things manufactured outside the US, that are imported here, because they can't be produced profitably here.

Again, back to my example above. Let's say that you banned imported products from China, or you imposed protectionist tariffs on imports from China.

How would that allow us to compete with Third World labor?

Interesting. I pointed out that from your story it seems that American LABOR, can't compete on a level playing field with Third World labor, and you ignored that, to address a question I did not ask.

To your question. It would allow US labor to compete with Third World labor, at least here in the US.

It is a start.

Forum List

Back