Cheney Defends Rumsfeld: 'Get Off His Case'

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
Cheney Defends Rumsfeld: 'Get Off His Case'

55 minutes ago Add Politics to My Yahoo!

By Randall Mikkelsen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) moved to support Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld amid a firestorm over Iraqi prison abuses, with a statement that people should "get off his case" and let Rumsfeld do his job.

"Don Rumsfeld is the best secretary of defense the United States has ever had," Cheney, who has sometimes taken a lead role in advancing White House positions, said in a statement issued by his office late on Saturday.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040509/pl_nm/iraq_abuse_cheney_dc

I truely feel sorry for Rumsfeld. Because right now, he's nothing more than "the fall guy".

Liberal democraps call Conservatives "mean and war mongers". Well I'll tell ya, there's nothing MEANER than a liberal that can SMELL BLOOD on a Conservative.

Originally posted by SpidermanTuba
Does Heir Cheney actually qualify that statement, or are we to take his word for it?

"You".... can take his word for it.

Don Rumsfeld is supposed to be the fall guy. That's his fricken job. When you are the head of a large organization, you are responsible for everything that goes on in it. Maybe not criminally responsible, but responsible to the point he ought be fired.

Don Rumsfeld is supposed to be the fall guy. That's his fricken job. When you are the head of a large organization, you are responsible for everything that goes on in it. Maybe not criminally responsible, but responsible to the point he ought be fired.

I disagree. Rumsfeld may hold some culpability but that is yet to be determined. So far, it seems he's done everything by the book. Theres been no coverup, except what looks like an attempt by General Myers to have CBS avoid the story, but so far it looks like Rumsfeld is doing his job.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I disagree. Rumsfeld may hold some culpability but that is yet to be determined. So far, it seems he's done everything by the book. Theres been no coverup, except what looks like an attempt by General Myers to have CBS avoid the story, but so far it looks like Rumsfeld is doing his job.

Part of Rumsfeld's job is to make sure our troops aren't torturing unarmed and helpless "detainees." He failed at that.

Part of Rumsfeld's job is to make sure our troops aren't torturing unarmed and helpless "detainees." He failed at that.

This is not true. the job of ensuring good treatment of prisoners is the captains job, or major, or even colonels job. Its the Sec Def's job to ensure that the generals do their job, and the generals ensure that his lower officers do their job. So far, I see rumsfeld as doing his job.

Pale Rider-

Yeah, it's great that Bush has sent Cheney out to vehemently support Rummy. Just like the 9/11 Commission of Comedy, it is blatantly obvious that the Democrats are going to use this to try to get to Bush. Yeah, someone has to accept responsibility, AND THEY HAVE! The first court martial was handed down a few hours ago, and I promise that people far up the chain will pay. Still, I think going all the WAY up to Rummy is an overreaction and one driven by politics.

I mean, William Cohen- among all of the other Clinton cabinet members- turned down the Sudan offer to have bin Laden handed over, yet HE kept his job as Secretary of Defense. Clinton committed perjury and was impeached, but HE kept his job. So, why the FU*& should Rummy resign because some morons down the chain decided to shame America & all the great men & women in our military? Rummy has done a great job prosecuting two wars, overhauling the military & DOD, and preparing us for a new kind of war, one very different from the Cold War.

Basically, the liberals know if they can get Rummy out, they will have a better shot at defunding the war & making sure we lose, just like they did in Vietnam.

Does Heir Cheney actually qualify that statement, or are we to take his word for it?
Using descriptives such as "Heir Cheney" and "Shrub" or "Bushies" does undermine the credibility of your posts.

This is not true. the job of ensuring good treatment of prisoners is the captains job, or major, or even colonels job. Its the Sec Def's job to ensure that the generals do their job, and the generals ensure that his lower officers do their job. So far, I see rumsfeld as doing his job.

Exactly.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Using descriptives such as "Heir Cheney" and "Shrub" or "Bushies" does undermine the credibility of your posts.

As does the content of his posts, along with the tone and well...basically the posts themselves undermine his credibility.

Why is this so hard for some people to understand? This is getting blown WAY out of proportion for people to want Rumsfeld to leave! I mean, they wanted him to leave before he got there, lol, but to use this (and believe it), it just dumbfounds me!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

There's an old saying in the military, and I should know, I spent eight years in the Air Force. R.H.I.P., which means Rank Has It's Priviledges. There's another one, "shit rolls down hill". In other words, you're not taking the man at the top unless you can prove it's something he was involved in specifically.

Originally posted by MtnBiker

You know that is a good point. I never liked Clinton and I really loathe Carter. But I would never call them names out of respect no matter how much I dont respect them. I still have respect for the office.

Originally posted by Pale Rider

There's an old saying in the military, and I should know, I spent eight years in the Air Force. R.H.I.P., which means Rank Has It's Priviledges. There's another one, "shit rolls down hill". In other words, you're not taking the man at the top unless you can prove it's something he was involved in specifically.

Surprised you are agreeing with DK? I am! HAHAHAHA

Originally posted by Patriot
Surprised you are agreeing with DK? I am! HAHAHAHA

That just goes to show, when somethings right it's right. Doesn't matter who said it.

(I doubt we'll ever agree on much else.)

That just goes to show, when somethings right it's right. Doesn't matter who said it.

I suggest you do a search on his name. That way you can see what he has written. DK is not a liberal by the derogatory definition that is used today to define Kerry, Clinton, Kennedy and the like.

He has very well thought out ideas and a background in the military. If anything he is a moderate that leans towards the democrats.

Just go read his posts before your start a war you can't win.

not quite the irrational lib you thought I was, huh? ;)

we might not, but then again we might. Theres no telling. Like some of the older posters have said, I'm not the everyday lib.

Forum List

Back