Chicago police: If you carry a gun, we're trained to shoot you

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
Sounds like the Chicago police are still being trained to think that anyone with a gun is automatically a criminal. Not only that, but is actively trying to kill a cop.

I'd say that, now that Chicago is being slowly dragged into the civilized world, perhaps a little attitude adjustment is needed here.

To put it mildly.

In a place like Los Angeles, if a cop sees you carrying a gun, he does not automatically shoot you. If you point the gun at the cop, then he will shoot you... and that's what he should do. There's no reason why a cop should wait until you actually pull the trigger (which can result in a dead cop).

It's a fine line. But most cities draw that line in the right place. Time for Chicago to start doing it too.

Note for Chicago Police Superintendent: It's legal for ordinary citizens to carry a gun. I believe there's a very old document somewhere that even says so. And they aren't all out to get you.

If you can't handle the situation, then maybe you should take up breadmaking, or knitting.

-------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Police: If You Carry a Gun, We're Trained to Shoot You : The Last Resistance

Chicago Police: If You Carry a Gun, We're Trained to Shoot You

September 4, 2013
by Philip Hodges

If you remember, Illinois recently enacted a concealed carry law, albeit a very restrictive one. The Chicago Police Superintendent isn’t too happy with it. He thinks that more guns equals more crime. He also warned that the new law will create more incidents of cop-on-civilian shootings. He made his warning known in a radio interview:

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings. I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

He acknowledged that unfortunately there are many cases of police shooting innocent and unarmed citizens, but having concealed carriers around will only make that problem worse.

Sounds like the police chief needs to come to TX for a bit of remedial education. Properly trained CHL holders are trained how to act around a cop, the cops need the same training.

Sounds like the Chicago police are still being trained to think that anyone with a gun is automatically a criminal. Not only that, but is actively trying to kill a cop.

I'd say that, now that Chicago is being slowly dragged into the civilized world, perhaps a little attitude adjustment is needed here.

To put it mildly.

In a place like Los Angeles, if a cop sees you carrying a gun, he does not automatically shoot you. If you point the gun at the cop, then he will shoot you... and that's what he should do. There's no reason why a cop should wait until you actually pull the trigger (which can result in a dead cop).

It's a fine line. But most cities draw that line in the right place. Time for Chicago to start doing it too.

Note for Chicago Police Superintendent: It's legal for ordinary citizens to carry a gun. I believe there's a very old document somewhere that even says so. And they aren't all out to get you.

If you can't handle the situation, then maybe you should take up breadmaking, or knitting.

Chicago Police: If You Carry a Gun, We're Trained to Shoot You : The Last Resistance

September 4, 2013
by Philip Hodges

If you remember, Illinois recently enacted a concealed carry law, albeit a very restrictive one. The Chicago Police Superintendent isn’t too happy with it. He thinks that more guns equals more crime. He also warned that the new law will create more incidents of cop-on-civilian shootings. He made his warning known in a radio interview:

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings. I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

He acknowledged that unfortunately there are many cases of police shooting innocent and unarmed citizens, but having concealed carriers around will only make that problem worse.

What baffles me is why you would lie about what a blog says, at the same time posting the blog itself? You say,

"Sounds like the Chicago police are still being trained to think that anyone with a gun is automatically a criminal. Not only that, but is actively trying to kill a cop."

The blog says:

"So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”
Read more at http://lastresistance.com/3142/chicago-police-carry-gun-trained-shoot/#Qw2M5ahas5xeIGgf.99"

Do you think that people are not smart enough to read your sources and see how you distorted them?

What baffles me is why you would lie about what a blog says, at the same time posting the blog itself? You say,

"Sounds like the Chicago police are still being trained to think that anyone with a gun is automatically a criminal. Not only that, but is actively trying to kill a cop."

The blog says:

"So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”
Read more at http://lastresistance.com/3142/chicago-police-carry-gun-trained-shoot/#Qw2M5ahas5xeIGgf.99"

Do you think that people are not smart enough to read your sources and see how you distorted them?

...waiting patiently for you to identify any distortion or lie....

(yawn)

And, this is what all cops are trained to do.

Question for the OP - would you prefer they wait until they're shot before they can fire back?

You carry a gun you are more of a threat than someone who doesn't

Its the price you pay for a second amendment

Properly trained CHL holders are trained how to act around a cop, the cops need the same training.

And anyone with half a brain also knows that you do not, repeat not, point a gun at a cop. How much "training" do you need for that?

When I did driver training for my car, way back when I was a teenager, I don't recall anybody instructing me not to point my car at another person and hit the gas... nor did they say I should not point the car at a cop and hit the gas.

And yet, even without somebody sitting down and telling me those things, somehow I knew it anyway.

And I also knew I should not point a gun at a cop.

And so does anyone else who isn't completely stupid.

And that's why being in a nation that lets ordinary law-abiding citizens (that's most people) carry guns, does NOT result in bloody carnage on every street corner, every day.

And it's why this Chicago cop is wrong in setting up his training program the way he describes, if he's the one setting it up.

To put it mildly.

September 4, 2013
by Philip Hodges

It's currently illegal in illinois for citizens to carry handguns, so anyone doing so, would be doing it illegally.

Every police department in the nation trains their officers to fire on anyone pointing a weapon at them. This is the reason that toy guns are now idetified by law to have a red tip on the barrel. The Chicago police chief is doing exactly the same thing as every other police department. Yet, the OP somehow interprets this as the chief declaring open season on innocent civilians.

No further comment from me can make the Op's position more transparantly rediculas.

when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire[/color]

It's currently illegal in illinois for citizens to carry handguns, so anyone doing so, would be doing it illegally.

And deserves to die for it?

If "you" pull a gun on a cop, its likely you already know what's gonna happen next.

... but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire ...

Question - Are there any cops, anywhere who will not shoot you if you pull a gun on them?

If you are carrying a weapon, legally or not, and make a sudden move towards a police officer there is a chance you will be shot

That is the risk you take

Every police department in the nation trains their officers to fire on anyone pointing a weapon at them.
If "you" pull a gun on a cop, its likely you already know what's gonna happen next.
If you are carrying a weapon, legally or not, and make a sudden move towards a police officer there is a chance you will be shot

What do any of these irrelevant scenarios have to do with what this Chicago police chief said, about shooting a person who simply has a gun in his hand? With no reference to pointing it at the cop, or making a sudden move etc.?

Every police department in the nation trains their officers to fire on anyone pointing a weapon at them.

What do any of these irrelevant scenarios have to do with what this Chicago police chief said, about shooting a person who simply has a gun in his hand? With no reference to pointing it at the cop, or making a sudden move etc.?

From your own link:

You put more guns on the street expect more shootings. I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”
Read more at Chicago Police: If You Carry a Gun, We're Trained to Shoot You : The Last Resistance

Right,

I have figured out what the problem is. The OP can not read.

Last edited:

From your own link:

You put more guns on the street expect more shootings. I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”
Read more at Chicago Police: If You Carry a Gun, We're Trained to Shoot You : The Last Resistance

Thanks for confirming my point: The article mentions nothing about pointing the gun at a cop, making sudden moves, etc.

Isn't it amazing what these hysterical leftists can make up out of thin air, to pretend they have something worth arguing about? :cuckoo:

Last edited:

From your own link:

Thanks for confirming my point: The article mentions nothing about pointing the gun at a cop, making sudden moves, etc.

Isn't it amazing what these hysterical leftists can make up out of thin air, to pretend they have something worth arguing about? :cuckoo:

Hence why police are trained

You have a gun, you turn on an officer with a gun, you can get shot

Why would anyone have a problem with that?

Oh, BTW, a memo to those leftist fanatics who say government can restrict or ban ammunition without violating the 2nd amendment protection of people's right to keep and bear "arms", since (the fanatics insist) ammunition isn't "arms"....

You'll need to discuss your plans with the DC cops and City Council. Apparently those folks are very insistent that ammunition, even empty cartridges, ARE weapons that are covered by their "gun control" laws.

Please let us know how your discussions with those nutty people, turn out.

Forum List

Back