Christian baker not backing down after Gov't punishes him for refusing to make gay wedding cake

Take your candy queer ass to a baker who does want to serve you
A nation of victims. What liberal crap

Plenty of snowflakes on both sides of the aisle. No one is asking this baker to support anything. He is not giving them anything for free. He is not attending the wedding. He bakes a cake and delivers it. He gets paid more than it cost to bake the cake. End of transaction.
A man puts a knife to a woman's throat. He forces her to have sex. He puts twenty dollars in her hand. She made a profit. End of transaction.

The Masterpiece Bakery case is different. As a result of the court action. The bakery was to stop discriminating and file quarterly reports as to each wedding cake request. Jack Phillips, the baker complied, fully complied. He refuses all wedding cakes and dutifully filed his quarterly reports. He still masterfully decorates cakes. Just not wedding cakes.

Baker’s Fight After the Gov’t Punished Him For Refusing to Make a Gay Wedding Cake Just Took Another Turn

Yet the government still wants to punish him.

And rape is illegal. Your analogy is ridiculous.
It's not rape. It's a business transaction. She was paid.

The baker was likewise raped. He was also required to perform a service that he did not want to perform.

He got paid for doing something he didn't want to do.
She got paid for doing something she didn't want to do.

Neither baking nor gay weddings are felony offenses. Try again.

But your claim that the baker was raped is simply sick.
He was raped. He was forced to perform a service against his will. This service was outside of the regular business premises.

Take your candy queer ass to a baker who does want to serve you
A nation of victims. What liberal crap

Plenty of snowflakes on both sides of the aisle. No one is asking this baker to support anything. He is not giving them anything for free. He is not attending the wedding. He bakes a cake and delivers it. He gets paid more than it cost to bake the cake. End of transaction.
A man puts a knife to a woman's throat. He forces her to have sex. He puts twenty dollars in her hand. She made a profit. End of transaction.

The Masterpiece Bakery case is different. As a result of the court action. The bakery was to stop discriminating and file quarterly reports as to each wedding cake request. Jack Phillips, the baker complied, fully complied. He refuses all wedding cakes and dutifully filed his quarterly reports. He still masterfully decorates cakes. Just not wedding cakes.

Baker’s Fight After the Gov’t Punished Him For Refusing to Make a Gay Wedding Cake Just Took Another Turn

Someone I know does beautiful artwork. They got a call to do a gigantic dick once and turn that job down. Per these folks a person should be force to comply in any given situation if they work anywhere for anyone in a private business setting.
And he is fine. The laws against discrimination to not require you to create new products for people.
So the baker making a cake and designing it would be the same. Each an individual new product. I do artwork many as the same but each work is an individual piece of its own.
And religious opinion has nothing to do with it.

The bible says that someone who leaves (divorces) their wife, and then remarries, is committing adultery. Adultery is forbidden in the most basic and important set of Christian rules. As long as bakers continue to bake cakes for people getting married for a 2nd time (or more) they are not following their faith.
If divorce results from infidelity, you are free to remarry
and it is not committing adultery, unless you are marrying
someone who is also divorced for reasons other than.

Same applies to widowers.

So, is it appropriate for a baker to ask clients
if this is their first marriage and if not,
the reason for no longer being with their 1st spouse?

Same sex couples are obvious, no need for questions there

If he is a public baker he needs to bake that cake. We can't be prejudice on who we wait on or serve when our door is open to the public.

You don't surrender your 1st Amendment Rights when you open a business.....

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

No one is establishing a state religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. The baker is not doing anything but baking and selling them a cake. Refusing a customer, in a business open to the public, is a violation of antidiscrimination laws.
If baking/decorating the cake for a same sex wedding goes against the moral believes of the cake makers religion, then the law is "prohibiting the free exercise thereof". Also, since there isn't a shortage of qualified bakers that would gladly serve the same sex couple, it is not a burden for them to find another baker.

There is a big difference in buying an off the shelf item or an off the menu item and buying an item customized specifically for the customer.

If he is a public baker he needs to bake that cake. We can't be prejudice on who we wait on or serve when our door is open to the public.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

No one is establishing a state religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. The baker is not doing anything but baking and selling them a cake. Refusing a customer, in a business open to the public, is a violation of antidiscrimination laws.

There religion says they can't sell to a gay wedding.....they are protected by the 1st Amendment.

He has no 1st amendment right to bake a cake.

You do not surrender your Rights when you open a business....otherwise all of your Rights are in danger simply by opening a business...

If baking/decorating the cake for a same sex wedding goes against the moral believes of the cake makers religion, then the law is "prohibiting the free exercise thereof". Also, since there isn't a shortage of qualified bakers that would gladly serve the same sex couple, it is not a burden for them to find another baker.

There is a big difference in buying an off the shelf item or an off the menu item and buying an item customized specifically for the customer.

Yes.....exactly....you are essentially making them slaves....forcing them to perform labor for you against their will....

If this nonsense stands than businesses will no longer be able to prohibit the carrying of guns on their premises.......since they lose their Rights once they open a business....

Someone I know does beautiful artwork. They got a call to do a gigantic dick once and turn that job down. Per these folks a person should be force to comply in any given situation if they work anywhere for anyone in a private business setting.
And he is fine. The laws against discrimination to not require you to create new products for people.
So the baker making a cake and designing it would be the same. Each an individual new product. I do artwork many as the same but each work is an individual piece of its own.
You would get the crappiest cake I could make if it was me, I would also require a sizable deposit and that has nothing to do with religion. I won't let you or anyone else just walk in and steal my rights and liberties. Apparently a whole lot of other people feel the same way according to the election results of the last few years.

You would get the crappiest cake I could make if it was me, I would also require a sizable deposit and that has nothing to do with religion. I won't let you or anyone else just walk in and steal my rights and liberties. Apparently a whole lot of other people feel the same way according to the election results of the last few years.
Excellent point! It is absurd to force someone to make a product or perform a service against their will and expect a high quality product or service.

Oops, sorry. Your cake fell in the oven. I still decorated it, but I accidentally dropped it. Sorry I didn't quite get it made at the time you wanted to pick it up. I hope it tastes okay, I tried a new recipe.

Excellent point! It is absurd to force someone to make a product or perform a service against their will and expect a high quality product or service.

Oops, sorry. Your cake fell in the oven. I still decorated it, but I accidentally dropped it. Sorry I didn't quite get it made at the time you wanted to pick it up. I hope it tastes okay, I tried a new recipe.
I actually adopted that attitude years ago not to do any specialty work for people I did not really like. They are a pain in the ass.

What the snow flakes on the far right don't get is that Gorsuch will uphold PA laws on both precedent and privilege of legislature to determine such matters.
Who do you think decided the lower court decision in Hobby Lobby?
Gorsuch might well find that the Restoration of Religious Freedom act applies to the bakery the same way he decided it applied to Hobby Lobby.

You do not surrender your Rights when you open a business....otherwise all of your Rights are in danger simply by opening a business...
No one is surrendering their right to worship as they please by running a public business according to public laws. Baking in a public bake shop is not a religious right.

What the snow flakes on the far right don't get is that Gorsuch will uphold PA laws on both precedent and privilege of legislature to determine such matters.
Gorsuch might well find that the Restoration of Religious Freedom act applies to the bakery the same way he decided it applied to Hobby Lobby.
He might hit a hole in one, too, but in this case, he will support the privilege of the legislature to pass PA laws.

If this nonsense stands than businesses will no longer be able to prohibit the carrying of guns on their premises.......since they lose their Rights once they open a business....
If the state passes a law that allow businesses to decide otherwise, you are out of luck.

He might hit a hole in one, too, but in this case, he will support the privilege of the legislature to pass PA laws.
And you know this because he told you or because you are wishful thinking.

No one is surrendering their right to worship as they please by running a public business according to public laws. Baking in a public bake shop is not a religious right.
There is no right to dessert either. Go into the business, buy your cake or find someplace that agrees with you.

And you know this because he told you or because you are wishful thinking.
He told Congress in the hearings that he believes in state legislatures having precedent to decides local matters. Thus, the lege that makes PA laws is fine by him. I am not going to carry your water because you won't study and learn on your own.

Forum List

Back