Christian bakers who refused cake order for gay wedding forced to close shop

In other words, they don't believe what YOU do, and they don't believe what you THINK they should if they're going to disagree with you. Ergo, they can't REALLY be Christians, because YOU are the final arbiter on what ALL Christians do and don't believe.

Piss off.

They can be Christians, but their application of Christianity is a bit screwed up. You can't claim you are adhering to your faith when you pick and choose what you will obey.

Why not? Since when are Christians without sin?

We are all sinful, but a true Christian recognizes when they have sinned (because he/she is convicted) and asks for forgiveness. They don't brag about not committing one specific sin while committing a different sin.

Claiming to discriminate someone covertly as opposed to overtly because you don't approve of their lifestyle goes against Christian principles.

They told the reporter (from the Pulitzer prize winning newspaper) they would bake a baby shower cake for a lady having her second baby with her boyfriend.

And a pagan solstice cake they would bake too.

With a pentagram design.

They's all in on that. Cafeteria christians as well as bakers.

In other words, they don't believe what YOU do, and they don't believe what you THINK they should if they're going to disagree with you. Ergo, they can't REALLY be Christians, because YOU are the final arbiter on what ALL Christians do and don't believe.

Piss off.

They can be Christians, but their application of Christianity is a bit screwed up. You can't claim you are adhering to your faith when you pick and choose what you will obey.

Romans 12:17-21
American Standard Version (ASV)

17 Render to no man evil for evil. Take thought for things honorable in the sight of all men.

18 If it be possible, as much as in you lieth, be at peace with all men.

19 Avenge not yourselves, beloved, but give place unto the wrath of God: for it is written, Vengeance belongeth unto me; I will recompense, saith the Lord.

20 But if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him to drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head.

21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

We are all sinful, but a true Christian recognizes when they have sinned (because he/she is convicted) and asks for forgiveness. They don't brag about not committing one specific sin while committing a different sin.

Claiming to discriminate someone covertly as opposed to overtly because you don't approve of their lifestyle goes against Christian principles.

What about the ones you do in the dark backroom of your bakery?

If someone doesn't taste the semen, did they ejaculate?

Piss off.

17 Render to no man evil for evil. Take thought for things honorable in the sight of all men.

19 Avenge not yourselves, beloved, but give place unto the wrath of God: for it is written, Vengeance belongeth unto me; I will recompense, saith the Lord.

20 But if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him to drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head.

Bendog, I have no doubt you are a good christian (like my mother). Others, most others, I can't vouch for.

Piss off.

That Scripture was meant for Christians. Not everyone in the United States is a Christian, and a Christian will not force those that are not Christian to follow the rules of Christianity.

Jesus didn't preach for Christians to force their beliefs on anyone. We live in a country that is inhabited by people of many religions/faiths. Why Jefferson believed in the separation of church and state.

The law in Oregon doesn't go by the Bible. They have a law that prohibits businesses from discriminating against citizens based on sexual preference. It's not hard to understand.
If you want to own a business in Oregon, you either try to change the law or obey the law, don't expect exemptions based on "faith".

Well apparently when it comes to treatment of gays in the public market place, Christians are without sin cause god told them to.

I am hardly good. But, in all honesty, I think the bakers were judgmental, and that's sinful. They should have baked the cake, and delivered, and if they truly felt compelled, told the couple they couldn't agree with their marriage or sexual mores, but nonetheless wished them God's peace.

I really don't think the boycott was "right." But then not all people call themselves christians. The bakers essentially boycotted the wedding. Tit for tat, imo. Not really ok in christianity. I'd have been more comfortable, and frankly think it'd have been more effective, for the GLBT community to expose the bakers behavior, and say it was petty, judgmental, hurtful, but they pray/hope/whatever the bakers' hearts are softened.

Templer neg repping people cause they don't agree with his concept of christian ... pfft.

Well apparently when it comes to treatment of gays in the public market place, Christians are without sin cause god told them to.

Some Christians may feel that God approves of their behavior, (hating all gays) but if they read the Bible and followed Jesus' teachings (love thy neighbor as thyself), they would know better. I believe some here use "faith" as a cover for their own bigotry.

That Scripture was meant for Christians. Not everyone in the United States is a Christian, and a Christian will not force those that are not Christian to follow the rules of Christianity.

Jesus didn't preach for Christians to force their beliefs on anyone. We live in a country that is inhabited by people of many religions/faiths. Why Jefferson believed in the separation of church and state.

The law in Oregon doesn't go by the Bible. They have a law that prohibits businesses from discriminating against citizens based on sexual preference. It's not hard to understand.
If you want to own a business in Oregon, you either try to change the law or obey the law, don't expect exemptions based on "faith".

Ah, but my pt was the bakers didn't behave like christians, imo. It's true they were repayed in kind, and perhaps that was wrong, but as you say, not all are christians.

For Christians, it's not about being found out by "someone" - God sees everything and they know it.

For Christians, it's not about being found out by "someone" - God sees everything and they know it.

I used to work out at this YMCA. There was a huge lockerroom. Bunch of guys, butt neked. No privacy. They had this old style giant tv ... 60 inches with a vaccum tube the size of a small european country. Pat Robertson was on there one morning saying "And I can see Peter and John ....." Creeped me out so bad, I changed gyms.

I don't think they do. Why would they comment about privately jizzing on someones wedding cake?

I don't think they do. Why would they comment about privately jizzing on someones wedding cake?

I think only Warrior went there, and I doubt he professes to aspire to christianity.

Ah, but my pt was the bakers didn't behave like christians, imo. It's true they were repayed in kind, and perhaps that was wrong, but as you say, not all are christians.

They sure didn't. They think they did, because they believe that homosexuality is an abomination to the Lord, but God didn't give them (the bakers) permission to be the enforcers of his law, just the doers. And if boycotting the bakery is a sin, then those who participated will have to answer to God. Not all actions of a boycott are sinful, I don't believe purposely not utilizing their services, is a sin. However, threats and keeping those who may have wanted to use the baker's services from being able to so, is a different matter.

My point is that this is about a State Law, and if anyone wants to own a business in that state, they need to make themselves aware of the laws and how they apply and decide beforehand if they will comply.

Good Christians are about obeying the law.

A true Christian does know it. Some Christians are just not aware of their reckless words and how Scripture also says that they will have to account for each one.

If they truly meant that they would do such a thing, they either don't understand Christianity or are not really Christian.

I forgive each and every one of them...but I will still kick their online ass when they post bullshit.

Well, imo a GLBT christian could find the bakers' judgmental actions so hurtful that he/she wouldn't want their services, even if offered. Turning a cheek is one thing, asking to be hit is another.

I dunno though that christians don't sometimes violate the law. Certainly during the vietnam war, and civil rights movement, they did. Passive resistance did violate the law. Some anti-abortion folks are non-violent, as well. Though I find their support of finding the money and care for every baby to be unpersuasive.

Well, imo a GLBT christian could find the bakers' judgmental actions so hurtful that he/she wouldn't want their services, even if offered. Turning a cheek is one thing, asking to be hit is another.
That's probably the route I would have taken. However, the LGBTs were exercising their right by suing them, since they probably knew the law prohibited it.

I dunno though that christians don't sometimes violate the law. Certainly during the vietnam war, and civil rights movement, they did. Passive resistance did violate the law. Some anti-abortion folks are non-violent, as well. Though I find their support of finding the money and care for every baby to be unpersuasive.

I'm sure we do all the time (God's laws), and many times our state laws too, but when you are caught, you own up to it.

I think many times there is confusion as to what God expects from us when we are trying to do what we think He wants us to do.

Forum List

Back