Christians, I Don't Understand This...

Mr. Ofo Oao

Sep 19, 2014
1 Corinthians 14:34
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

If the Bible says that women are to be silent in churches, why are they not silent?

There are multiple levels of meaning, as with everything in the NT. Here are several.

Explain 1 Corinthians 14 34-35 Blog

This one is the most accurate in context:

As with all other Scriptures, we must read them in context. And the context of 1 Corinthians 14 was about prophesies and tongues. One must remember that it was post-Pentecost. Paul was rebuking the Corinthians for their disorderly behavior when the came together to worship as they were boasting and trying to outdo one another.

Not only the men was disorderly, the women followed the men prompting Paul to rebuke them and reminding them of their creation status. Paul ended chapter 14 by saying, "Let all things be done decently and in order."

To use 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 as a justification to thumb down a woman is nothing less than sinful.
---christan on 1/13/11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

If the Bible says that women are to be silent in churches, why are they not silent?

Glad to help, Ofo.
Paul was referring to a specific church whose women were gong to a soothsayer for prophecy and interrupting church with false predictions, not of the Spirit. There ya go.

Don't waste time trying to make it into something it is not. The Bible is filled with prophesying and preaching and teaching woman sanctified by God.
Have a good one. :)

There are multiple levels of meaning, as with everything in the NT. Here are several.

As with all other Scriptures, we must read them in context. And the context of 1 Corinthians 14 was about prophesies and tongues. One must remember that it was post-Pentecost. Paul was rebuking the Corinthians for their disorderly behavior when the came together to worship as they were boasting and trying to outdo one another.

Not only the men was disorderly, the women followed the men prompting Paul to rebuke them and reminding them of their creation status. Paul ended chapter 14 by saying, "Let all things be done decently and in order."

To use 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 as a justification to thumb down a woman is nothing less than sinful.
---christan on 1/13/11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Since when do Christians interpret Scriptures in context? :)

---christan on 1/13/11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Anyone can MAKE UP anything about what a Scripture "really means." People who do that cannot prove their contentions so what they say are just that, contentions. I stick to specifically to what the Scripture says.

Peace,
Ofo

Glad to help, Ofo.
Paul was referring to a specific church whose women were gong to a soothsayer for prophecy and interrupting church with false predictions, not of the Spirit. There ya go.

Don't waste time trying to make it into something it is not. The Bible is filled with prophesying and preaching and teaching woman sanctified by God.
Have a good one. :)

See this post: Christians I Don t Understand This... US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum .

I know that women can prophesy (Acts 2:17-18, Acts 21:9.) They just aren't allowed to do it in church.

Thank you for trying to help me...

Peace,
Ofo

Christians today pick and choose which portions of the New Testament they like and many cast aside those portions that they don't like. There are so-called "Christian" churches that not only allow women pastors or bishops but also allow gay pastors. So it's clear that many have become "one horse Charlies" (that's to say that they pick one or two verses that fall in line with their personal philosophies and they ignore the rest.)

Probably worth looking into when the verse in question wasw ritten. By about the 3rd century the conflict between the early Catholic Church and the Gnostics was in full-swing. Gnostics allowed female priests, Catholicism didn't and doesn't to this day.

Since much of the NT was still being written, if this verse was written during this Catholic-Gnostic conflict over dogma it makes more sense.

Christians today pick and choose which portions of the New Testament they like and many cast aside those portions that they don't like. There are so-called "Christian" churches that not only allow women pastors or bishops but also allow gay pastors. So it's clear that many have become "one horse Charlies" (that's to say that they pick one or two verses that fall in line with their personal philosophies and they ignore the rest.)

Yeah...I call that HYPOCRISY. I think that they would just be better off disbelieving than claiming to believe in the Bible and not practicing what it teaches (Luke 6:46: "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?")

---christan on 1/13/11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In terms of Church leadership we should keep the following in mind:

1 Timothy 3:2, "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;"

Note that the verse doesn't say that a bishop should be the wife of one husband or a husband of one husband.

Yeah...I call that HYPOCRISY. I think that they would just be better off disbelieving than claiming to believe in the Bible and not practicing what it teaches (Luke 6:46: "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?")

There's a hot place set aside for "false prophets."

Probably worth looking into when the verse in question wasw ritten. By about the 3rd century the conflict between the early Catholic Church and the Gnostics was in full-swing. Gnostics allowed female priests, Catholicism didn't and doesn't to this day.

Since much of the NT was still being written, if this verse was written during this Catholic-Gnostic conflict over dogma it makes more sense.

Can you explain who Nero was burning in 64AD?

There's a hot place set aside for "false prophets."

13 [a]If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. 5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death for inciting rebellion against the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery. That prophet or dreamer tried to turn you from the way the Lord your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

I think 'God is that man standing over there named Yeshua' qualifies. :)

---christan on 1/13/11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Anyone can MAKE UP anything about what a Scripture "really means." People who do that cannot prove their contentions so what they say are just that, contentions. I stick to specifically to what the Scripture says.

Peace,
Ofo

LOL. I wasn't calling YOU a false prophet. I was calling them who ignore God's Word and preach "another Gospel" not of Christ.

Well whatever you claim, the state that the Bible is in (rife with contradictions) let's me know that the Bible is a Book that cannot be trusted on it's own...here is an example of a Bible contradiction:

Matt. 11:13-14, NIV: "(13)For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John.(14)And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come."

John 1:19-21, NIV: "(19)Now this was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was.(20)He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely,'I am not the Messiah.'(21)They asked him,'Then who are you? Are you Elijah?' He said,'I am not.''Are you the Prophet?' He answered,'No.'"

The Holy Qur'an says that the Jews have tampered with the Bible and I incline more to the Qur'an for my beliefs THOUGH I AM NOT A MUSLIM.

Peace,
Ofo

Forum List

Back