Christians vs. Atheists (the argument)

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
I can understand why Christians want to tell people the Gospel. To evangelize to others because they feel it is their responsibility to do so as commanded in the Bible. To go out to the world and tell....
Because they are concerned for others souls, want to see that all go to Heaven. Out of love.

But, why do Atheists feel compelled to try to disprove God and Christianity?

I always thought they seek converts since if everyone around you is nodding in agreement, the most outlandish lies seem more plausible.

I can understand why Christians want to tell people the Gospel. To evangelize to others because they feel it is their responsibility to do so as commanded in the Bible. To go out to the world and tell....
Because they are concerned for others souls, want to see that all go to Heaven. Out of love.

This fails as a straw man fallacy, as indeed it's a lie.

Those free from faith in no way feel 'compelled' to 'disprove' any deity or religion.

No, Christians are taught that it is God's will that none be lost (it's scriptural)

When Jesus died and rose again, he sent the Holy Spirit to live within the saved, and the command was to GO.
Go tell people the "Good News" - to glorify God and to fulfill his will here on Earth and to give people "new life" - a life with eternal purpose and meaning.

That is SUPPOSED to be the reason........

Those free from faith in no way feel 'compelled' to 'disprove' any deity or religion.

Really? Why do I see posts here from non-believers stating otherwise? Or people mocking and arguing against Christians? I think that's totally wrong. I think people set out to do it all the time.

Doesn't take up a lot of my time that's for sure. As I liken it, "I don't need to prove the sky is blue." :)

If reasonably intelligent, should be able to convincingly argue for OR against the existance of God. It's one of those things. Neither side has any proof, just conjecture and speculation. And surely that's the point.

If God doesn't exist, you can't pove that because as the saying goes you can't prove a negative.

If God does exist, you can't prove that either because we can infer from the lack of empirical evidence that He doesn't want His existence proveable for some reason.

There are a lot of atheists that feel religion is a threat to society. Concern for souls and love might be the modern approach to proselytizing, but convert or die was the policy for much of history. It still is in some places.

I can understand preaching AGAINST it for peace reasons.

If you read the Bible, the Apostles in Acts going forward were not violent. They were persecuted, but, very strong in their faith and suffered for it.

We are to be the same... speaking in love and truth (what Christians believe to be truth).....

Unfortunately, there are may people that use the title Christian that are not OR have been taught false doctrine.

I do think most (on here) hate God/Christians yet, have no good explanation why...
I honestly don't think it's because they think we are harmful to society....

If you read the Bible, the Apostles in Acts going forward were not violent. They were persecuted, but, very strong in their faith and suffered for it.

We are to be the same... speaking in love and truth (what Christians believe to be truth).....

Unfortunately, there are may people that use the title Christian that are not OR have been taught false doctrine.

In evangelicals' defense, my neighbors next-door, and 2 doors adown are both ultra-religious. Neither's ever even hinted on the subject of religion to me. Shrug. :)

I do think most (on here) hate God/Christians yet, have no good explanation why...
I honestly don't think it's because they think we are harmful to society....

I don't hate Christians (or Muslims or Jew or anyone else.) I hate the religion itself. Christianity is objectively harmful to societies who adopt it. Look at the problems plagueing Christian majority countries vs secular ones and you see this.

Christianity lived right is not harmful.

But opposition will rise against it (inevitably) - and often times the finger is pointed at the Christian or their belief for the cause of the strife and/or violence.

USA and Japan are good comparisons for this because we have similar populations and technological development. We have rampant disorder and crime and Christianity. They don't but Christianity despite centuries of trying never really took hold there. We both play the same videogames but have vastly different violence problems. They don't have as much sexual crime as we do because they accept sexuality as normal. Christianity is decidely anti-sex and we have huge problems with rape and other sex crimes.

In evangelicals' defense, my neighbors next-door, and 2 doors adown are both ultra-religious. Neither's ever even hinted on the subject of religion to me. Shrug. :)

Many Christians believe in Predestination. Therefore, they see not need to tell others or talk to others about God/Jesus (or, rather, Evangelize)

Judaism forbids proselytizing. We're actually supposed to try our very best to dissuade anyone interested in converting. :)

Course we have just 14 mil as a result, Christians have over 2 billion. :)

USA and Japan are good comparisons for this because we have similar populations and technological development. We have rampant disorder and crime and Christianity. They don't but Christianity despite centuries of trying never really took hold there. We both play the same videogames but have vastly different violence problems. They don't have as much sexual crime as we do because they accept sexuality as normal. Christianity is decidely anti-sex and we have huge problems with rape and other sex crimes.

You need to read the Song of Solomon.
Christianity is not "anti sex" - God created sex to be enjoyed between a Man and a Woman.
Because sin entered into the world, we have all sort of deviancies and those that become Christian and dedicate their lives to living for God, put aside those sexual desires (or at least try to) - true Christians will.....

Christianity is not "anti sex" - God created sex to be enjoyed between a Man and a Woman.
Because sin entered into the world, we have all sort of deviancies and those that become Christian and dedicate their lives to living for God, put aside those sexual desires (or at least try to) - true Christians will.....

Jesus was celibate by all accounts. And Paul (who's arguably more responsible for Christianity proper than Jesus) was WAY against sex. And for a long time, majority opinion of Christians was sex was for procreation only. Not recreation.

Christianity lived right is not harmful.

But opposition will rise against it (inevitably) - and often times the finger is pointed at the Christian or their belief for the cause of the strife and/or violence.
I think that is where you run into a problem. What is "living right" and who decides?

Please don't destroy my opinion of you sayinig something like I need to read something as if you're assuming I haven't. I was on track to become a rabbi once upon a time. I am in no way ignorant of the Bible, Christianity, or Judaism.

Forum List

Back