Cigarette Tax’s Unintended Consequences That EVERYBODY Saw Coming – Except Libs

Were liberals the only ones who didn’t see this coming?

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax
Meanwhile cigarette smoking has dramatically declined
Cigarette use has dramatically declined? prove it.

Too stupid a request.......unworthy of a reply

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax

You can't be that clueless.

Last year, the state took in $1.2 billion from cigarette sales, a $171 million (or 11.8 percent) decline from the previous year.

Some of that decline stems from a 2013 ruling by an administrative law judge that changed the way cigar taxes are determined. But state budget documents attribute much of the decrease to fewer smokers in New York City, and increasing numbers of illegal cigarettes transported from other states.

State seeks to renew task force amid falling cigarette revenues

It is interesting the piss spout in the OP link failed to mention these significant facts.

Wow. Is your idiocy so powerful that you actually are allowing your biases to overcome a reality that EVERYONE knows?

Jesus!

Allow me:

2jg5f1e.jpg

CDC - Trends in Current Cigarette Smoking - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Oh, here we go with the liberals. Big bad mean big tobacco corporations selling icky tobacco.

Meanwhile....

6a00d8341bfae553ef01bb08842840970d-pi
mm-rally-22.jpg
3f7d0262ead9e5460c9928d576a26e89.jpg

Not kidding. Do you know liberals like the old school loser have been convinced and will happily tell you that marijuana is good for you?

No no no....

Not that it is bad for you. They will tell you smoking pot, is GOOD for you.

Oh, but look at them about those evil corporations selling tobacco. Now all of a sudden it is all about evil white right wingers.

Is there anything that they are not hypocrites about? I mean they are utterly ridiculous.
Noone is suggesting that cigarettes be outlawed. You can bet that if weed becomes legal, it will be taxed even more than tobacco. You don't like paying so much for cigarettes? Then quit. In the meantime, stop whining. Conservatives are the biggest crybabies ever. Take some personal responsibility, loser
Of course you miss my point. Of course you did.

Fucking loser
I got the point: you're a crybaby

I bet if every smoker in America quit smoking, the NY Post headline would scream:

CIG TAX REVENUES PLUMMET TO ZERO! LIB EXPERIMENT MASSIVE FAILURE!

Progressives are weak minded fools...
Smart people say that about cigarette smokers

Well then that leads to all kinds of interesting things....

So, progressives are cigarette smokers. Or maybe cigarette smokers are progressives. Which might explain John Boehner. Either way, progressives have been pushing to tax themselves more, while conservatives were trying to protect them from themselves (and their attempts at self over-taxation). In doing so, they became nanny state progressives in their own right. Meanwhile, the cigarette smoking progressives rebelled against themselves and turned to black markets, which means that Cruz was right all along about criminals being democrats.

Last edited:
Last year, the state took in $1.2 billion from cigarette sales, a $171 million (or 11.8 percent) decline from the previous year.

Some of that decline stems from a 2013 ruling by an administrative law judge that changed the way cigar taxes are determined. But state budget documents attribute much of the decrease to fewer smokers in New York City, and increasing numbers of illegal cigarettes transported from other states.

State seeks to renew task force amid falling cigarette revenues

It is interesting the piss spout in the OP link failed to mention these significant facts.

Bwahahaha it proves the point of the OP...

Go ahead and try to close it, we always love a good laugh

Wow. Is your idiocy so powerful that you actually are allowing your biases to overcome a reality that EVERYONE knows?

Jesus!

Allow me:

2jg5f1e.jpg

Cigarettes,

So this is your proof? The CDC? There is more smoking today by teenagers than ever before, folks like me have quit as we've aged, but your failure here is the teen count. oops!!!!! you lose.

And jesus most probably didn't pay any tax on a cigarette.

Jesus!

Allow me:

2jg5f1e.jpg

Cigarettes,

So this is your proof? The CDC? There is more smoking today by teenagers than ever before, folks like me have quit as we've aged, but your failure here is the teen count. oops!!!!! you lose.

"There is more smoking today by teenagers than ever before."

Prove it.

The graph shows teen smoking has also declined.

And there's this:

Cigarettes

• From 2011 to 2014, current cigarette smoking declined among middle and high school students.5,6
    • Nearly 3 of every 100 middle school students (2.5%) reported in 2014 that they smoked cigarettes in the past 30 days—a decrease from 4.3% in 2011.
    • About 9 of every 100 high school students (9.2%) reported in 2014 that they smoked cigarettes in the past 30 days—a decrease from 15.8% in 2011.
Cigarette smoking among U.S. high school students at lowest level in 22 years | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

Snip

There are some drawbacks to the poor, but there are benefits also. The fact is that the smoking rate among middle and high school kids has dropped dramatically. This will lead to a much lower rate of smokers down the road, because we all know that most smokers start smoking before they turn 18. As an ex-smoker who smoked for over 30 years, anything that can be done to reduce the number of young smokers is a positive in my book.

The legal age for smoking is usually about 18...and if it isn't in your state then it should be. I suggest that you just enforce the law to get the same outcome!!

Greg
As of Jan 2016, you must be 21 to buy and use tobacco....in Hawaii...

Jesus!

Allow me:

2jg5f1e.jpg

Cigarettes,

Prove it.

And there's this:

Cigarettes

• From 2011 to 2014, current cigarette smoking declined among middle and high school students.5,6
    • Nearly 3 of every 100 middle school students (2.5%) reported in 2014 that they smoked cigarettes in the past 30 days—a decrease from 4.3% in 2011.
    • About 9 of every 100 high school students (9.2%) reported in 2014 that they smoked cigarettes in the past 30 days—a decrease from 15.8% in 2011.
Cigarette smoking among U.S. high school students at lowest level in 22 years | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

Switching to vapors and that still pisses off liberals.

Rising use of vapor products among teens ignites debate

The Doctor Is In: Increased vaping among teens troubles me

Republicans want insurance companies to be able to cross state lines why not cigs?

It's the left that doesn't want things across state lines. They put up warnings signs at the state line in Midwest states warning that you cannot bring cigarettes in from other states. They don't want people buying cheaper smokes elsewhere and bringing them in. Insane.

Jesus!

Allow me:

2jg5f1e.jpg

Cigarettes,

Prove it.

And there's this:

Cigarettes

Cigarette sales to minors:
The Surprising Truth About Tobacco Sales And Minors

Excerpt:
"The latest federal data shows that about 14 percent of minors reported buying their own cigarettes in stores in 2011, down from 19 percent a decade earlier, suggesting that children may instead be getting their cigarettes and tobacco products from places other than convenience stores or gas stations.

So statistically speaking there is no way to know that answer. And the government knows it:

Besides there are also federal guidelines set on states and minor sales.. So you have no idea, and since minors smoke I will stand by the fact that minor age smokers has not declined, and that teen age smoking is on the increase. I can't prove it is as you can't prove it isn't. So I can make a comment as can you. Who's right? Who cares, the fact remains that taxes on cigarettes is not a deterrent, and it loses the city tax revenue by constantly raising the tax amount on a pack.

It;s always been about money, nothing else. You need to ditch this notion that modern liberals care about anything but money. They'll just replace the lost taxes with new taxes in the name of saving ____________________. (Fill in the blank)

Republicans want insurance companies to be able to cross state lines why not cigs?

It's the left that doesn't want things across state lines. They put up warnings signs at the state line in Midwest states warning that you cannot bring cigarettes in from other states. They don't want people buying cheaper smokes elsewhere and bringing them in. Insane.
Who doesn't? Marlboro?

Who doesn't want you getting cheaper healthcare? Blue Cross?

Starting to see a pattern?

Jesus!

Allow me:

2jg5f1e.jpg

Cigarettes,

Prove it.

And there's this:

Cigarettes

Cigarette sales to minors:
The Surprising Truth About Tobacco Sales And Minors

Excerpt:
"The latest federal data shows that about 14 percent of minors reported buying their own cigarettes in stores in 2011, down from 19 percent a decade earlier, suggesting that children may instead be getting their cigarettes and tobacco products from places other than convenience stores or gas stations.

So statistically speaking there is no way to know that answer. And the government knows it:

Besides there are also federal guidelines set on states and minor sales.. So you have no idea, and since minors smoke I will stand by the fact that minor age smokers has not declined, and that teen age smoking is on the increase. I can't prove it is as you can't prove it isn't. So I can make a comment as can you. Who's right? Who cares, the fact remains that taxes on cigarettes is not a deterrent, and it loses the city tax revenue by constantly raising the tax amount on a pack.
Less people collecting social security

I live in a retirement community. There are no smokers, and a few vapers. It is easy to spot the former smokers. They carry their own oxygen to the bridge table. Wait. I just remembered that there is one smoker that I know. She has brain and lung cancer, and has been told to get her will in order. Ironically, she still smokes. I guess that there is no point in her quitting now.

I live in a retirement community. There are no smokers, and a few vapers. It is easy to spot the former smokers. They carry their own oxygen to the bridge table. Wait. I just remembered that there is one smoker that I know. She has brain and lung cancer, and has been told to get her will in order. Ironically, she still smokes. I guess that there is no point in her quitting now.
My own aunt was an avid smoker, she was on oxygen and still smoking. She would turn the tank off, smoke, and then turn the tank back on. She eventually passed on. But an avid smoker will never quit. My uncle had three by pass heart surgeries and still smoked, he's still alive and in his 90's. I still can't believe it. I quit in 2000 and I'd still light one up if there weren't any risks. I started at age eight. I'm now four months from my 60th. I smoked a long time. Those on those vapors are really addicted. OMG. My niece in law's father never puts it down, it's non friggin stop while I'm around him. HOLY CRAP, that's worse than a chain smoker. Friends son does the same exact thing, is on it endlessly. Wait until they tell these folks what they picked up from that use.

Forum List

Back