Cigarette Tax’s Unintended Consequences That EVERYBODY Saw Coming – Except Libs

Were liberals the only ones who didn’t see this coming?

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax

There are some drawbacks to the poor, but there are benefits also. The fact is that the smoking rate among middle and high school kids has dropped dramatically. This will lead to a much lower rate of smokers down the road, because we all know that most smokers start smoking before they turn 18. As an ex-smoker who smoked for over 30 years, anything that can be done to reduce the number of young smokers is a positive in my book.

The legal age for smoking is usually about 18...and if it isn't in your state then it should be. I suggest that you just enforce the law to get the same outcome!!

Greg
As of Jan 2016, you must be 21 to buy and use tobacco....in Hawaii...

Good.

Greg

I live in a retirement community. There are no smokers, and a few vapers. It is easy to spot the former smokers. They carry their own oxygen to the bridge table. Wait. I just remembered that there is one smoker that I know. She has brain and lung cancer, and has been told to get her will in order. Ironically, she still smokes. I guess that there is no point in her quitting now.
My own aunt was an avid smoker, she was on oxygen and still smoking. She would turn the tank off, smoke, and then turn the tank back on. She eventually passed on. But an avid smoker will never quit. My uncle had three by pass heart surgeries and still smoked, he's still alive and in his 90's. I still can't believe it. I quit in 2000 and I'd still light one up if there weren't any risks. I started at age eight. I'm now four months from my 60th. I smoked a long time. Those on those vapors are really addicted. OMG. My niece in law's father never puts it down, it's non friggin stop while I'm around him. HOLY CRAP, that's worse than a chain smoker. Friends son does the same exact thing, is on it endlessly. Wait until they tell these folks what they picked up from that use.
My Papa smoked for about 75 years and yet died of kidney failure...

I live in a retirement community. There are no smokers, and a few vapers. It is easy to spot the former smokers. They carry their own oxygen to the bridge table. Wait. I just remembered that there is one smoker that I know. She has brain and lung cancer, and has been told to get her will in order. Ironically, she still smokes. I guess that there is no point in her quitting now.
My own aunt was an avid smoker, she was on oxygen and still smoking. She would turn the tank off, smoke, and then turn the tank back on. She eventually passed on. But an avid smoker will never quit. My uncle had three by pass heart surgeries and still smoked, he's still alive and in his 90's. I still can't believe it. I quit in 2000 and I'd still light one up if there weren't any risks. I started at age eight. I'm now four months from my 60th. I smoked a long time. Those on those vapors are really addicted. OMG. My niece in law's father never puts it down, it's non friggin stop while I'm around him. HOLY CRAP, that's worse than a chain smoker. Friends son does the same exact thing, is on it endlessly. Wait until they tell these folks what they picked up from that use.
My Papa smoked for about 75 years and yet died of kidney failure...
sometimes you just gotta say hmmmmmmmm.

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax

Has a real "Prohibition" flavour to it......stench might be a better word.

Prohibition in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stuff "Progressives".

Greg
Like it was progressives that started prohibition lol...

Snip

There are some drawbacks to the poor, but there are benefits also. The fact is that the smoking rate among middle and high school kids has dropped dramatically. This will lead to a much lower rate of smokers down the road, because we all know that most smokers start smoking before they turn 18. As an ex-smoker who smoked for over 30 years, anything that can be done to reduce the number of young smokers is a positive in my book.

The legal age for smoking is usually about 18...and if it isn't in your state then it should be. I suggest that you just enforce the law to get the same outcome!!

Greg

You're not all that bright are you? Kids can get pot and heroin with ease, and those items are completely illegal. Do you really believe the laws can be effectively enforced to prevent teenagers from getting cigarettes? You, like so many others, live in a fantasy world rather than reality.

You really are stupid!! (Not really, but insulting me IS!!) So kids can get EVERY drug illegally; make smokes illegal and they'll still get them. So why not just hit ME $60 a tin of baccy and that will make it all better??

Your logic is not top shelf old son!!

Greg

Snip

Has a real "Prohibition" flavour to it......stench might be a better word.

Prohibition in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stuff "Progressives".

Greg
Like it was progressives that started prohibition lol...

That's what the History Books tell us. Progressives in both the Republican and Democrat parties. There were the "wets"...yay...and the drys...boo!!. The "drys" argued that booze elimination would increase health, wealth and reduce crime. The Progressives took the "health" and "crime" angles. Many also were Puritants.....bloody wowsers the lot of them.

Greg

Meanwhile cigarette smoking has dramatically declined
Cigarette use has dramatically declined? prove it.

Wow. Is your idiocy so powerful that you actually are allowing your biases to overcome a reality that EVERYONE knows?

Jesus!

Allow me:

2jg5f1e.jpg

CDC - Trends in Current Cigarette Smoking - Smoking & Tobacco Use
Cigarettes,

So this is your proof? The CDC? There is more smoking today by teenagers than ever before, folks like me have quit as we've aged, but your failure here is the teen count. oops!!!!! you lose.

And jesus most probably didn't pay any tax on a cigarette.
Where's the data?

Cigarette use has dramatically declined? prove it.

Wow. Is your idiocy so powerful that you actually are allowing your biases to overcome a reality that EVERYONE knows?

Jesus!

Allow me:

2jg5f1e.jpg

CDC - Trends in Current Cigarette Smoking - Smoking & Tobacco Use
Cigarettes,

So this is your proof? The CDC? There is more smoking today by teenagers than ever before, folks like me have quit as we've aged, but your failure here is the teen count. oops!!!!! you lose.

And jesus most probably didn't pay any tax on a cigarette.
Where's the data?
what data?

Progressives are weak minded fools...
Smart people say that about cigarette smokers

Well then that leads to all kinds of interesting things....

So, progressives are cigarette smokers. Or maybe cigarette smokers are progressives. Which might explain John Boehner. Either way, progressives have been pushing to tax themselves more, while conservatives were trying to protect them from themselves (and their attempts at self over-taxation). In doing so, they became nanny state progressives in their own right. Meanwhile, the cigarette smoking progressives rebelled against themselves and turned to black markets, which means that Cruz was right all along about criminals being democrats.
Taxes help no one but career politicians... Progressives are fools

So, progressives are cigarette smokers. Or maybe cigarette smokers are progressives. Which might explain John Boehner. Either way, progressives have been pushing to tax themselves more, while conservatives were trying to protect them from themselves (and their attempts at self over-taxation). In doing so, they became nanny state progressives in their own right. Meanwhile, the cigarette smoking progressives rebelled against themselves and turned to black markets, which means that Cruz was right all along about criminals being democrats.

Well, I suspect that there are things that we all enjoy that are paid for by taxes. But, on a related issue, My daughter had half of her higher education paid for by the tobacco settlement grant, which enabled her to become a nurse. She is a democrat, which is pretty much the icing on my cake!

Well, I suspect that there are things that we all enjoy that are paid for by taxes. But, on a related issue, My daughter had half of her higher education paid for by the tobacco settlement grant, which enabled her to become a nurse. She is a democrat, which is pretty much the icing on my cake!

Well what about her daughter or son, when the tobacco taxes run out, are you going to be happy when they put a 190 percent tax on Cupcakes?

Well what about her daughter or son, when the tobacco taxes run out, are you going to be happy when they put a 190 percent tax on Cupcakes?

Is is a slippery slope, isn't it. First, tobacco, next cupcakes, and then toilet paper. Where will it end?

Snip

actually it's been replaced by e cigarettes

NY just gets beat on taxes. People go to PA and buy them cheap. People buy from indian reservations. People buy black market which has gotten huge in NY. since internet sales of ammunition have been banned in NY the black market for that has boomed too. NY loses in sales, thats about it. people still get their stuff

This is what irks me about this: I KNOW that a bit of pipe smoking of a very good quality tobacco has a very small health risk..probably less than driving a car. It took me years to find a tobacco that was to my liking and now? You cannot import it here and a fair but inferior tobacco is about $60 per 50g tin. Now to the new age wowsers who consider this a good thing...damn: we're not in the Flame Zone!!

....let me just say that I consider you money grubbing low lifes that should just go and mind your own effing business.

Greg

No one minds their own f-ing business anymore. The number of people who feel it's perfectly acceptable to walk up to a total stranger on the street and start berating and/or lecturing them about whatever they don't personally approve of is just stunning. I'm not sure if it's simply that people have no manners whatsoever any more, or that we now live in a talk-show, drama-queen society, where everyone feels they MUST have an opinion about everything, and if at all possible, be outraged by it.

I suspect it's a combination of the two.

Snip

actually it's been replaced by e cigarettes

Why do you think there are people trying to pass laws to declare e-juice a "tobacco product", which it manifestly is not? So that they can drag it under the umbrella of "tobacco taxes" and generate income.

Last edited:

Snip

I've been a pipe smoker for THIRTY-EIGHT years and I don't intend to stop just because some Progressive wants to look after my health. I'll do that myself thank you very bloody much!!

Greg

And hey, if you die, don't the "progressives" keep harping on about over-population anyway? They should be happy.

So you're ok with cancer caused by Cigarettes costing our economy hundreds of billions of dollars! You conservatives are disgusting pieces of shit and I can't believe it but I am starting to see that liberals were always right about you.

Excuse me, but why is it costing "our economy" anything at all? That's right, because YOU fucking leftists think you have to stick your noses into everything. First you want the government to take control of healthcare, THEN you want to use that as an excuse to tell people how to live their lives. If you'd minded your own business in the first place, it wouldn't be costing "the economy" a damned thing.

Forum List

Back