Cincinnati cop charged with murder; Libs...time to RAISE standards for cop hiring.

A 6 foot man should have no problem in holding on to an 8 year old.

And................the kid had ADHD, which is the reason he was acting out.

Me? I would have held onto the kid without using cuffs and tried to calm him down.

Besides.............how much damage can a 3 ft 8 yr old do?
None.

"COP BEAR HUGS DISABLED CHILD!"
"COP GRABS ADHD CHILD BY WRIST AND TAKEDOWN"
"COP MANHANDLED KID WITH ADHD FOR BEING HYPER"

OUTRAGE! VIDEO! SHOCK! RAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

OK. How would you respond?

What about cops that handcuff 8 year old boys with ADHD above their elbows (ever tried to put your elbows close together behind your back)? The little kid swiped at the cop, (he'd been sent to the principal's office for acting out due to his ADHD), and the cop then put cuffs on the kid, behind his back, and above his elbows.

I mean..................c'mon..................if your training tells you to cuff people who are acting out, don't you think that a little bit of common sense would apply when it comes to kids?

That particular incident has been all over the news lately.

Ok. How else would you train cops to handle that? Bear hug the kid? Put him on the ground and hold him down? Spray him? SPANK him?

If you have to cuff him, do it in a way that WON'T have his shoulders in agony. (Then again...I figure he's lucky he didn't get shot.)

What about cops that handcuff 8 year old boys with ADHD above their elbows (ever tried to put your elbows close together behind your back)? The little kid swiped at the cop, (he'd been sent to the principal's office for acting out due to his ADHD), and the cop then put cuffs on the kid, behind his back, and above his elbows.

I mean..................c'mon..................if your training tells you to cuff people who are acting out, don't you think that a little bit of common sense would apply when it comes to kids?

That particular incident has been all over the news lately.

Ok. How else would you train cops to handle that? Bear hug the kid? Put him on the ground and hold him down? Spray him? SPANK him?

If you have to cuff him, do it in a way that WON'T have his shoulders in agony. (Then again...I figure he's lucky he didn't get shot.)

You can't put small wrists in cuffs. They don't fit. He would just take his hand out.

Next alternate solution??????

Nobody's life was in immediate danger, not even the cops.

The cop should have taken down his license plate and picked him up at home.

Especially since it was for a traffic violation and not some capital crime.
Hard to argue with that common sense reasoning.

The TV "ride-along" documentary, COPS, reveals subjects in the majority of high-speed police pursuits are fleeing because of drug possession, often small amounts of marijuana or some paraphernalia item, or the subjects have warrants for some equally minor offenses. Yet they are being chased through residential neighborhoods and crowded highways at speeds often in excess of 90mph. Very often these pursuits end up in crashes with serious property damage or injuries and wrecked or damaged stolen cars.

Unless the subject is a known dangerous felon it makes sense to avoid high-speed pursuits whenever possible -- regardless of the effect on the police ego. Use the radio and hope for a safe and peaceful apprehension.

Forum List

Back