Clarence Thomas and the Billionaire.

I have to think this will get interesting. Thomas has taken a ton of trips paid for by a billionaire campaign donor.

On the surface this appears to be in violations of federal law when he reported none of them.

IN LATE JUNE 2019, right after the U.S. Supreme Court released its final opinion of the term, Justice Clarence Thomas boarded a large private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on vacation: nine days of island-hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a superyacht staffed by a coterie of attendants and a private chef.

If Thomas had chartered the plane and the 162-foot yacht himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded $500,000. Fortunately for him, that wasn’t necessary: He was on vacation with real estate magnate and Republican megadonor Harlan Crow, who owned the jet — and the yacht, too.....................................

.....................These trips appeared nowhere on Thomas’ financial disclosures. His failure to report the flights appears to violate a law passed after Watergate that requires justices, judges, members of Congress and federal officials to disclose most gifts, two ethics law experts said. He also should have disclosed his trips on the yacht, these experts said.

Clarence Thomas Secretly Accepted Luxury Trips From Major GOP Donor

A bought and paid for Supreme Court judge. That's the very definition of a banana republic.
LMAO...... justices don't run for office they are appointed....

SEC. 102. (a) Each report filed pursuant to subsections (a) and (b) 2 USC 702. of section 101 shall include a full and complete statement with respect to the following:

(1)(A) The source, type, and amount or value of income (other than income referred to in subparagraph (B)) from any source (other than from current employment by the United States Government), and the source, date, and amount of honoraria from any source, received during the preceding calendar year, aggregating $100 or more in value.

(B) The source and type of income which consists of dividends, interest, rent, and capital gains, received during the preceding calendar year which exceeds $100 in amount or value, and an indication of which of the following categories the amount or value of such item of income is within:
(i) not more than $1,000,
(ii) greater than $1,000 but not more than $2,500,
(iii) greater than $2,500 but not more than $5,000,
(iv) greater than $5,000 but not more than $15,000,
(v) greater than $15,000 but not more than $50,000, (vi) greater than $50,000 but not more than $100,000, or (vii) greater than $100,000. (

2) (A) The identity of the source and a brief description of any gifts of transportation, lodging, food, or entertainment aggregating $250 or more in value received from any source other than a relative of the reporting individual during the preceding calendar year, except that any food, lodging, or entertainment received as personal hospitality of any individual need not be reported, and any gift with a fair market value of $35 or less need not be aggregated for purposes of this subparagraph.

(B) The identity of the source, a brief description, and the value of all gifts other than transportation, lodging, food, or entertainment aggregating $100 or more in value received from any source other than a relative of the reporting individual during the preceding calendar year, except that any gift with a fair market value of $35 or less need not be aggregated for purposes of this subparagraph. A gift need not be so aggregated if in an unusual case, a publicly available request for a waiver is granted.

A Supreme Court justice cannot argue ignorance of the law.

It is time to impeach Justice Thomas.

Doesn't matter.

People who work for the government are allowed to have friends.

Are you telling me that if you invite a friend of yours who is on active duty or who is a federal employee over to your house for the weekend and you feed him and take him to a ball game that he has to report those as "gifts"?

If those gifts exceed a value of $250, then yes.

See post 162.

I let a friend of mine who is on the school board use my truck last weekend I better make sure he reports that as a "gift" ? right?
What are the laws in your town about financial disclosures?

In it's on article ProPublica states that there are few laws against this sort of thing for Justices. I'll take bets that the lefty judges on the SC do the same shit but won't be called out for it because they have the correct political leanings.

As I stated previously there should be laws against this but thinking this is all about ethics coming from a leftist organization like ProPublic is ignorance. The loons have been hammering on Thomas for decades. Black man not doing what is expected of him and all that.
As I stated previously, and as is stated quite plainly in the OP link, there ARE laws against this.

It is amazing to watch you tards struck literally blind to facts which you do not like. This phenomenon really needs to be studied.

It is time to impeach Thomas.

I'll take bets that the lefty judges on the SC do the same shit but won't be called out for it because they have the correct political leanings.
This is what I call the tards' "I wouldn't put it past 'em!" idiotic argument.

All you idiots are doing in this topic is deflecting and deflecting and demonstrating a willful blindness to Thomas's criminal behavior.

If they were my personal friends I would be and that would be no ones business imo
The law says otherwise, moron.

It is fascinating you all are suddenly unconcerned about a public official being bought. I am going to bring this back and bitch slap you with it if you ever talking about Biden being bought by China, retard.

Very simply, the OP is the type of poster that obviously goes to Soros propaganda and calls it news...and Justice Thomas is well, black, so the folks that troll that those websites, and write for those websites, don't like those uppity black folk, and can't image they could even go on vacation without someone paying their way
Strawman.png

where was he suppose to list them as "paid in full" - hahahha nowhere in the fin disclousure form is there a place where Judges, Senators etc to list the freaking things they paid for....geez

They have to list....

Income
Reimbursements
Gifts
Liabilities
Investments and Trust
Assets
Transactions.

That would have to show where the money for the trips came from if they paid for them.

On a Bombardier Global 5000 private jet, idiot?

Why don't you tards read the article before continuing to make asses of yourselves?

Expedia. :auiqs.jpg: :spinner: :laughing0301:

"Show me the man and I'll show you the crime"....Stalin's secret police chief Laventiry Beira. My how close the democrat revolution tends to mirror Stalinist Russia.

During just one trip in July 2017, Thomas’ fellow guests included executives at Verizon and PricewaterhouseCoopers, major Republican donors and one of the leaders of the American Enterprise Institute, a pro-business conservative think tank, according to records reviewed by ProPublica. The painting of Thomas at Topridge shows him in conversation with Leonard Leo, the Federalist Society leader regarded as an architect of the Supreme Court’s recent turn to the right.

Nothing fishy about that! :lol:

what is the evidence it would have cost $500k?

Average cost for private jet is 5600 an hour. 24 hours flight time comes out to 134,000 just for the plane.

Average cost for the yacht would be 650,000 a week. 9 days comes out to 835,000.

Seems the 500 grand was a low estimate.

JUDICIAL OFFICERS AND JUDICIAL EMPLOYEES are required to file an annual report by May 15 following each calendar year in which they performed their duties for more than sixty (60) days. 5 U.S.C. § 13103(d).

[snip]

Report information on gifts aggregating more than $415 in value received by the filer, spouse and dependent child from any source other than a relative during the reporting period. Any gift with a fair market value of $166 or less need not be aggregated to determine if the $415 reporting threshold has been met. 5 U.S.C. § 13104(a)(2)(A).

A gift is a payment, advance, forbearance, rendering, or deposit of money, or anything of value, unless consideration of equal or greater value is received by the donor. 5 U.S.C. § 13101(5).

Food, lodging, or entertainment received as personal hospitality need not be reported. Personal hospitality means hospitality extended for a nonbusiness purpose by an individual, not a corporation or organization, at the personal residence of that individual or his or her family or on property or facilities owned by that individual or his or her family. 5 U.S.C. § 13101(14).

The personal hospitality gift reporting exemption applies only to food, lodging, or entertainment and is intended to cover such gifts of a personal, non-business nature. Therefore, the reporting exemption does not include:

• gifts other than food, lodging or entertainment, such as transportation that substitutes for commercial transportation;

• gifts extended for a business purpose;

gifts extended at property or facilities owned by an entity, rather than by an individual or an individual’s family, even if the entity is owned wholly or in part by an individual or an individual’s family;

• gifts paid for by any individual or entity other than the individual providing the hospitality, or for which the individual providing the hospitality receives reimbursement or a tax deduction related to furnishing the hospitality; or

gifts extended at a commercial property, e.g., a resort or restaurant, or at a property that is regularly rented out to others for a business purpose.

Show me where the rental for this private jet is $500K for a trip. Also show me where Thomas never paid any fare.

I'll wait.
Read the article, idiot!

Justice Clarence Thomas boarded a large private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on vacation: nine days of island-hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a superyacht staffed by a coterie of attendants and a private chef.

If Thomas had chartered the plane and the 162-foot yacht himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded $500,000.

Nobody cares who paid for these trips. He is just one of many political figures that do this.
Really? Can you show us other federal officials who have not disclosed high-value gifts they have received? Or is this just another tard "I wouldn't put it past 'em!" deflection?

Forum List

Back