Clearing up a misconception atheists have about practicing Christians

I dismiss that they are angry. I see "militant" more as perhaps being more exasperated and irritated. The theology they were taught may have made no concession of the scientific knowledge we have gained over the centuries. Those who were taught that every Biblical account, indeed every word, must be taken literally by middle school knows this goes against everything they are taught on how to identify metaphors, symbolism, fables, just so stories, etc. Yet in following science, they may become further frustrated when science cannot disprove God.

Militant atheists may become aware that the majority of other religious denominations do not dismiss science and do not take every Biblical verse literally, which may cause further resentment of all the time wasted on religion and scriptural studies. They might think, Why can't people of faith come together?!!? Good question. On top of this, it is not the job of science to redirect them back to religious philosophies. To whom do they turn, whom do they trust?
Do you think Colin Norris isn't angry? Boy's foaming at the mouth.

Goodness, you're an angry child. Perhaps the internet is not the place for you.
Not at all. Just stating the myths you godbotherers are guided by.
Im not angry when I'm tearing Jesus junkies apart. Quite th er opposite. And you have the stupidity to reply to give me another whack. You're not real smart.

Boy's foaming at the mouth.
I was only speaking of what I have generally observed in atheists. Your post caught my attention because of the terms 'militant' and 'angry'. I know what you mean my 'militant'--strong and determined. Coming from a family of atheists, I have a soft spot for them. Those in my family are not militant, so I was puzzled when I first met up with some online. No atheist in my family was forced into church or religious education early in life. They simply knew they held no belief and moved on from there. No one forced them into trying to believe.

Many atheists have trouble with how God is portrayed in the Old Testament. I had problems with that myself, but instead of sticking with what modern English--and Christianity--said about it, I delved into the ancient languages, ancient cultures, and scholarly Jewish commentary. It was amazing. It also took years and years of study. I had the immense interest to sustain that and lucky enough to make the time. The average person simply does not. Life is too short.

There are some atheists who come online who make every topic about the people posting...boring....

But perhaps you are right--those militant ones (be they atheists or not) who turn away from the topic to instead discuss those who post--may very well do that because they are angry with the one who is posting.

Wow, talk about a pool of lies.

I just as soon should claim you're a werewolf who wants to fondle my nuts.

Nobody will take you seriously when you say such things Turtle. You're only hurting yourself.
Do you seriously not know what your bible says?

Um, yes you do.

Otherwise, you could be killed by someone, a person who doesn't think murder is wrong, and there would be no moral code or laws to prevent it.
So you think that before someone wrote down that murder was wrong no one thought it was?

So you think that before someone wrote down that murder was wrong no one thought it was?
No, I’m saying that not everyone either does or is held to the standard.

if we create our own morality, than murder can be evil To you, but your neighbor can be just fine with it

if we create our own morality, than murder can be evil To you, but your neighbor can be just fine with it
We have created our own morality.

People murder people all the time so there will always be a percentage of the population that is just fine with it.

People murder people all the time so there will always be a percentage of the population that is just fine with it.
But they break the law and would be punished, which is the point of this conversation. I was replying to someone who said we don't need laws to know what is right and wrong. That is clearly false, don't you agree?

That's right. Same goes for creating religions. So clearly a better method is to arrive at morality by reason and legal consensus than to have a bunch of pseudo shamans dictating contradicting, primitive moralities, and all claiming to do so by imagined divine authority.

Last edited:
But they break the law and would be punished, which is the point of this conversation. I was replying to someone who said we don't need laws to know what is right and wrong. That is clearly false, don't you agree?
Even if there were no laws against murder only a minuscule percentage of people would intentionally murder anyone.

Many atheists have trouble with how God is portrayed in the Old Testament. I had problems with that myself, but instead of sticking with what modern English--and Christianity--said about it, I delved into the ancient languages, ancient cultures, and scholarly Jewish commentary. It was amazing. It also took years and years of study. I had the immense interest to sustain that and lucky enough to make the time. The average person simply does not. Life is too short.
This.

That's the problem with the Protestant "Sola Scriptora" doctrine. You simply cannot pick up a bible and read words in modern English and keep the meaning that was from Hebrew and even Greek.

That's why the knowledge is kept via the Catholic Church. They tell people what the writings meant at the time, and what they mean going forward. Yet, you have heel-nippers constantly pointing to the english bible and demanding we Christians answer for their flawed interpretation.

I can respect those who ask questions. But those who not only don't take the time to know what they attack, but then even after being provided the answer actively reject it and continue to pass their flawed interpretations in attacks... Hey, I guess they have to live their lives how they see fit.

Yes, people do try to create their own morality, I think we all agree on that. But the question for you is, what is the true nature of morality, do you believe it's subjective or objective?

(Once again, I'm going off topic on my own thread, but apparently this is just where the discussion is naturally going.)

Actually, there are many. The abrahamic god had one, zeus had like 100, poseidon had like 100 etc etc etc
Um.. when the word "God" is capitalized, it's referring to the Christian God.

Seriously... is that what you're bringing here? LOL

Um.. when the word "God" is capitalized, it's referring to the Christian God.

Seriously... is that what you're bringing here? LOL
"god" is always capitalized when referring to one god. Any god, not just the abrahamic one.

Forum List

Back