🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Climate Change Is Moving the North Pole

Oh my, more evidence of climate change.

PUBLISHED APRIL 8, 2016

Finding the North Pole means traveling north, right? Yes, but with a slight caveat: Earth's northern pole is drifting rapidly eastward, and it looks like climate change is to blame. The discovery may have major implications for studies of ice loss and drought, potentially improving our ability to predict such changes in the future.

Earth turns around an axis like a giant spinning top. The places where that invisible axis intersects with the planet's surface are the north and south rotational poles. Due to Earth's wobble on its axis, these spots drift in roughly decade-long cycles. (All this motion is a completely separate mechanism from the behavior of the planet's magnetic poles, which also reverse periodically over the course of millions of years.)

Scientists pinpoint the geographic north and south poles by taking the long-term averages of those rotational positions.

Explorers and scientists have been reliably measuring the precise positions of the rotational poles since 1899, first by measuring the relative positions of the stars and then by using satellite telemetry. Over the past century or so, the poles have tended to wander by just a few centimeters a year.
<more>

You know, that is really interesting, because at the north pole, there is only one direction: south! No matter which way you go from the north pole, it is south!
Oh, is that why it's possible to get to Canada from the U.S. by heading south?

And global warming is causing that?...LMAO!
The north and south pole is based on the magnetic's of earth. What idiot wrote that report?
LOL. Of more interest, did you graduate the third grade?

Clearly stated rotational pole. Completely separate from the magnetic poles, which not only wander more, they reverse from time to time.

But how would changing temperatures change the magnetic pole which is produced by the spinning steel core of the Earth?

You liberals are such fucking gullible idiots it blows my mind.

Something you nitwits need to read;
http://multi-science.atypon.com/doi/pdf/10.1260/095830509787689286

A Shift In Earth’s Magnetic Poles May Hold The Secret To Climate Change

The rational argument is that climate change corelates to the shift in the magnetic poles and that it ismore likely that they metal core fo the planet has something to contribute to climate change.

From the second article.

Instead, the key could lie in the planet’s magnetic poles, which have been shifting from their traditional locations at the same time the Earth has experienced erratic weather behavior.
“It seems likely a magnetic-pole shift event is causing the unstable weather conditions we are experiencing, and could cause sustained changes to the Earth’s climate conditions,” Goodenough says.

The north and south pole is based on the magnetic's of earth. What idiot wrote that report?

Clearly stated rotational pole. Completely separate from the magnetic poles, which not only wander more, they reverse from time to time.

But how would changing temperatures change the magnetic pole which is produced by the spinning steel core of the Earth?

indeed

sheep-at-night.jpg

PUBLISHED APRIL 8, 2016

Finding the North Pole means traveling north, right? Yes, but with a slight caveat: Earth's northern pole is drifting rapidly eastward, and it looks like climate change is to blame. The discovery may have major implications for studies of ice loss and drought, potentially improving our ability to predict such changes in the future.

Earth turns around an axis like a giant spinning top. The places where that invisible axis intersects with the planet's surface are the north and south rotational poles. Due to Earth's wobble on its axis, these spots drift in roughly decade-long cycles. (All this motion is a completely separate mechanism from the behavior of the planet's magnetic poles, which also reverse periodically over the course of millions of years.)

Scientists pinpoint the geographic north and south poles by taking the long-term averages of those rotational positions.

Explorers and scientists have been reliably measuring the precise positions of the rotational poles since 1899, first by measuring the relative positions of the stars and then by using satellite telemetry. Over the past century or so, the poles have tended to wander by just a few centimeters a year.
<more>

You know, that is really interesting, because at the north pole, there is only one direction: south! No matter which way you go from the north pole, it is south!
Oh, is that why it's possible to get to Canada from the U.S. by heading south?

It is, when you go from Detroit, USA to Windsor Canada.

PUBLISHED APRIL 8, 2016

<more>
The cause is the Earth wobble, not climate change. Nice try idiot but you fail like all retarded libs.

indeed
It is simply so absurd that these dumbasses think that minor increases in CO2 along the surface of the Earth can affect the magnetism that is generated by this HUUUUUGE metal ball at the Earths core that is hundreds of miles thick.

These cretins never cease to amaze me with their stupidity.

indeed
It is simply so absurd that these dumbasses think that minor increases in CO2 along the surface of the Earth can affect the magnetism that is generated by this HUUUUUGE metal ball at the Earths core that is hundreds of miles thick.

These cretins never cease to amaze me with their stupidity.

it is never ending

Well the OP article is actually about surface weight distribution - similar to how the crust on the back side of the moon is thicker than the crust on the facing side.

While by human standards we have been recording this wandering path of the poles for a long time, in geologic time we actually wouldn't know a "normal" path from a "deviated" path if it slapped us in the face. All we can say for sure is that while the path was moving in a "general" circle over Canada, it's swung longer than was expected. The argument being presented is that the redistribution of the weight of polar ice caps is causing this "deviance" in axial wobble from the recorded wandering path.

The argument being presented is that the redistribution of the weight of polar ice caps is causing this "deviance" in axial wobble from the recorded wandering path.

Which doesnt have jack shit to do with the generation of the magnetic fields or magnetic poles.

A Shift In Earth’s Magnetic Poles May Hold The Secret To Climate Change

“It seems likely a magnetic-pole shift event is causing the unstable weather conditions we are experiencing, and could cause sustained changes to the Earth’s climate conditions,” Goodenough says.
If true, that would mean climate change is driven by natural forces and not humans spewing CO2 into the atmosphere, as many scientists and politicians claim, Goodenough says.
According to NASA, NOAA and the ESA, the magnetic North Pole has been creeping northward from Canada toward Russia since the early 19th century.

http://multi-science.atypon.com/doi/pdf/10.1260/095830509787689286

To be clear, I think the OP article is bullshit; a case of trying to find a connection that doesn't exist. However, there is some scientific foundation for this effect. It's called "precession" and weight distribution /could/ theoretically have an effect on it based on Newtonian physics.

If one thinks about a gyroscope; which uses precessional torque to stay "vertical" while spinning - if one were to put even a small weight on any of the arms of said gyroscope it would alter the axial precession of the gyroscope itself (aka the vertical axis, or tilt, of it.) This is a legit argument.

However, the amount of weight required to alter this in something like the Earth is, I believe, far more than the weight of the poles - especially since we're not actually anywhere near the complete melting and weight distribution of the poles yet. I highly doubt that there is any relation between polar ice cap melt and the "unexpected' path Earth's axial precession seems to have taken.

The precession of the earth is far more so effected by the rotational torque applied by the moon, sun, even Jupiter, and because of the mildly oblong shape of the earth (bulging at the equators due to said celestial object's gravitational forces) our precession "roams" erratically and always will. Jupiter, the moon, the sun, these things "pass" the Earth at different spots over a roughly (I believe its) an 80-90 thousand year cycle because of their distance and gravitational pull interactions (with Earth as well as the other planets.) It is much more likely that this "unexpected" path is caused by the outward spiraling orbit of the moon, than any melting on the poles imo.

To be clear, I think the OP article is bullshit; a case of trying to find a connection that doesn't exist. However, there is some scientific foundation for this effect. It's called "precession" and weight distribution /could/ theoretically have an effect on it based on Newtonian physics.

If one thinks about a gyroscope; which uses precessional torque to stay "vertical" while spinning - if one were to put even a small weight on any of the arms of said gyroscope it would alter the axial precession of the gyroscope itself (aka the vertical axis, or tilt, of it.) This is a legit argument.

However, the amount of weight required to alter this in something like the Earth is, I believe, far more than the weight of the poles - especially since we're not actually anywhere near the complete melting and weight distribution of the poles yet. I highly doubt that there is any relation between polar ice cap melt and the "unexpected' path Earth's axial precession seems to have taken.

The precession of the earth is far more so effected by the rotational torque applied by the moon, sun, even Jupiter, and because of the mildly oblong shape of the earth (bulging at the equators due to said celestial object's gravitational forces) our precession "roams" erratically and always will. Jupiter, the moon, the sun, these things "pass" the Earth at different spots over a roughly (I believe its) an 80-90 thousand year cycle because of their distance and gravitational pull interactions (with Earth as well as the other planets.) It is much more likely that this "unexpected" path is caused by the outward spiraling orbit of the moon, than any melting on the poles imo.

Great post, demonstrating what more detail can do for an assertion.

The thing you speak of can be minute differences in mass and spin, the 'balancing' of tires on ones auto being an example. But the 'weight' of the polar caps is not all the significant facts to consider here as the water that bears it distributes that pressure all over the Arctic Ocean in addition to being a trivial amount as compared to the mass of the rotating Earth itself.

Now, in regard to your assertion of no relation between melting ice caps and moving magnetic poles that I put in bold red; there genuinely seems to be a correlation. I find the idea that CO2, which also has been roughly corresponding to the melting ice caps and world average temperatures, to be a cause of magnetic fields changing to be absurd.

But that there is a common underlying cause to all of it seems intuitively to be true to my mind. I wonder if the variations in the Suns energy can cause a change in how the Earth Magneto performs.

PUBLISHED APRIL 8, 2016

<more>
Funniest satire of the global warming scam I've seen, thanks.

PUBLISHED APRIL 8, 2016

<more>

I know with liberals it is often difficult to tell when they are being serious and when they are engaging in satire, but since this would be liberals satirizing themselves, a rather think that they are being completely serious.

But this Aspergers thingy I am blessed with prevents me from really knowing when something is sarcasm and when it is not.

I just dont think this is intended as satire.

PUBLISHED APRIL 8, 2016

<more>

I know with liberals it is often difficult to tell when they are being serious and when they are engaging in satire, but since this would be liberals satirizing themselves, a rather think that they are being completely serious.

But this Aspergers thingy I am blessed with prevents me from really knowing when something is sarcasm and when it is not.

I just dont think this is intended as satire.
Everything the left stand for is a satire on the real world.

ou know, that is really interesting, because at the north pole, there is only one direction: south! No matter which way you go from the north pole, it is south!

Here's something else interesting. It's bizarre, but if you think carefully enough about how the Earth moves relative to the Sun, you may understand how it's true.

At the North Pole, you only see one sunrise and one sunset per year. On the day of the Vernal Equinox, the Sun will be on the horizon. Over the next three months, it will slowly spiral upward, peaking at about 23° above the horizon on the day of the Summer Solstice. For the next three months after that, it will slowly spiral back down, and on the day of the Autumn Equinox, it will again be on the horizon. Not long after that, it ill go below the Horizon,and you won't see it again for nearly six months, until just before the next Vernal Equinox when it again peeks up past the horizon.

Forum List

Back