🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Climate Change Is Moving the North Pole

There are two North Poles; the geographic North Pole determined by the Earth's rotation and the magnetic North Pole which is about 1200 miles southeast (by US view) of the geographic North Pole.

Aviators and mariners have had to know this to navigate for centuries.

Actually, there are three. The rotational pole, the magnetic pole, and the geomagnetic pole. I have to confess that I am rather hazy about why the geomagnetic pole is different from the magnetic pole, but it is.

The magnetic structure of the Earth is much more complex than most people realize, and the behavior of a magnetic compass is affected by this complexity.

Of course, I wouldn't expect anyone to understand any of this, who is foolish enough to believe that “global warming” has any meaningful effect on any of it.

Ignoring reality, it is the sole domain of the conservative mind which seeks out soothing lies and the safety of mommy and daddy nearby. Or church as it were.

jN1mrbv.gif

Unless you are suggesting earthquakes are due to global warming...
North Magnetic Pole Moving Due to Core Flux

Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet, shifted Earth's axis - CNN.com

Oh my, more evidence of climate change.

PUBLISHED APRIL 8, 2016

Finding the North Pole means traveling north, right? Yes, but with a slight caveat: Earth's northern pole is drifting rapidly eastward, and it looks like climate change is to blame. The discovery may have major implications for studies of ice loss and drought, potentially improving our ability to predict such changes in the future.

Earth turns around an axis like a giant spinning top. The places where that invisible axis intersects with the planet's surface are the north and south rotational poles. Due to Earth's wobble on its axis, these spots drift in roughly decade-long cycles. (All this motion is a completely separate mechanism from the behavior of the planet's magnetic poles, which also reverse periodically over the course of millions of years.)

Scientists pinpoint the geographic north and south poles by taking the long-term averages of those rotational positions.

Explorers and scientists have been reliably measuring the precise positions of the rotational poles since 1899, first by measuring the relative positions of the stars and then by using satellite telemetry. Over the past century or so, the poles have tended to wander by just a few centimeters a year.
<more>

It is simply so absurd that these dumbasses think that minor increases in CO2 along the surface of the Earth can affect the magnetism that is generated by this HUUUUUGE metal ball at the Earths core that is hundreds of miles thick.

These cretins never cease to amaze me with their stupidity.

Don't forget, that for the most part, these are the same folks who believe that Bruce Jenner is now a woman.

LOL. Changes in climate somehow affect the Earth's magnetic alignment. You're crazy man.

Earth's magnetism is generated when its rotation spins up the molten nickel iron core to the point it generates a magnetic field, in addition to the immense pressures exerted by the earth itself. It is not influenced by the atmosphere. Nor is it affected by temperature or pressure gradients on the surface. Over hundreds of thousands of years, the poles have flipped, more than once. The climate has (or had) no effect on it whatsoever.

What're you gonna do next? Blame Donald Trump on climate change?
Well, he does emit a lot of hot air...

Well the OP article is actually about surface weight distribution - similar to how the crust on the back side of the moon is thicker than the crust on the facing side.

While by human standards we have been recording this wandering path of the poles for a long time, in geologic time we actually wouldn't know a "normal" path from a "deviated" path if it slapped us in the face. All we can say for sure is that while the path was moving in a "general" circle over Canada, it's swung longer than was expected. The argument being presented is that the redistribution of the weight of polar ice caps is causing this "deviance" in axial wobble from the recorded wandering path.

All of the water on the Earth amounts to about 0.023% of the total mass of the Earth. Whatever tiny percentage of that is subject to freezing and melting surely is not nearly enough to have any measurable effect on the Earth's rotation, no matter how widely it is redistributed.

I know with liberals it is often difficult to tell when they are being serious and when they are engaging in satire, but since this would be liberals satirizing themselves, a rather think that they are being completely serious.

But this Aspergers thingy I am blessed with prevents me from really knowing when something is sarcasm and when it is not.

I just dont think this is intended as satire.

Poe's Law comes to mind. Where wrong-wing ideology is concerned, however, I think the distinction between satire and sincere, but extreme beliefs, becomes rather blurred, and wrong-wingers end up unintentionally creating satires of themselves.

I feel sorry for you people in the Denier Cult but I also feel sorry for people in the Flat Earth Society and the Bigfoot Believers. Your's is not a world based in reason, your world is based on emotion. Nothing wrong with being emotional but understanding reality requires reason. You are the modern equivalent of people standing on the shore telling Columbus, "You're a fool, you'll sail off the edge of the world, you don't know what you are doing".

I feel sorry for you but your ignorance must be ignored, just as it has been by intelligent people for the last 500 years. You'll eventually have to accept reality whether you like it or not.

Until then hug your teddy bear.

Great post, demonstrating what more detail can do for an assertion.

The thing you speak of can be minute differences in mass and spin, the 'balancing' of tires on ones auto being an example. But the 'weight' of the polar caps is not all the significant facts to consider here as the water that bears it distributes that pressure all over the Arctic Ocean in addition to being a trivial amount as compared to the mass of the rotating Earth itself.

Now, in regard to your assertion of no relation between melting ice caps and moving magnetic poles that I put in bold red; there genuinely seems to be a correlation. I find the idea that CO2, which also has been roughly corresponding to the melting ice caps and world average temperatures, to be a cause of magnetic fields changing to be absurd.

But that there is a common underlying cause to all of it seems intuitively to be true to my mind. I wonder if the variations in the Suns energy can cause a change in how the Earth Magneto performs.

Agreed on the weight, but it should also be considered that even if the polar caps melt their weight is going to redistribute unevenly to the equator bulge due to the gravitational pull of the moon - if one added weights evenly around the /center/ of my gyroscope example, it would /not/ throw off the axial precession (at all though I'd have to test it) what it would do is change the torque force and speed of the rotation. So I mean theoretically one can argue that the change in speed "might" effect the cycle speed, like iirc right now it's a roughly 10 year drift, rotational speed could perhaps bring that to a 9 year drift.

I do not doubt that the axial drift plays a part in climatic's, it's part of the ice age cycle in history after all. However, that cycle is /not/ man made and there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop such drift, it's going to happen no matter what we do. IMO there is nothing we could do to change /where/ that drift goes - it is caused by forces outside our planet. So even /if/ we could effect rotational speed in some minute way, and even that is stretching the theory to it's limit, it's not going to be enough to rate any "alarm" or "change" in our actions, nor to actually change the course the external celestial bodies exert on the Earth's axis.

I feel sorry for you people in the Denier Cult but I also feel sorry for people in the Flat Earth Society and the Bigfoot Believers. Your's is not a world based in reason, your world is based on emotion. Nothing wrong with being emotional but understanding reality requires reason. You are the modern equivalent of people standing on the shore telling Columbus, "You're a fool, you'll sail off the edge of the world, you don't know what you are doing".

I feel sorry for you but your ignorance must be ignored, just as it has been by intelligent people for the last 500 years. You'll eventually have to accept reality whether you like it or not.

Until then hug your teddy bear.

So how do you guess that the corelation between temperature and the increased movement of the magnetic poles is explainable?

CO2 is now able to affect the iron-nickel core of our planet?

It is simply so absurd that these dumbasses think that minor increases in CO2 along the surface of the Earth can affect the magnetism that is generated by this HUUUUUGE metal ball at the Earths core that is hundreds of miles thick.

Don't forget, that for the most part, these are the same folks who believe that Bruce Jenner is now a woman.

So your saying that, like they think it is true somehow that Jenner is now a woman, the Climate is now changing because in their minds that they think it is?

Lol, I wouldnt be surprised.

And global warming is causing that?...LMAO!
The north and south pole is based on the magnetic's of earth. What idiot wrote that report?
LOL. Of more interest, did you graduate the third grade?

Clearly stated rotational pole. Completely separate from the magnetic poles, which not only wander more, they reverse from time to time.

But how would changing temperatures change the magnetic pole which is produced by the spinning steel core of the Earth?

You liberals are such fucking gullible idiots it blows my mind.

indeed

My goodness, where in that article did it say that any affect of global warming would affect the magnetic poles? Are you unable to comprehend english? What kind of cretin could possible have gotten that out of that article?

My goodness, where in that article did it say that any affect of global warming would affect the magnetic poles? Are you unable to comprehend english? What kind of cretin could possible have gotten that out of that article?

You didnt see the title of the article?

Maybe its a new English thing, like New Math or sumpin, but to me that really sounds an awful lot like they are saying that ....

:lol:

China's Monster Three Gorges Dam Is About To Slow The Rotation Of The Earth

A shift in a mass of that size would affect the rotation of the Earth due to a phenomena known as the moment of inertia, which is the inertia of a rigid rotating body with respect to its rotation. The moment of inertia of an object about a given axis describes how difficult it is to change its angular motion about that axis. The longer the distance of a mass to its axis of rotation, the slower it will spin. You may not know it, but you see examples of this in everyday life. For example, a figure skater attempting to spin faster will draw her arms tight to her bodies, and thereby reduce her moment of inertia. Similarly, a diver attempting to somersault faster will bring his body into a tucked position.

Raising 39 trillion kilograms of water 175 meters above sea level will increase the Earth’s moment of inertia and thus slow its rotation. However, the effect would extremely small. NASA scientists calculated that shift of such as mass would increase the length of day by only 0.06 microseconds and make the Earth only very slightly more round in the middle and flat on the top. It would shift the pole position by about two centimeters (0.8 inch). Note that a shift in any object’s mass on the Earth relative to its axis of rotation will change its moment of inertia, although most shifts are too small to be measured (but they can be calculated).

Now if filling the Yangtze Resevoir can do this, think what a major increase in rainfall could do as it filled a basin presently empty.

You didnt see the title of the article?

Maybe its a new English thing, like New Math or sumpin, but to me that really sounds an awful lot like they are saying that ....

:lol:
Well, had you bothered to read the article, you would see that it clearly was refering to the rotational pole, and not the magnetic pole. You assumed that, and you look like an ass for so doing.

Forum List

Back