CNBC: Paul Ryan wants to cut entitlements to trim the deficit

I don't know. I'm pushing 60 now and I can't recall a time where disabled kids were not taken care of one way or another. Sure, we had our bad kids when I was in school, but real special needs children were segregated to other places.

As for our education system, it's a failure because they pass kids through school and they end up graduating without the ability to read their diploma. As a landlord, I've run across many of them. Their emails were so unreadable I couldn't even understand what they were asking or requesting. Misspelled words, no punctuation, no sentence structure. It was like reading emails from 8 year olds.

But we have to pass them and give them diplomas so that union run schools can stay on par for graduation rates with private schools, charter schools, and home schooling. We can't let it be known that union run schools are inferior to other education methods.
real special needs children were segregated to other places.
Yes, and some of them should be still.

As for our education system, it's a failure because they pass kids through school and they end up graduating without the ability to read their diploma.
And what is the reason for that? No, it isn't because of "unions." It is because schools are being "graded" by the feds for the # of kids who graduate and they are penalized if they have too many dropouts.
I'm a teacher. Trust me, it is not the unions causing the problem.
A UBI should help ameliorate this social dilemma.
What's a UBI? Sounds like a bladder infection.
It means recourse to an income.

It could be implemented via our existing unemployment compensation system, as well.

Persons could have recourse to an income on an at-will basis in any at-will employment State.

Market participants would self-select and improve that sector, in that manner.
Sounds interesting. I have a feeling, though, that if Republicans aren't willing to give $100 a month in food stamps to a family of four, a universal income isn't going to fly for quite awhile.
Providing for the general welfare engenders a positive multiplier effect on our economy.

Only the right wing, never gets it.

not enough women believe in equality.
No their minds are on products they'd like to purchase with having to give out...
guys usually don't mind helping out, when they are able.
Depends..
guys don't mind, especially when they have a petty cash fund for that purpose.
I keep mine in a tin lock box...
I prefer to make my money work hard, so I don't have to.

I don't understand why education can't be handled the same way, except that if I remember right, too many states were resistant to providing education to the disabled. That's when the feds took over and forced compliance. It's why our school systems are sinking--they are being expected to do too much, regardless of the cost. Even if the feds are "helping," the necessary paperwork and the final numbers are still defeating. And a lot of those kids do not belong in a regular school that wasn't designed to meet their needs.
I believe in mainstreaming in theory, but it has gone way too far. So has "diagnosing" far too many students as Special Ed when they're just being kids. But in order to get insurance to pay for counseling services, there MUST be a coverable diagnosis. So kids are labelled with some alphabet soup of "issues" and a whole slew of tracking and meetings and plans and special teachers and blah blah blah ensue.

I don't know. I'm pushing 60 now and I can't recall a time where disabled kids were not taken care of one way or another. Sure, we had our bad kids when I was in school, but real special needs children were segregated to other places.

As for our education system, it's a failure because they pass kids through school and they end up graduating without the ability to read their diploma. As a landlord, I've run across many of them. Their emails were so unreadable I couldn't even understand what they were asking or requesting. Misspelled words, no punctuation, no sentence structure. It was like reading emails from 8 year olds.

But we have to pass them and give them diplomas so that union run schools can stay on par for graduation rates with private schools, charter schools, and home schooling. We can't let it be known that union run schools are inferior to other education methods.
real special needs children were segregated to other places.
Yes, and some of them should be still.

As for our education system, it's a failure because they pass kids through school and they end up graduating without the ability to read their diploma.
And what is the reason for that? No, it isn't because of "unions." It is because schools are being "graded" by the feds for the # of kids who graduate and they are penalized if they have too many dropouts.
I'm a teacher. Trust me, it is not the unions causing the problem.
A UBI should help ameliorate this social dilemma.
What's a UBI? Sounds like a bladder infection.
It means recourse to an income.

It could be implemented via our existing unemployment compensation system, as well.

Persons could have recourse to an income on an at-will basis in any at-will employment State.

Market participants would self-select and improve that sector, in that manner.

UBI means recourse to an income? Sure you don't mean EBT?

You're not getting it.I at least hear what you're saying.
Hearing maybe, listening and considering, doesn't appear so.

The bottom line is you want to "pay" people by taxing the incomes of future generations, yet you have no idea how to make that sustainable or equitable.

I want to provide people with a means to produce real privately held and transferrable wealth for themselves, using a mechanism that has already proven itself over long periods of time

However, I have been hearing for YEARS that SS will be gone by the time I was 50, 55, 60....and it is still there.
.... and yet you've apparently never bothered to do any research or even look at the numbers underlying those warnings and seem to expect those who have to treat your opinions on the matter seriously?

Allow me to share a little wisdom with you....
"If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" -- Herbert Stein

Robbing Peter (future generations) to pay Paul (current generations) cannot go on forever.

Source: CNBC.COM
Paul Ryan wants to cut entitlements to trim the deficit, but political reality stands in his way

"Ryan views tax cuts as a policy to spur economic growth — no matter what the state of the federal budget. An increase in the deficit, which mainstream economists consider a certainty, is beside the point.

Rising debt, in fact, strengthens his zeal for his preferred deficit-reduction policy. That policy is to reduce spending by shrinking the size and scope of government that Democratic political initiatives have built.

In particular, Ryan wants to curb spending on the giant "entitlement" programs of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. "How you tackle the debt and the deficit," the speaker declared recently, is by "entitlement reform."

Democratic presidents saw those programs as a means of preventing destitution and medical calamity among senior citizens, the disabled and the poor. More than any other contemporary Republican leader, Ryan represents the philosophical tradition that opposed their creation in the first place."

Finally a congress critter saying something that I can fully support, of course the chances of federal entitlement spending reduction actually happening are somewhere between slim and none, but I'll give 'em credit if they stick to their stated principles instead of just doing the usual political sell-out.

"Thus the speaker has supported partial privatization of Social Security, conversion of Medicare to a "premium support" program for purchase of private insurance, and per-beneficiary Medicaid limits that would reduce federal spending by hundreds of billions of dollars. In opposing the 2010 Simpson-Bowles deficit reduction report, which called for both tax hikes and spending limits, he explained, "Increasing the government's take from the economy hinders growth."

Getting federal entitlement spending under control is LONG overdue and above are 3 ideas that represent a good start and worthy of serious consideration.

May the force be with you Mr. Ryan.

Well Dems have been screaming about the deficit. They should be all for cutting all entitlements.
lol. We are entitled to entitlements from general welfare spending not general warfare spending.
WE are not.
Yes, dear, we are. It is in our Constitution.

Should we quibble with the right wing, over their implementation not interpretation, of their republican doctrine?
No, the provide clause does not mean to people. Reading comprehension is key here. The government is to "promote' the general welfare and in article 1 section 8, the provide means to provide a means for the United States in general, not people specifically.

The issue of people is handled at the State level. So, no it is not in our Constitution that the government is to provide welfare to people.

Who cares about the republican doctrine or even the Democrat doctrine. Both are in it for votes and power, not people. Hell, like you, they don't even understand the proper implementation of our governments.

No their minds are on products they'd like to purchase with having to give out...
guys usually don't mind helping out, when they are able.
Depends..
guys don't mind, especially when they have a petty cash fund for that purpose.
I keep mine in a tin lock box...
I prefer to make my money work hard, so I don't have to.

Yup, that sitting on your butt for years has got to be hard work.

The bottom line is you want to "pay" people by taxing the incomes of future generations, yet you have no idea how to make that sustainable or equitable.

I want to provide people with a means to produce real privately held and transferrable wealth for themselves, using a mechanism that has already proven itself over long periods of time

However, I have been hearing for YEARS that SS will be gone by the time I was 50, 55, 60....and it is still there.
.... and yet you've apparently never bothered to do any research or even look at the numbers underlying those warnings and seem to expect those who have to treat your opinions on the matter seriously?

Robbing Peter (future generations) to pay Paul (current generations) cannot go on forever.
Exactly right. However, our politicians employ the age-old concept that if you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Pauls vote.

Yeah there is, I've been telling you how to do it all along, change SS from a system supported by promises based on the earnings of future tax payers into a system supported by privately owned real asset accounts.

You mean kinda like this....
Is that the kind of "stomping your foot and being angry" you're referring to ?

I'm not the one that's angry, I'm the one that wants to provide the means for working Americans to build actual wealth that can not only provide them with greater incomes in their retirements than the current system but will also act as a vehicle for them to pass that wealth forward to future generations rather than the current system that passes it backwards.

You seem to be angry that anyone would even dare suggest people should be held responsible for their own financial futures and fixated on why people cannot do it.

:popcorn:
I simply have both feet on the ground.
Yeah I noticed, both feet on the ground standing in a puddle of financially unsustainable status quo.

On the bright side, you seem to be a pretty nice person for an emotionally driven reactionary.

You may not like it and you ARE angry as hell that people don't fit into your nice neat middle class scheme.
LOL, whatever you say, I'm quite amazed how your EQ extends across time, space and Internet message boards, perhaps you should take up a career as a carnival act.

"Holding people responsible for their own financial futures" is lovely. For every working person in this country who has had money deducted from their check in order to pay for SS and Medicare when we get old, we have been responsible already.
Uh-huh, they're not only getting money deducted from their checks their employers are forced to match those deductions, so what's your issue with those deductions going toward assets held in a private account versus going toward a "program" based on promises of confiscating the incomes of future generations? Do you think these people are too stupid to handle owning real assets or something?

Are you not aware that the current system is cash flow negative and that "trust fund" of government debt the SSA holds is being drawn down and will be completely exhausted in 15 or so years? Are you not aware that SS, Medicare and Fed Pensions are currently almost $110 trillion underfunded over the next 75 years?

Chucking it away and blaming anyone who isn't making enough to invest in a 401 K from the time they're 25 in order to have a stable retirement is not going to earn you any points with the vast majority of humans in this country who, regardless of income, know what's actually what.
Dream on.
LOL, There is no blame, there are only the consequences of one's own decisions and having to take responsibility for them, apparently all your time on this planet has not taught you that lesson.

Once again, anybody that is unwilling to defer present consumption in order to invest in their own financial security doesn't deserve to have any, what's the alternative? Everybody deserves financial security without having to do anything for it? If nobody is responsible for their own material well being who is?
You're not getting it.
I at least hear what you're saying. However, I have been hearing for YEARS that SS will be gone by the time I was 50, 55, 60....and it is still there. Maybe it needs to be funded differently or we need to accept that we need to actually PAY for it instead of grousing by you folks who want every cent you earn to stay in your own pockets and fuck everyone who isn't smart enough or fortunate enough to live like you.
Don't like your attitude, I admit.
What makes a person incapable of planning for retirement?
I'm not chewing my cabbage twice. This is a quiz. What did I already say?
There is nothing stopping people from becoming successful except for their own choices and the govt.
Thank goodness someone is starting to cut that suppression down(govt)..

It's lasted this long. Why can't it go on until we no longer need it?

Famous last words by every dead civilization ever

I simply have both feet on the ground.
Yeah I noticed, both feet on the ground standing in a puddle of financially unsustainable status quo.

On the bright side, you seem to be a pretty nice person for an emotionally driven reactionary.

You may not like it and you ARE angry as hell that people don't fit into your nice neat middle class scheme.
LOL, whatever you say, I'm quite amazed how your EQ extends across time, space and Internet message boards, perhaps you should take up a career as a carnival act.

"Holding people responsible for their own financial futures" is lovely. For every working person in this country who has had money deducted from their check in order to pay for SS and Medicare when we get old, we have been responsible already.
Uh-huh, they're not only getting money deducted from their checks their employers are forced to match those deductions, so what's your issue with those deductions going toward assets held in a private account versus going toward a "program" based on promises of confiscating the incomes of future generations? Do you think these people are too stupid to handle owning real assets or something?

Are you not aware that the current system is cash flow negative and that "trust fund" of government debt the SSA holds is being drawn down and will be completely exhausted in 15 or so years? Are you not aware that SS, Medicare and Fed Pensions are currently almost $110 trillion underfunded over the next 75 years?

Chucking it away and blaming anyone who isn't making enough to invest in a 401 K from the time they're 25 in order to have a stable retirement is not going to earn you any points with the vast majority of humans in this country who, regardless of income, know what's actually what.
Dream on.
LOL, There is no blame, there are only the consequences of one's own decisions and having to take responsibility for them, apparently all your time on this planet has not taught you that lesson.

Once again, anybody that is unwilling to defer present consumption in order to invest in their own financial security doesn't deserve to have any, what's the alternative? Everybody deserves financial security without having to do anything for it? If nobody is responsible for their own material well being who is?
You're not getting it.
I at least hear what you're saying. However, I have been hearing for YEARS that SS will be gone by the time I was 50, 55, 60....and it is still there. Maybe it needs to be funded differently or we need to accept that we need to actually PAY for it instead of grousing by you folks who want every cent you earn to stay in your own pockets and fuck everyone who isn't smart enough or fortunate enough to live like you.
There is nothing stopping people from becoming successful except for their own choices and the govt.
Oh, don't you turn into a self righteous prig, too.

Famous last words by every dead civilization ever
An answer would be more helpful. Why can't it?

You're not getting it.
Oh please OL. Our ideas of helping people out are different.
Give a man a fish, he has a meal. Teach a man to fish, he is fed for life.
I believe in personal responsibility. That is the roof over every familys economic head.

Math... learn it, live it, love it.

I have never taken a dime for "assistance."

How many times have you "worked" for the "government" in one form or another?
12 years. Well, if Job Corps counts, 15. So you call that "assistance?"
So you got a government job with preferential treatment because you were a single mom?
No. I got a college degree.
Me too. First in family to do so. Started out in a trailer...son of factory worker...but, hey my “white privilege” is what got me where I am today. Forget about working two jobs in high school and college...forget about serving in the U.S.Army and in United States Marines (combat vet). Nope. I guess I should have been a lazy, crybaby, worthless asshole and expected the rest of society to lift me up with their hard earned tax dollars. BTW went all the way to gradute school degree in my field of study. Earned one of the few government assistance programs necessary...GI Bill.

You're not getting it.
Oh please OL. Our ideas of helping people out are different.
Give a man a fish, he has a meal. Teach a man to fish, he is fed for life.
I believe in personal responsibility. That is the roof over every familys economic head.
I know you worked hard for what you have and as they say Downeast, "you done good." That's high praise.
Not everyone has your drive, smarts and determination. And sometimes plain old luck plays into it. That is the only point I am making. It isn't that I want to see everyone sitting on their ass getting assistance. However, I'll be goddamned if I want to live in a place like India where people are starving in cardboard boxes on the sidewalks.
That has never been who we are. NightFox's vision would leave many in that predicament.

Math... learn it, live it, love it.
upload_2017-12-28_11-41-8.jpeg

Anything but that.....

Done with your childish little rant??

How do YOU propose to cut the national debt?

We have a SPENDING problem ... you can only fix it by cutting spending. What's on YOUR hit list?
As I said, cut the War Department.

Imagine if the asshole criminals of the imperial capital were to place a moratorium on "defense" spending (really war making) for say 10 years. Then, use all those multiple trillions to help make America great.

We don't have a War Department!

Grow up!
LMFAO!!!

This where you and I part ways on most topics. You go stupid like a liberal and there is no bringing you back!
That is laughable, but sad too. Many Americans refuse to believe their country has become an imperial empire, with a military intervening everywhere around the world. Doing the bidding of the Oligarchy. How they can think this way is strange, since the truth is plain to see.

Yes we call it leadership, and peace through strength. We don't conquer nations. Get a grip.

Cut the entitlements. Let the entitlement whores care for their own families...the way humans are supposed to do, and the way decent people do.

I have never taken a dime for "assistance."

How many times have you "worked" for the "government" in one form or another?
12 years. Well, if Job Corps counts, 15. So you call that "assistance?"
So you got a government job with preferential treatment because you were a single mom?
No. I got a college degree.
Me too. First in family to do so. Started out in a trailer...son of factory worker...but, hey my “white privilege” is what got me where I am today. Forget about working two jobs in high school and college...forget about serving in the U.S.Army and in United States Marines (combat vet). Nope. I guess I should have been a lazy, crybaby, worthless asshole and expected the rest of society to lift me up with their hard earned tax dollars. BTW went all the way to gradute school degree in my field of study. Earned one of the few government assistance programs necessary...GI Bill.
We're talking about Social Security, not lazy, crybaby worthless assholes. They WORKED and EARNED their benefits. So how do we continue to make the program work? If it worked this long, there IS a way.
Focus.

Forum List

Back