CNN: Stop saying "radical Islam"

It is a legitimate semantic point, and a puzzle to which no one has presented an acceptable solution.

Just as the media were reluctant to label the dead at Jonestown "Christians" (which they emphatically claimed to be), they are now faced with scores of groups of people around the world who claim to represent the forces of Islam, and claim to be carrying out the wishes of The Prophet, while the vast majority of Muslims do not share their beliefs or support their actions.

If someone blows himself up, killing a hundred innocent bystanders, while screaming Allahu Akhbar!, how can you ignore the Muslim aspect of the act? And yet you don't want to associate all Muslims with the conduct that most Muslims abhor.

Without insulting the intelligence of the audience or ignoring reality, what do you call these criminals?

ClosedCaption - I could argue that's why they say cat's have nine lives...

As to the rest, I don't really give a shit what we call them so this is a whatever for me. Just need to pick a stupid name and go with it already.

Anyone can call them whatever they want. For some reason republicans think someones opinion is an edict and they must fight against...something.

I guess it feels good for them to fight against something else for a change besides heart Disease and Tooth decay

Hey....we stole the tactic from lefties and BLM.

Already predicted this excuse on page 1. Try to keep up

LOL...Its not allowed I guess, by some new rules that cons claim to hate...while they use it themselves. Such is the way of the republican.

Should we call it 'radical Islam'? - CNN.com

Ah. More liberals preaching to us. CNN says we can't say "radical Islam" anymore.

Their guy says saying "radical Islam" is like saying I want a "juicy steak". He says even though you add "juicy" the focus is on "steak" and doesn't differentiate between a juicy or dry steak so only steak is the focus.

Yeah....that's literally what he argued.

He says using harsh language towards ISIS is childish and likens it to boys being boys fueled by testosterone (yeah....evil stuff there in libland).

Insanity. Liberalism is pure insanity.

I'm not sure about saying "radical Islam", however Bush spent a lot of time essentially making people believe that all Muslims were bad and evil. Anyone who speaks Islam is bad and evil. Anyone who looks like an Arab is bad and evel.

Last week two people got taken off a plane for TALKING ARABIC, in a country with no official language. GO FIGURE. It worked, and people are playing on these fears.

to which Bush do you refer and -----do you have a link describing this incident?
Got link to the "we took them off the plane because they spoke in Arabic?

Bush W.

Arabic-speaking men kicked off Southwest flight in Houston
Arabic-speaking men thrown off flight | Veooz
http://www.city-data.com/forum/curr...abic-speaking-men-kicked-off-southwest-4.html

Take your pick.

Juicy Radical Islam.

Well, that's very good : )

Except the explainer in the article would say you still do not have it right.

You have to say "I would like to order the radical Islamic steak." Now the emphasis is all on 'steak' and no one is offended by the other descriptives.

Ah. More liberals preaching to us. CNN says we can't say "radical Islam" anymore.

Their guy says saying "radical Islam" is like saying I want a "juicy steak". He says even though you add "juicy" the focus is on "steak" and doesn't differentiate between a juicy or dry steak so only steak is the focus.

He says using harsh language towards ISIS is childish and likens it to boys being boys fueled by testosterone (yeah....evil stuff there in libland).

It's Reactionary Islam actually, but people usually think radical when shit blows up...

It is a legitimate semantic point, and a puzzle to which no one has presented an acceptable solution.

Just as the media were reluctant to label the dead at Jonestown "Christians" (which they emphatically claimed to be), they are now faced with scores of groups of people around the world who claim to represent the forces of Islam, and claim to be carrying out the wishes of The Prophet, while the vast majority of Muslims do not share their beliefs or support their actions.

If someone blows himself up, killing a hundred innocent bystanders, while screaming Allahu Akhbar!, how can you ignore the Muslim aspect of the act? And yet you don't want to associate all Muslims with the conduct that most Muslims abhor.

Without insulting the intelligence of the audience or ignoring reality, what do you call these criminals?

muslims who do criminal acts FOR THE SAKE OF THEIR RELIGION -----
are muslim criminals. a muslim who runs a stop sign------is a driver who
ran a stop sign. Quakers who refuse to be drafted are quakers who refuse to
be drafted. Protestants who refuse to be drafted are citizens who refuse
to be drafted and may be simply draft dodgers ----ie. MOTIVATION IS AN ISSUE. a white supremacist
protestant who shoots up a black church-----is a white supremacist murderer.
It is not all that complicated.

I'm not sure about saying "radical Islam", however Bush spent a lot of time essentially making people believe that all Muslims were bad and evil. Anyone who speaks Islam is bad and evil. Anyone who looks like an Arab is bad and evel.

Last week two people got taken off a plane for TALKING ARABIC, in a country with no official language. GO FIGURE. It worked, and people are playing on these fears.

to which Bush do you refer and -----do you have a link describing this incident?

Bush W.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/curr...abic-speaking-men-kicked-off-southwest-4.html

Take your pick.

according to your citations----the six men got on the plane and INSISTED
that seated passengers be MOVED around for THEIR CONVENIENCE---
not for speaking Arabic. -------I doubt that a whole lot of people in Texas
can tell the difference between Arabic and Italian or ----Arabic and Chinese

It's Reactionary Islam actually, but people usually think radical when shit blows up...

Except you.
That's correct, because I can see the forest for the trees and I don't wet the bed just because people get killed, even in large numbers at one time. Live enough decades and that can happen, meaning you don't live in fear you just deal with what is, head on.

'CNN: Stop saying "radical Islam"'

Wrong.

'CNN' said no such thing.

It's an op-ed, an opinion piece, nothing more.

And the writer makes a valid point:

“So, the indignant right-wing columnists who yearn for America to express a more direct contempt for ISIS are missing that we can do that via exactly the euphemism they read as a sign of weakness. In saying we are battling "terrorists" rather than "radical Islam," we reveal ourselves as better than the barbarians.”

True.

It also acknowledges the fact that terrorism is the problem, not Islam, that the terrorists have misappropriated Islam, and are in no way 'representative' of 'all Muslims.'

But as already correctly noted: conservatives remain at liberty to use any phrase they so desire, even a clumsy, inaccurate phrase that reveals more about those who use it than those to whom the phrase is applied.

Bush W.

Take your pick.

I have majorly slow internet at the moment, so I didn't actually read the articles. It was something I'd read before. It's just taking like 5 minutes for articles to actually appear on the page right now. Very frustrating.

This is the right one....

Two Arabic speaking men kept from boarding US plane | Middle East Association

"
Two men were kept from boarding a Southwest Airlines flight from Chicago to Philadelphia because they were speaking Arabic, said a report.

Maher Khalil and Anas Ayyad, of Palestinian origin, were told by a gate agent at Midway Airport on Thursday that they wouldn’t be allowed on the plane because a fellow passenger had overheard them speaking Arabic - and was afraid to fly with them - one of several incidents reflecting public paranoia since the Paris attacks, said a report by Agence France-Presse (AFP)"

Bush W.

Take your pick.

I have majorly slow internet at the moment, so I didn't actually read the articles. It was something I'd read before. It's just taking like 5 minutes for articles to actually appear on the page right now. Very frustrating.

"
Two men were kept from boarding a Southwest Airlines flight from Chicago to Philadelphia because they were speaking Arabic, said a report.

Maher Khalil and Anas Ayyad, of Palestinian origin, were told by a gate agent at Midway Airport on Thursday that they wouldn’t be allowed on the plane because a fellow passenger had overheard them speaking Arabic - and was afraid to fly with them - one of several incidents reflecting public paranoia since the Paris attacks, said a report by Agence France-Presse (AFP)"

OH?? some French publication got word of this event which took place in Chicago????? Did the Southwest Airline confirm the report? I would
be surprised if Southwest called that Newspaper and said "Our agent thew
a few guys off a plane for speaking Arabic." Let me know if you find something
credible

Any negro thug you enters my 'safe space' without my consent is going to end up in a very safe place. Six fucking feet deep in the ground.

I resent your use of the SN "dannyboys"-----you are a disgrace to the people of the emerald isles. SHAMErock upon you and your household
What do you think would happen if a negro thug kicked down someone's door in "the emerald isles" and proceeded to rape and murder the family within? What if one of the family members had a gun?
But this isn't likely to happen is it. What's the negro population in NI? Like 6? What's the negro population in the ROI? Like 1%.
You're more likely to see a fucking Leprechaun than a negro in Ireland.
Looks like the Irish know something about negroes the US doesn't right?
You're the disgrace. You're a pussy coward.

Terrorist terrorize, that's their goal. It's better to call them what they are: pathological barbarians and criminals doing the work of the devil.

Any negro thug you enters my 'safe space' without my consent is going to end up in a very safe place. Six fucking feet deep in the ground.

I resent your use of the SN "dannyboys"-----you are a disgrace to the people of the emerald isles. SHAMErock upon you and your household
What do you think would happen if a negro thug kicked down someone's door in "the emerald isles" and proceeded to rape and murder the family within? What if one of the family members had a gun?
But this isn't likely to happen is it. What's the negro population in NI? Like 6? What's the negro population in the ROI? Like 1%.
You're more likely to see a fucking Leprechaun than a negro in Ireland.
Looks like the Irish know something about negroes the US doesn't right?
You're the disgrace. You're a pussy coward.

lately there are lots more blacks in Ireland----try to keep up. In any case your scenario is purely imaginary and not an issue. You commented "if some black steps in uninvited" nothing about knocking the door down and raping

Bush W.

Take your pick.

"

OH?? some French publication got word of this event which took place in Chicago????? Did the Southwest Airline confirm the report? I would
be surprised if Southwest called that Newspaper and said "Our agent thew
a few guys off a plane for speaking Arabic." Let me know if you find something
credible

Like I said, I have slow internet. I gave you the first page that would open. You don't like it, then find another one. You wanted a source, you got a source. How many people on this board actually give sources?

You won't be getting anything else. I don't do ungrateful people.

You can either talk about this issue, or you can play games, the latter means I won't be talking to you. I don't come on here for that nonsense.

Terrorist terrorize, that's their goal. It's better to call them what they are: pathological barbarians and criminals doing the work of the devil.
What they are, are Pious and Brutal men. These aren't criminals, those they flog, if they aren't chopping hands or heads off.

Forum List

Back