Coalminers Take Alabama Strike To Wall Street

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"Coal miners and union advocates from across the country rallied in New York on Wednesday morning in support of Alabama miners who are four months into a strike against their employer, Warrior Met Coal. Workers say they took on a $6-an-hour cut in wages and reduced benefits in their 2016 union contract after Walter Energy, which eventually became Warrior Met Coal, declared bankruptcy in 2015. UMWA rejected a contract offered up by the company in April, just a few weeks after the strike began, which would have given workers a $1.50 pay increase over five years.

“It’s about time to get what we deserve. We brought this company out of bankruptcy,” said Mike Wright, 45, a Brookwood miner on strike. Miners said that in addition to a cut in pay and benefits, workers could be expected to work seven days a week, up to 16 hours a day, and termination for missing more than four days of work except in the case of a family death. Brian Kelly, 50, a third-generation miner and president UMWA Local 2245 who attended the protest with his wife, two daughters and grandson, said; “There used to be a little respect for people who go down there… and this company just lost all respect for us.”

First of all...why are these people protesting in front of Wallstreet investment firms like Blackrock?? And why aren't they protesting Biden for forcing their company to go bankrupt in the first place with all of the regulations and stuff?? This is the problem with most of these so-called "working class" people...they are very ungrateful and always think they are entitled to more than what they deserve.....

Yea, they took a $6 dollar paycut and yea, even tho worker productivity is at an all time high; they are still expected to work 16 hr days, 7 days a week...but why can't they be satisfied with the $1.50 raise over 5 years?? That is getting a guaranteed .30 cents every year; that's nothing to sneeze at if you are a working class peasant; I mean person...they should just be happy to have a job and be a bit more thankful.

I thought you enviro-moonbat whacks hated coal, and felt absolutely no remorse for putting these men entirely out of their mining jobs.....IOW, ZERO income.

Is there a consistently held principle to be found anywhere in your miserable existences?

"Coal miners and union advocates from across the country rallied in New York on Wednesday morning in support of Alabama miners who are four months into a strike against their employer, Warrior Met Coal. Workers say they took on a $6-an-hour cut in wages and reduced benefits in their 2016 union contract after Walter Energy, which eventually became Warrior Met Coal, declared bankruptcy in 2015. UMWA rejected a contract offered up by the company in April, just a few weeks after the strike began, which would have given workers a $1.50 pay increase over five years.

“It’s about time to get what we deserve. We brought this company out of bankruptcy,” said Mike Wright, 45, a Brookwood miner on strike. Miners said that in addition to a cut in pay and benefits, workers could be expected to work seven days a week, up to 16 hours a day, and termination for missing more than four days of work except in the case of a family death. Brian Kelly, 50, a third-generation miner and president UMWA Local 2245 who attended the protest with his wife, two daughters and grandson, said; “There used to be a little respect for people who go down there… and this company just lost all respect for us.”

First of all...why are these people protesting in front of Wallstreet investment firms like Blackrock?? And why aren't they protesting Biden for forcing their company to go bankrupt in the first place with all of the regulations and stuff?? This is the problem with most of these so-called "working class" people...they are very ungrateful and always think they are entitled to more than what they deserve.....

Yea, they took a $6 dollar paycut and yea, even tho worker productivity is at an all time high; they are still expected to work 16 hr days, 7 days a week...but why can't they be satisfied with the $1.50 raise over 5 years?? That is getting a guaranteed .30 cents every year; that's nothing to sneeze at if you are a working class peasant; I mean person...they should just be happy to have a job and be a bit more thankful.
You'd probably tell slaves the same thing. Be thankful massah feeds you. What a load of crap, all designed to serve the interests of the exploiters.

And please how Biden caused that company to face bankrupcy 6 years ago, when coal has been dying for years regardless of who is President? Really, you white-rights will believe anything any lying QOP shill tells you. It's embarrassing for foreigners to see how many dolts there are in this country.

I thought you enviro-moonbat whacks hated coal, and felt absolutely no remorse out of putting these men entirely out of their mining jobs.

Is there a consistently held principle to be found anywhere in your miserable existences?
Apparently you're dull-witted and need this explained, facha. For WORK they should be well paid. Their jobs should be transitioned to the manufacturer of wind and solar equipment, yes.

Too complicated for you, Qtip-head?

Notice Democrats have them so afraid of being called "insurrectionists" now, that they don't dare set foot in DC.

The criminals are winning bigly.

For all intents and purposes, we are now a dictatorship. it just hasn't been boiled down to one. They are still dozens.

Investment firms supply invest and appoint leadership.

When leadership and investment firm's people agree to seven day 12 + hours then they can demand others to do it

Besides, you loons despise coal, save your pretend grief

Apparently you're dull-witted and need this explained, facha. For WORK they should be well paid. Their jobs should be transitioned to the manufacturer of wind and solar equipment, yes.

Too complicated for you, Qtip-head?
You have no idea what met coal is do you?

Hint, you have none you're in a world of hurt

I used to be staunchly against unions. However, times change and the politicians (both sides) are so tightly wedged up those corporate assholes that they could tell you what they ate, that unions are needed. If the government won't support you, and the corporations surely won't, the people need to lock it down.
We need strikes, we need unions, we need to organize and march against these cocksuckers.
Especially rat fucks like Amazon, and Walmart.

I used to be staunchly against unions. However, times change and the politicians (both sides) are so tightly wedged up those corporate assholes that they could tell you what they ate, that unions are needed. If the government won't support you, and the corporations surely won't, the people need to lock it down.
We need strikes, we need unions, we need to organize and march against these cocksuckers.

I don't care for unions but 7 days of 16 hours is absurd

Private unions have always been fine with me....Right of free association and all that.

It's bureaucrat unions like AFSCME that are abhorrent.

I don't care for unions but 7 days of 16 hours is absurd

Incrementalism. It's the small bites. I have seen the worst of unions myself. I worked in management at a very large trucking company whose dock workers were unionized. Very hard to deal with, if not impossible in certain circumstances. However, there was a solid point to their stubbornness. One union guy told me once, "if I go on my break to pick up that box, tomorrow it will be the same request, then two boxes. Then when we go into bargaining in a few years, you guys might hold that against us"
And he was right.
I think that workers need a voice. Politicians, and their legislative actions used to be that. However, politicians are so in the pocket of corporations, along with every other aspect of our culture that the people need to take it upon themselves to fight back.

Private unions have always been fine with me....Right of free association and all that.

It's bureaucrat unions like AFSCME that are abhorrent.
I can see your point. I dealt with Teamsters and they were a right pain in the ass at times. These years later though, those guys had some points.

Biden for forcing their company to go bankrupt in the first place with all of the regulations and stuff?? ...LOL!!

Forum List

Back