Cold Antarctic Bottom Water is warming up

Climate related sea rise from melting ice.
The oceans are rising for two reasons, melting land-based ice and expansion from increasing temperatures. The latter is the greater factor at present.

So, are you 1) rejecting that the Earth is getting warmer or 2) that getting warmer will cause ice to melt or 3) that melting ice will cause the seas to rise or that 4) getting water warmer will cause the seas to expand?

The oceans are rising for two reasons, melting land-based ice and expansion from increasing temperatures. The latter is the greater factor at present.

So, are you 1) rejecting that the Earth is getting warmer or 2) that getting warmer will cause ice to melt or 3) that melting ice will cause the seas to rise or that 4) getting water warmer will cause the seas to expand?
Like I said, if Obama is concerned and sells his MV estate.....I'll give it some serious thought.

And why is that your apparently sole criterion? Can you explain the logic you're using?
Obama pushed the data and notion, yet owns beachfront property, along with many other climate 'truthers'. Sounds like blatant hypocrisy to me.

Obama pushed the data and notion, yet owns beachfront property, along with many other climate 'truthers'. Sounds like blatant hypocrisy to me.
I don't recall Obama urging his fellow Americans to stop buying oceanfront property. I also believe he is free to spend his money on any house he wants. If he loses millions on it, you should just be that much happier.

Isn't your real argument that Obama, having been president, knows the truth about AGW and if he thinks its okay to spend millions on an oceanfront property, there must actually be no global warming. You don't mean hypocrisy, you mean you think he lied to us.

Wouldn't a great way to check that be to have a look at the science?

I don't recall Obama urging his fellow Americans to stop buying oceanfront property. I also believe he is free to spend his money on any house he wants. If he loses millions on it, you should just be that much happier.

Isn't your real argument that Obama, having been president, knows the truth about AGW and if he thinks its okay to spend millions on an oceanfront property, there must actually be no global warming. You don't mean hypocrisy, you mean you think he lied to us.

Wouldn't a great way to check that be to have a look at the science?
He is not alone. That's the trouble, the science.

Another piece of evidence that manmade global warming is slowing the ocean's overturning currents. These currents are responsible for providing nutrients to the world's equatorial waters and buffering temperature extremes. Their collapse would be catastrophic for life on this planet.

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING! RUN FOR THE HILLS, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! because the crock and CNN say so. Meh.

That's a single volcano. Those volcanoes have been there for millions of years. They are not responsible for current increases in ice melt
Might want to listen to Oddball, there is a lot of geothermal activity in Antarctica, and it's been going on
for some time now.

Last edited:
Might want to listen to Oddball, there is a lot of geothermal activity in Antarctica, and it's been going going on
for some time now.

I repeat, those volcanoes have been there for millions of years. They are NOT responsible for the current increases in ice melt.

I repeat, those volcanoes have been there for millions of years. They are NOT responsible for the current increases in ice melt.
They’re active, to say they don’t contribute is hilarious

But what about that "scientific source" Crock? It doesn't count because it doesn't fit your agenda?
You guys must love getting embarrassed.

From Oddball's linked article - a completely reputable piece from an excellent source.

Abstract​

Explosive volcanic eruptions are the largest non-anthropogenic perturbations for Earth’s climate, because of the injection of sulfate aerosols into the stratosphere. This causes significant radiation imbalances, resulting in surface cooling for most of the globe. However, despite its crucial importance for Antarctic ice sheet mass balance, the response of the Southern Ocean to eruptions has yet to be understood. After the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in 1991, much of the Southern Ocean cooled; however, off the Antarctic Peninsula a warming of up to 0.8 °C is found in the observations. To understand the physical mechanisms associated with this counter-intuitive response, we combine observational analysis from the Mt. Pinatubo eruption with the Last Millennium Ensemble (850–1850) conducted with the Community Earth System Model. These results show not only that the observed warming off the Peninsula following the Mt. Pinatubo eruption is consistent with the forced response to low-latitude eruptions but further, that this warming is a response to roughly 16% weakening of subsurface Weddell Gyre outflow. These changes are triggered by a southward shift of the Southern Hemisphere polar westerlies (∼2°latitude). Our results suggest that warming induced by future volcanic eruptions may further enhance the vulnerability of the ice shelves off the Antarctic Peninsula.

Why don't you all read that and then I won't have to explain what idiots you all are. Again.

You guys must love getting embarrassed.

From Oddball's linked article - a completely reputable piece from an excellent source.

Abstract​

Explosive volcanic eruptions are the largest non-anthropogenic perturbations for Earth’s climate, because of the injection of sulfate aerosols into the stratosphere. This causes significant radiation imbalances, resulting in surface cooling for most of the globe. However, despite its crucial importance for Antarctic ice sheet mass balance, the response of the Southern Ocean to eruptions has yet to be understood. After the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in 1991, much of the Southern Ocean cooled; however, off the Antarctic Peninsula a warming of up to 0.8 °C is found in the observations. To understand the physical mechanisms associated with this counter-intuitive response, we combine observational analysis from the Mt. Pinatubo eruption with the Last Millennium Ensemble (850–1850) conducted with the Community Earth System Model. These results show not only that the observed warming off the Peninsula following the Mt. Pinatubo eruption is consistent with the forced response to low-latitude eruptions but further, that this warming is a response to roughly 16% weakening of subsurface Weddell Gyre outflow. These changes are triggered by a southward shift of the Southern Hemisphere polar westerlies (∼2°latitude). Our results suggest that warming induced by future volcanic eruptions may further enhance the vulnerability of the ice shelves off the Antarctic Peninsula.

Why don't you all read that and then I won't have to explain what idiots you all are. Again.
Why does that trump ours?

Forum List

Back