Collision at sea

Admiral Rockwell Tory

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2015
Sitting down in front of my computer
The USS Fitzgerald was under its own power but had limited propulsion after being involved in a collision with a Philippine-flagged merchant vessel ACX Crystal while operating off the coast of Japan, according to the U.S. military.

US Navy warship collides with cargo ship off coast of Japan

"A collision at sea can rule your whole day" - NOT from Thucydides!

It happened at night, but i still dont understand how that could happen. I feel sorry for whoever was in command of the bridge at the time. I have a feeling the captain was asleep in his quarters when the collision occurred, so his career is probably safe.

It happened at night, but i still dont understand how that could happen. I feel sorry for whoever was in command of the bridge at the time. I have a feeling the captain was asleep in his quarters when the collision occurred, so his career is probably safe.

Uh, no. He is ultimately responsible, no matter what!

A friend of mine's ship ran aground on a sand bar close to the pier in Newport , RI after a hurricane had deposited it there while the ship was at sea. No one could have possibly known it was there. His career was over the minute he ran aground. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. The captain takes the heat.

Port or Starboard lookouts on the bridge had better given the OD a heads up. Was fog a problem, and did the OD not set a fog watch. Too many questions, to little info.

I don't know anything about ships (except that I hate being on them) but doesn't a modern-day warship have some sort of radar sensing to protect against being rammed?

CO Benson was injured, 3 compartments flooded, engineering and 2 berths.
Hit on starboard,thus Fitzgerald s fault. CO medevaced, 2nd medevac under way, no numbers known. 7 sailors missing.
XO has taken over command
Prayers out.

Last edited:
Doubt it. He was also injured and medevaced out. Another medevac under way.

APTOPIX_Japan_US_Navy_Collision_85344-ab8de-4965.jpg

Japan
58 min ago
Collided ship turns right angle
A record aboard a Philippine container ship involved in a collision with a US destroyer shows that it took a sharp right turn southeast of the Izu Peninsula around 1:30 AM, about an hour before the collision.

The record shows that the merchant ship, the ACX Crystal, then navigated east for about 30 minutes before making a U-turn and doubling back into the waters where the collision took place.

The ship left Nagoya, central Japan, for Tokyo on Friday evening, and passed south of the Izu Peninsula on Friday at midnight.

NHK

I don't know anything about ships (except that I hate being on them) but doesn't a modern-day warship have some sort of radar sensing to protect against being rammed?
It has both a surface search radar (the smaller one that constantly rotates) and SPY-1 (the big white panels on the wreck picture above) that give 360 degree search and track of both air and sea targets.

In theory it can sense a small cruise missile at wave-top height from 20 miles away, a cargo ship should not be a challenge.

A friend of mine's ship ran aground on a sand bar close to the pier in Newport , RI after a hurricane had deposited it there while the ship was at sea. No one could have possibly known it was there. His career was over the minute he ran aground. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. The captain takes the heat.
Ive never heard of a situation where the Captain was sleeping, his ship crashed while someone else was on duty at the wheel (given the time, it probably wasnt even the XO, but rather some lowly Lt JG), and the Captain gets busted.

Ive never heard of a situation where the Captain was sleeping, his ship crashed while someone else was on duty at the wheel (given the time, it probably wasnt even the XO, but rather some lowly Lt JG), and the Captain gets busted.

Every time.

BTW, the ship is steered by enlisted personnel, usually a deck seaman at the direction of the conning officer who is usually supervised by the Officer-of-the-Deck (OOD).

XOs usually do not stand bridge watches.

I was qualified as OOD on a guided missile cruiser.

Yep

Forum List

Back