Colorado Gov. Jared Polis invites Disney to his state

I've never been to a Disneyland or Disney World and have no desire to. My Ma is from Sacramento and she offered several times to take my sister and me but I didn't want to go as a kid. She and my sister went several times to Disneyland.
And this means nothing to me...........Has nothing to do with that at all.........You are Free to Moon the world ..........No one cares.........

This is about them pushing BS on children..........they went to the wrong place...........and will not like the results..........OH WELL........

I doubt Disney will move or stop fighting Florida in court.
Disney is in one of the best areas they could find in the continental United States. There are millions of old time Floridians though that are not enamored with it. Mainly for the less hectic pace they lived, and it has changed a bit for many. The Disney of 1967 changed in a huge way over the years.

Yeah that was just a quick guess off the top of my head. I was doing a mental inventory of the Disney hotels and restaurants, the buildings and attractions at the parks, and the massive infrastructure interconnecting everything ... I got to the billion dollar estimate before I got very far along lol.

I disagree about it not being a big deal though. Disney is a publicly traded corporation. They cannot just absorb the kind of expenses they're going to have to pay going forward without it negatively affecting their earnings. Shareholders do not expect Disney's board and officers to act in the name of the corporation in a way that is damaging to the value of the corporation and the price of the stock. In fact, undertaking or endorsing any action by the corporation that foreseeably harms the stock value is legal cause for ouster of board members. I would not be surprised if there is a shakeup on the board of directors as a result of this, whether it's done quietly behind the scenes or more publicly. That is likely being discussed among the influential stockholders who are not at all pleased with the continuing downward trend of Disney stock this year (down 6% in one day is unacceptable for a blue chip) -- it's the worst performing stock in the entire Dow Jones index so far in 2022.

I said "financially, it's not a big deal". Losing that self-governing thing isn't going to hit Disney's bottom line all that hard. Certainly not as hard as trying to move DisneyWorld would. THAT would take the whole company under. In terms of the negative publicity and what it's doing to their stock prices and the goodwill of their shareholders, this fight with Florida is a problem for Disney, at least in the short term.

If Florida had decided to review and potentially end these sorts of agreements for some other reason, without all the cultural strife in the media, it would ultimately have been an annoyance to Disney that they just absorbed and moved on from. Anyone who thinks that Disney can just flip the bird to Florida with impunity and continue trying to bully them is badly misunderstanding the situation. Whatever the shareholders of Disney do or don't think about the LGBT community and public education, they are invested in that company for money, not for cultural warfare, and they're going to be pissed at having their money squandered like this.

I am ecstatic that one of the largest companies in history finally has to pay the same taxes as everyone else there.

If I'm understanding correctly, they DO pay taxes already. They just pay them to the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which they also run, so they are in essence paying taxes to themselves.

As with most things in corporate America, it's complicated.

Last edited:
I imagine the 100,000 jobs that went away and tax revenues would not be. But you be you.

Unlikely to happen though. More likely any increase in prices will be passed on to consumers there.
A lot of people moved into the Orlando area for the jobs.

They can just pack up and move back where they came from. Good riddance!

Before Disney Orlando did fine with Martin Marietta, the Cape and being an agriculture center. Several insurance companies had their headquarters there. All Disney did was fuck things up.

Boy if Disney World ever left Florida, Orlando would turn into a real shithole.

wait..

I know you want to make this issue about children being molested. But that's NOT the issue. The issue is a sitting regime using the power of the state to punish its political enemies.

Here's a question for you to hide from: here in Colorado we have several prominent pro-life businesses that have committed themselves to fighting for changing abortion laws. If Polis targeted the in the same way that Desantis has targeted Disney - would you be good with that?

He wouldn't do that, of course, because, whatever his flaws, he's not a fucking fascist. But if he did - you'd give your blessing, eh?

You know the answer to that don't you?
MAGA

I said "financially, it's not a big deal". Losing that self-governing thing isn't going to hit Disney's bottom line all that hard. Certainly not as hard as trying to move DisneyWorld would. THAT would take the whole company under. In terms of the negative publicity and what it's doing to their stock prices and the goodwill of their shareholders, this fight with Florida is a problem for Disney, at least in the short term.

If Florida had decided to review and potentially end these sorts of agreements for some other reason, without all the cultural strife in the media, it would ultimately have been an annoyance to Disney that they just absorbed and moved on from. Anyone who thinks that Disney can just flip the bird to Florida with impunity and continue trying to bully them is badly misunderstanding the situation. Whatever the shareholders of Disney do or don't think about the LGBT community and public education, they are invested in that company for money, not for cultural warfare, and they're going to be pissed at having their money squandered like this.
You underestimate what the revocation of their special tax district is going to cost Disney on an annual basis. Most estimates put the costs upwards of $200 million annually. That is a significant amount of money that is going to have an effect on their quarterly earnings unless they cut an equal amount from expenditures elsewhere without it negatively affecting revenue. So the harm to their stock value is not limited to the effects of the negative PR.

Otherwise, I agree with you. The hit to their bottom line from this would not justify the massive cost to relocate outside of Florida

A lot of people moved into the Orlando area for the jobs.

They can just pack up and move back where they came from. Good riddance!

Before Disney Orlando did fine with Martin Marietta, the Cape and being an agriculture center. Several insurance companies had their headquarters there. All Disney did was fuck things up.
Jeez, how old ARE you? ? ?
I remember when Florida was just a swamp. It was so much better! Maybe you should be the one that moves.

Forum List

Back