Common Core Sixth Grade Assignment: Destroy the Bill of Rights

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
Worksheet asks children to remove parts of the Bill of Rights (Includes interview)

Worksheet asks children to remove parts of the Bill of Rights!

A student in Bryant School District in Arkansas brought home a worksheet that presented her with a scenario that referred to the Bill of Rights as “outdated” and that as part of a special committee she would need to throw out two of the Amendments.
The worksheet was handed out to Sixth grade students in a History class. According to the girl’s mother, Lela Spears, she has not received any government or civics classes and this was the first assignment dealing with the Constitution or Bill of Rights. The school district is participating in the embattled Common Core curriculum.

1379669_645534145480842_877145441_n.jpg

Last edited:
The American public can always change the Constitution.

That is part of the Constitution.

A great assignment for a youngster learning about it: s/he has to know it before s/he can offer sensible changes.

A great assignment for a youngster learning about it: s/he has to know it before s/he can offer sensible changes.

you're an idiot....."sensible changes" indeed....by a 6th grader that barely even knows the Constitution.....?

what you are actually seeing is lefist propaganda that seeks to instill the idea that changing the Constitution is a good thing...

Good assignment.........Great way to learn the impact of the bill of rights

Thew bill of rights are the culmination of 800 years of of Anglo-Saxton experience from the Magna Charta, and you think telling little children in a historical vacuum to omit parts of it is a "good assignment?"

Thew bill of rights are the culmination of 800 years of of Anglo-Saxton experience from the Magna Charta, and you think telling little children in a historical vacuum to omit parts of it is a "good assignment?"

It's an exercise. They are given a scenario and asked to back up their decisions with a cogent argument.

I wish I had exercises like this in school. In my day too much of school was rote memorization and regurgitation.

Great way to learn isn't it?

If you were in charge, what would you take out? what would you add?

Wouldn't you like to clarify the second amendment?
Why do we still need a third amendment?

Imagine mere "children" being expected to use their minds?

But no.....Conservatives need it taught like the ten commandments. Thou shall not question the founding fathers

It's an exercise. They are given a scenario and asked to back up their decisions with a cogent argument.

I wish I had exercises like this in school. In my day too much of school was rote memorization and regurgitation.

did you memorize or even know the Bill of Rights in the 6th grade....? i doubt it...

you can't have an intelligent "exercise" if you don't even know what you are talking about...

did you memorize or even know the Bill of Rights in the 6th grade....? i doubt it...

you can't have an intelligent "exercise" if you don't even know what you are talking about...

Memorizing isn't learning

Discussing the amendments and why we have them is learning. Want to eliminate the first amendment? Here are the consequences

Great assignment

You see, this is why you're...limited. You think it's more important for school kids to memorize the Bill of Rights rather than understand what they mean...and what might happen if they were removed.

Worksheet asks children to remove parts of the Bill of Rights (Includes interview)

Worksheet asks children to remove parts of the Bill of Rights!

A student in Bryant School District in Arkansas brought home a worksheet that presented her with a scenario that referred to the Bill of Rights as “outdated” and that as part of a special committee she would need to throw out two of the Amendments.
The worksheet was handed out to Sixth grade students in a History class. According to the girl’s mother, Lela Spears, she has not received any government or civics classes and this was the first assignment dealing with the Constitution or Bill of Rights. The school district is participating in the embattled Common Core curriculum.

1379669_645534145480842_877145441_n.jpg

Apparently you cannot read the graphic you attached. It plainly says the purpose of the exercise is to "ensure that our personal civil liberties and the pursuit of happiness remains guarded in the 21st century". The context of the exercise is that the Patriot Act is infringing on those rights and we need to beef them up.

It also clearly states "you will need to prioritize, prune, and ADD amendments". They are supposed to "prune two and add two amendments". I notice you only mentioned the pruning and not the adding. This is a textbook lie of omission. Perhaps you need to go back to school.

Last edited:
We need a new Bill of Rights - exactly like the "Bills of Rights" established by such great historical figures as Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin.

Don't believe me? OK, ask Comrade Obama!

I have to admit that I have no problem with this assignment. I think it would teach first of all what the Bill of Rights is and what it contains. Secondly, in being tasked to prioritize the rights, it would require that the student understand each of them and then make a decision which ones were least important.

I can understand where something like this could be misused, but that's like anything anymore. If the teacher didn't have a hidden agenda, this could be a good thing. Benefit of the doubt goes to the teacher and school district wanting to instruct on the Bill of Rights.

As you were...

you're an idiot....."sensible changes" indeed....by a 6th grader that barely even knows the Constitution.....?

what you are actually seeing is lefist propaganda that seeks to instill the idea that changing the Constitution is a good thing...

Grow up. Compare and contrast is an excellent pedagogical exercise. Students have teachers to keep them on the right track.

Learning about the Constitution is American values, not far right reactionary propaganda.

Memorizing isn't learning

Discussing the amendments and why we have them is learning. Want to eliminate the first amendment? Here are the consequences

Great assignment

fyi memorizing IS a form of learning...

i'm not saying that kids need to memorize the whole Bill of Rights......however i do think they should at least learn something about them before they start discussing how to change them...

kids today know practically zero about the basics of American civics and history....

The Constitution has been amended 27 times.

SCOTUS has opined thousands of times about it.

Stop your reactionary right wing propaganda.

I have to admit that I have no problem with this assignment. I think it would teach first of all what the Bill of Rights is and what it contains. Secondly, in being tasked to prioritize the rights, it would require that the student understand each of them and then make a decision which ones were least important.

I can understand where something like this could be misused, but that's like anything anymore. If the teacher didn't have a hidden agenda, this could be a good thing. Benefit of the doubt goes to the teacher and school district wanting to instruct on the Bill of Rights.

As you were...

evidently you don't understand the Common Core agenda....if i didn't then i would probably agree with you...

How dare a sixth grader question our Bill of Rights?

They are not even old enough to buy a gun yet

Last edited:

Grow up. Compare and contrast is an excellent pedagogical exercise. Students have teachers to keep them on the right track.

Learning about the Constitution is American values, not far right reactionary propaganda.

grow up yourself and face reality....today's students know jack....

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back