Company With Ties To Trump Receives Millions From Small Business Loan Program

This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.
i'd agree we need this type of oversight when handing out money. the issue is - how much and when it is too much and no longer a grant or loan but paying you to do something? i think most agree we need to be helping others. where it falls apart is by how much we should help. unfortunately since this is the government jacking with everyone, they get to pay. only THEY is US.

shake shack was lauded for giving back a $10mil loan. people went nuts. i read the story and saw they only did it *after* securing other funding. but here i'm torn. employment is employment. shake shack employs thousands, self employed, 1. where do you put your focus? this isn't to pick on anyone or say they don't deserve some help - not at all. just saying we have finite resources and not everyone who needs help, unfortunately, is going to get it.

this had to be done quick. i'd only really care *if* it was done TO GIVE his businesses the help and prioritized them over others. but given we've never been through this before, what process do you use to be "fair"? i'm betting pogos testicles there simply isn't a way TO be fair.

now to continue "to be fair" - i'm confident of that bet. its just a general rule to never gamble with your own genitalia.

where i agree with schiff is we need a post mortem. but ONLY IF that is done to learn. in a true "post mortem" there is no blame there is no assignment of responsibility. only where things broke down as a whole and as a whole how to improve and keep it from happening again. here is where i bet slades privates that schiff isn't about to do a true "post mortem" and is all out to attack.

again.

someone should kick him in the nuts.

again. and again. and again. he can put some of pelosis designer ice cream on them when done.
Agreed that an after action review does need to happen.... Each and every detail of the bailouts needs to be over with a fine toothed comb. Preferably by a non partisan entity, but I doubt there is such a thing in the time of President Trump.
It would be interesting to find out why a large part of the pork put into the stimulus was "necessary"
It would be interesting to see if claims of millions going out then went to various democratic campaign contributions.. To me that would be a big no no.
It would be interesting to see which of the companies that received loans really needed them or were they just hedging their collective bets?
Right now, there are so many loan applications filed and going through the process and by all news reports the fund is dry. It'll be interesting to see which small business' survive and which ones don't. I would hope the process to be fair, and the intent may have been for it to be so, but rarely is anything fair when politicians are involved.

Or Republican campaign donations.
How about political donations? Why just worry about the OTHER sides actions?

I have to think that mindset is why we are so dysfunctional.

Dude. I was replying to a post that specified only Democratic campaign donations. If you're going to go off on it, at least try to hit both sides.
Wow! "hit both sides"...That's ironic coming from you.
You would not know.
I've been reading your bullshit for a few years now...
You read? Novel idea that...
The fact that you think your brain works normally is scary.
Face it, you're a bleeding heart Liberal who knows no bounds of charity to those who haven't earned it.
Of course it would be scary to one who has never experienced normality. We won’t hold it against you.

This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.
Gee, nobody saw that coming when the blob fired the watch dog

How could he have fired someone he hadn't appointed yet?

True...he appointed his lawyer instead...how...convenient.

A lawyer was good enough for your dear leaders HINI response team, why not an IG who will be checking to see that the law was followed.

Lone Star...I am your mother's sister's nephew's former roommate

Well then Dark Helmet... what does that make us?

Absolutely nothing Lone Star...which is the exact factual content of this OP that links this loan to Trump .

:lol: you mean the op sounds a lot like most of what you guys post about Biden?

It is factual that family owning this business has strong ties to Trump. That's usually enough "fact" for the right.
I expect better from you. You're supposed to be one of the sane ones.

If you're telling me you're no better than the lowest political denominator I'll take you at your word...but that was not my prior position.

That is a fair point. Sometimes the low bar here gets to me and a slap is what I need.

My point here, really, is that this bill was poorly constructed. Everyone - Trump, Dem, and Republican - are influenced by lobbyists and I'm sure that allowed for the loose language in what is defined as a small business. In this area - trying to tighten it and impose greater oversight, the Dems were absolutely right. It's to bad they were unable to get more of what they wanted in that regard. As a result - the real small business' are getting crumbs, if anything at all. The second article I posted (from the same source) is even more damning and doesn't mention Trump.
Happens to me too...I get frustrated by the talking point wars.

Your one of the good ones...when I read your posts I take them under consideration...and you've changed my opinion in the past. You and Care4all Pogo Dr Grump g5000 bodecea sealybobo Seawytch jillian Toro... And a bunch of others... You guys give me an honest insight from the other side. :thup:

Trust me...we all need that.
honest insight form that group? other than coyote you just named off a lot of my ignore list. they don't talk issues, they tell you you're wrong. not saying others don't do that but i've likely got those people "ignored" also.

we certainly need honest insight but you won't find honesty from someone who's never been wrong.
Just because they think they're right doesn't mean they aren't being honest. I think I only have Mr Shaman on ignore...he had a posting style that just got on my last nerve.

If you honestly believe what you're saying...and not just regurgitating talking points to score political points..those are the folks I want to hear from...cuz I'm not always right...and we can both be right....from our own perspective.

The only two questions that should be asked in this thread is, were any laws were broken, and is anyone who might have a relationship with Trump a political figure?

Why?
Why should we be limited by laws being broke which effectively shuts down conversation about a badly written bill?

A badly written bill? Funny I didn't see anything about a badly written bill in your title. I guess that wasn't really the conversation you wanted to have, was it?

Did you read the OP?

Don’t bother to answer. You did not.

Actually I did, it didn't say anything about a badly written bill. I just said fewer than 1% of the loans exceeded 5 million. So what's your point?

A lawyer was good enough for your dear leaders HINI response team, why not an IG who will be checking to see that the law was followed.

What IG?

How much money was given out for a stimulus during H1N1?

Absolutely nothing Lone Star...which is the exact factual content of this OP that links this loan to Trump .

It is factual that family owning this business has strong ties to Trump. That's usually enough "fact" for the right.

If you're telling me you're no better than the lowest political denominator I'll take you at your word...but that was not my prior position.

That is a fair point. Sometimes the low bar here gets to me and a slap is what I need.

My point here, really, is that this bill was poorly constructed. Everyone - Trump, Dem, and Republican - are influenced by lobbyists and I'm sure that allowed for the loose language in what is defined as a small business. In this area - trying to tighten it and impose greater oversight, the Dems were absolutely right. It's to bad they were unable to get more of what they wanted in that regard. As a result - the real small business' are getting crumbs, if anything at all. The second article I posted (from the same source) is even more damning and doesn't mention Trump.

Your one of the good ones...when I read your posts I take them under consideration...and you've changed my opinion in the past. You and Care4all Pogo Dr Grump g5000 bodecea sealybobo Seawytch jillian Toro... And a bunch of others... You guys give me an honest insight from the other side. :thup:

honest insight form that group? other than coyote you just named off a lot of my ignore list. they don't talk issues, they tell you you're wrong. not saying others don't do that but i've likely got those people "ignored" also.

we certainly need honest insight but you won't find honesty from someone who's never been wrong.
Just because they think they're right doesn't mean they aren't being honest. I think I only have Mr Shaman on ignore...he had a posting style that just got on my last nerve.

If you honestly believe what you're saying...and not just regurgitating talking points to score political points..those are the folks I want to hear from...cuz I'm not always right...and we can both be right....from our own perspective.

The only two questions that should be asked in this thread is, were any laws were broken, and is anyone who might have a relationship with Trump a political figure?

Why?
Why should we be limited by laws being broke which effectively shuts down conversation about a badly written bill?

A badly written bill? Funny I didn't see anything about a badly written bill in your title. I guess that wasn't really the conversation you wanted to have, was it?

Did you read the OP?

Actually I did, it didn't say anything about a badly written bill. I just said fewer than 1% of the loans exceeded 5 million. So what's your point?

No. You did not.

This was my commentary (original content) part (at the beginning of the post):

It’s also why we need to vote Trump out of office this November.

What IG?

How much does a lawyer know about responding to an epidemic? From what I've heard they know quite a bit about the law.

And here is another interesting one (remember how Pruitt departed in a cloud of scandal?)...how does this qualify as a small business?

A coal company based in Indiana received $10 million from a federal loan program intended to rescue faltering small businesses from the economic ravages of the coronavirus pandemic.
But Hallador Energy has several hundred more employees than the standard firm awarded money under the $2 trillion stimulus bill. And it has at least two important ties to the Trump administration: Scott Pruitt, the former Environmental Protection Agency administrator, was hired last year to lobby for the publicly traded firm in Indiana; and the company’s former government relations director now works at the Energy Department.

What IG?

How much does a lawyer know about responding to an epidemic? From what I've heard they know quite a bit about the law.

Why?

Did you read the OP?

No. You did not.

Still don't see anything about a bad bill. Did you just pull that out of you a$$? BTW, if it was a bad bill you can blame palousey for not fixing it while she held it up for more than a week.

And here is another interesting one (remember how Pruitt departed in a cloud of scandal?)...how does this qualify as a small business?

A coal company based in Indiana received $10 million from a federal loan program intended to rescue faltering small businesses from the economic ravages of the coronavirus pandemic.
But Hallador Energy has several hundred more employees than the standard firm awarded money under the $2 trillion stimulus bill. And it has at least two important ties to the Trump administration: Scott Pruitt, the former Environmental Protection Agency administrator, was hired last year to lobby for the publicly traded firm in Indiana; and the company’s former government relations director now works at the Energy Department.

Were any laws broken? I guess those equal protections dictated in the 14th Amendment don't apply to political opponents. RIGHT???????????

Why?

Did you read the OP?

No. You did not.

Still don't see anything about a bad bill. Did you just pull that out of you a$$? BTW, if it was a bad bill you can blame palousey for not fixing it while she held it up for more than a week.

oh yes...blame it all on Pelosi. Nothing to do with the Republicans who refused to accept all the stricter requirements...or Trump who stated he didn’t need to abide by the requirement for independent oversight.

talk about pulling it out of your ass.

What IG?

What difference does that make, what does a lawyer know about epidemics? Your dear leader put one in charge of the H1N1 response. I'd say a lawyer would do a much better job as an IG.

Were any laws broken? I guess those equal protections dictated in the 14th Amendment don't apply to political opponents. RIGHT???????????

Well, not according to you given how you treated Biden.

What IG?

What difference does that make, what does a lawyer know about epidemics? Your dear leader put one in charge of the H1N1 response. I'd say a lawyer would do a much better job as an IG.

oh....just a two trillion dollar difference...that’s all...

yes, let’s put his personal lawyer in charge.

Why?

Did you read the OP?

No. You did not.

oh yes...blame it all on Pelosi. Nothing to do with the Republicans who refused to accept all the stricter requirements...or Trump who stated he didn’t need to abide by the requirement for independent oversight.

talk about pulling it out of your ass.

WOW, great deflection. You're the one who brought up a thoughtful discussion of a bad bill, now you seem to have abandon that thought. I can understand why since it wasn't brought up in your OP or your link. LMAO

From the article.
When asked, Ainsworth said the loan is not related to any political activities of company leaders, and he noted Ronald Gidwitz resigned when he was appointed ambassador.

Gidwitz was confirmed to the ambassadorship by the Senate by voice vote in June 2018. He announced his resignation from the company's board a few days later in July, according to company SEC filings.
FYI friends and family members of both Republicans and Democrats in both Congress and the President no matter who it is have benefited from there realtionship with them over the years.

Well, not according to you given how you treated Biden.

What does this have to do with comajoe? It's you folks that seem to have a double standard where he's concerned.

Forum List

Back