Compassionate care medications.

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
In certain situations, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows companies to provide their experimental drugs to people outside of clinical trials. This is referred to as compassionate use. But getting access to not-yet-approved drugs through a compassionate use request can be a long and challenging process.

If you're interested in trying an experimental treatment, talk to your doctor about your options. For you to receive an experimental drug through the compassionate use program, your doctor must contact the drug company and then submit an application to the FDA. For the FDA to consider your request, you must meet certain criteria:

• Your disease is serious or immediately life-threatening.
  • No treatment is available or you haven't been helped by approved treatments for your disease.
  • You aren't eligible for clinical trials of the experimental drug.
  • Your doctor agrees that you have no other options and the experimental treatment may help you.
  • Your doctor feels the benefit justifies the potential risks of the treatment.
  • The company that makes the drug agrees to provide it to you.
To find out more about the rules regarding compassionate use, visit the FDA website and search for "access to investigational drugs."

“Medicare doesn’t pay for experimental drugs,” Holley Thames Lutz, an attorney who specializes in Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement as well as clinical research issues, told Bloomberg Law. Medicare will pay for certain off-label uses of a drug the Food and Drug Administration already has cleared for the market, but “even things that are approved by the FDA, Medicare doesn’t always pay for right away.”

On right-to-try coverage, “Medicare’s gone about as far as it’s going to go, and I don’t see how it’s going to be covered,” said Lutz, who works in Dentons’ Washington office. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services is the single largest payer for health care in the U.S., and their policies can drive coverage decisions across the health-care system.

What’s less clear is whether either public or private insurers will pay for any care associated with administering the experimental treatment, such as doctor’s visits or hospital stays. Medicare patients enrolled in qualifying clinical trials will be covered for any treatments they would have received anyway under standard care, but Medicare won’t pay for the investigational drug or device itself, under its clinical trials

-------------------------------------
I really doubt if tramp set himself up to be a guinea pig.

Saying that, I believe in compassionate care meds for the dying, and no treatment, that does not include o2 to keep a patient comfortable, mouth swabs and ice chips, and a NG tube.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that's it's hard to get the medication.

Wow, if I remember correctly, you couldn't get them before Trump got legislation passed so you could.

So what you're saying is that's it's hard to get the medication.

Wow, if I remember correctly, you couldn't get them before Trump got legislation passed so you could.

and they are not paid for, and they might go by income with coupons, you didn't read the article.

Last edited:
When it comes to C19, the financial politics is already built in, though Trump has just done something about experimental drugs becoming post-experimental drugs with lowered prices.

Veklury (remdesivir) Now Available Directly from Distributor following Trump Administration’s Successful Allocations to States and U.S. Territories
Beginning October 1, 2020, American hospitals can purchase Veklury (remdesivir) directly from the drug’s distributor. Veklury is an antiviral drug currently authorized for emergency use by healthcare providers to treat hospitalized adult and pediatric patients with suspected or laboratory-confirmed COVID-19. Over the past five months, the U.S. government has overseen the allocation and distribution of Veklury due to drug’s limited supply to ensure fair and equitable distribution to COVID-19 patients.

When it comes to C19, the financial politics is already built in, though Trump has just done something about experimental drugs becoming post-experimental drugs with lowered prices.
It reportedly would have applied only to drugs covered by Medicare Part B ― those that patients receive at their doctors’ offices, such as infused cancer drugs ― but not those purchased at the pharmacy counter. Drug companies criticized the executive order, and the Trump administration offered to consider an alternative plan if the firms offered it by Aug. 24. So far, the industry has not made a counter offer.
---------------------------------------
It remains to be seen.

I'm all for you taking morphene free of charge and gradually increasing the dose over time. In fact I'll personally pitch in and pay for it. Is that compassionate enough?

Forum List

Back