ConfederatE Flag to be raised in Virgini

Union Major General Joshua Chamberlain, on the 'Furling of the Flags' at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, on April 12, 1865...

".....The momentous meaning of this occasion impressed me deeply. I resolved to mark it by some token of recognition, which could be no other than a salute of arms. Well aware of the responsibility assumed, and of the criticisms that would follow, as the sequel proved, nothing of that kind could move me in the least. The act could be defended, if needful, by the suggestion that such a salute was not to the cause for which the flag of the Confederacy stood, but to its going down before the flag of the Union.

My main reason, however, was one for which I sought no authority nor asked forgiveness. Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;--was not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured?

Instructions had been given; and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment in succession, gives the soldiers salutation, from the "order arms" to the old "carry"--the marching salute.

Gordon at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and. downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and, taking the meaning, wheels superbly, making with himself and his horse one uplifted figure, with profound salutation as he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing to his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual,--honor answering honor. On our part not a sound of trumpet more, nor roll of drum; not a cheer, nor word nor whisper of vain-glorying, nor motion of man standing again at the order, but an awed stillness rather, and breath-holding, as if it were the passing of the dead!

As each successive division masks our own, it halts, the men face inward towards us across the road, twelve feet away; then carefully "dress" their line, each captain taking pains for the good appearance of his company, worn and half starved as they were. The field and staff take their positions in the intervals of regiments; generals in rear of their commands. They fix bayonets, stack arms; then, hesitatingly, remove cartridge-boxes and lay them down. Lastly,-- reluctantly, with agony of expression,--they tenderly fold their flags, battle-worn and torn, blood-stained, heart-holding colors, and lay them down; some frenziedly rushing from the ranks, kneeling over them, clinging to them, pressing them to their lips with burning tears. And only the Flag of the Union greets the sky!...
"

saluteofhonor.jpg

Honor answering honor.

Let those who wish to remember their Southern Civil War heritage in this way, do so in peace, as Americans.

Chamberlain, like Lincoln, knew to do as much even in their own time, when the wounds were still fresh, and no doubt would have approved of allowing their descendants to do the same.

What-the-hell is wrong with us? Lighten up. Let 'em be.

Last edited:
^ Old Glory is faaaaaar more a symbol of rebellion against tyranny

Old Glory flew over slavery a heck of a lot longer than the confederate flag.

[MENTION=13805]Againsheila[/MENTION]

Fair enough. But the confederate flag was created in part because Old Glory didn't support slavery quite enough :cool:

On the contrary.

After the Southern states seceded and before the Battle of Fort Sumter, the North was wanting Southern tariff money back so badly that they offered the Corwin Amendment to the Constitution promising never to interefere with slavery if the Southern states would come back. If you'll read Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, you'll find that he supported the Corwin Amendment.

Yep, it's 2013 and it's on private property and I have no problem with them doing it. For the record, I'm from Virginia and certainly not of a pro-Confederate mindset. Unless it's in violation of some local statute, it's their First Amendment right to do so. Much adieu about nothing really. I see Confederate flags and Robert E. Lee license plates almost everyday.

Somebody has an exact replica of the General Lee charger from The Dukes of Hazzard in town because I see it every Saturday when I take my boy to school. It looks exactly like the one from the old TV show, but we are really far from Georgia.

Another manifestation of your mental defect is in assuming the rest of the world is as bat-shit crazy as you, psycho.

Simple minds, yours in the case, always attempt to slander those they hate with charges of mental incompetence. You need better insults. And please, stop humping my leg, you're giving me a rash.

Confederate flag is a flag of a foreign country, and a flag of treason against The Republic.

But you do agree that it's their First Amendment right to do so on private property, just like it's your First Amendment right to speak out against it, right?

how do you feel about someone flying the flag of Al Qaeda on their lawn?

But you do agree that it's their First Amendment right to do so on private property, just like it's your First Amendment right to speak out against it, right?

how do you feel about someone flying the flag of Al Qaeda on their lawn?

I would think that it was tasteless and reprehensible, but if it was on private property and barring any local codes or statutes prohibiting it, I would still think that it's their First Amendment right to do so. If there was a law passed barring the flying of the Confederate flag, I would be opposed to it, because all that does is lead to a "slippery slope" in my opinion. See if they can bar them from doing it, they can suddenly bar you from flying something you approve of. No thanks!

:mad:IDK I'm from CT, I'm more concerned with getting the guy with the stars and bars license plate on his pick up to fix his fucking muffler. WTF, dude should be embarassed to sound like that:mad:

Forum List

Back