🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Congressman With Massive Debts Argues Federal Government Must Have Balanced Budget

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
A Republican Congressman on the House Budget Committee whose car dealership has at least $2.5 million in debts insisted on Wednesday that companies and individuals must balance their budgets “every single day.” The comments came during a day-long hearing about Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-WI) spending plan, which achieves balance within 10 years.

“I’m a small business owner,” Rep. Roger Williams (R-TX), began. “I have owned and operated my business for over 41 years and I still operate it,” he said, before linking the government’s budget to the financial well-being of families and businesses and suggesting that the federal books should resemble the practices of every day Americans:

WILLIAMS: We have to have a balanced budget. I have to balance my budget. Everybody in America has to balance their family’s budget or their business’ budget, not every ten years, not even every single year, but every single day…. If we apply the same principals in families and businesses use every single day we will ensure that America’s best days are ahead and we will stay the most powerful country militarily and economically.

Congressman With Massive Debts Argues Federal Government Must Have Balanced Budget | ThinkProgress

A Republican Congressman on the House Budget Committee whose car dealership has at least $2.5 million in debts insisted on Wednesday that companies and individuals must balance their budgets “every single day.” The comments came during a day-long hearing about Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-WI) spending plan, which achieves balance within 10 years.

“I’m a small business owner,” Rep. Roger Williams (R-TX), began. “I have owned and operated my business for over 41 years and I still operate it,” he said, before linking the government’s budget to the financial well-being of families and businesses and suggesting that the federal books should resemble the practices of every day Americans:

WILLIAMS: We have to have a balanced budget. I have to balance my budget. Everybody in America has to balance their family’s budget or their business’ budget, not every ten years, not even every single year, but every single day…. If we apply the same principals in families and businesses use every single day we will ensure that America’s best days are ahead and we will stay the most powerful country militarily and economically.

Congressman With Massive Debts Argues Federal Government Must Have Balanced Budget | ThinkProgress

$2.5 million is not a lot of debt for a car dealership. Man businesses have to borrow money to operate. Just about every farmer in America is in hock up to his eyebrows. They borrow money to pay their expenses until the next crop comes in.

This is the lamest attack on Republicans I've ever seen. Furthermore, what are you trying to prove, that it's OK for Congress to spend like there's no tomorrow?

$2.5 million is not a lot of debt for a car dealership. Man businesses have to borrow money to operate. Just about every farmer in America is in hock up to his eyebrows. They borrow money to pay their expenses until the next crop comes in.

This is the lamest attack on Republicans I've ever seen. Furthermore, what are you trying to prove, that it's OK for Congress to spend like there's no tomorrow?

Do you know how stupid you look trying to defend this guy? :cuckoo:

I don't look stupid at all. On the other hand, you look like a moron for trying to attack the entire Republican party of the way one member finances his business.

2.5 mil in debt for a car dealership is indeed not much at all.. look at the inventory cost of a dealership with say 300-400 on the lot

But what do you expect from a winger posting a link to a winger site???

This is a silly attack on a businessman who runs a normal business, which means often there is an imbalance in money. No different with our family business in several states. Always paid our debts on time, paid our employees on time, paid ourselves on time. Why? We know how to manage money. I am now retired and my brothers are doing fine, except they want to retire also to golf and bass fish. They can when they reach agreed upon retirement age, just like I and one of our cousins.

Stupid OP. Fail.

Listing the debt by itself is meaningless, and doesn't have a damned thing to do with balancing a budget.

Liabilities are only one half of a balance sheet (nothing to do with budgeting) and are compared against assets. The difference is your equity in the business.

Your post is a good indication of Think Progress's belief that their readers are low information voters. They know their arguement is meaningless. You didn't.

Forum List

Back