Coriolis effect drives climate

At the equator ... the speed at any latitude is 1,037 mph multiplied by the cosine of latitude ... thus in my example 1037 mph (cos 45º) = 1037 mph x 0.717 = 733 mph ...

The cosine of 90º is zero ... we don't move through space at the poles ... stationary in place but we are rotating ...
Yes and thank you for having worked it out.

Idk, but it was awfully cool and dry in FL today..in June, and that's not really typical, at all.

Right now there should be a certain street where kids are skimboarding down the middle of it because of rain and the water level is just right.

Idk, but it was awfully cool and dry in FL today..in June, and that's not really typical, at all.

Right now there should be a certain street where kids are skimboarding down the middle of it right now.
It is only 70 here at 8:17 pm. We must be 25 degrees too cool.

we don't move through space at the poles ... stationary in place but we are rotating ...
So, why don't we fall into the sun? And when will the Milky Way collapse? And the Local Group? And the Laniakea Supercluster?

So, why don't we fall into the sun? And when will the Milky Way collapse? And the Local Group? And the Laniakea Supercluster?

We do ... and it is ... didn't you buy a basic physics textbook? .. now you need to read it ... gravity is an acceleration, stupid, the Earth and Moon are falling into the Sun ...

Oh I'm sorry, more college science ... I know you hate that ...

We do ... and it is ... didn't you buy a basic physics textbook? .. now you need to read it ... gravity is an acceleration, stupid, the Earth and Moon are falling into the Sun ...

Oh I'm sorry, more college science ... I know you hate that ...
I was just tweaking you for saying the poles didn't move in space.

I was just tweaking you for saying the poles didn't move in space.

They don't from the stated frame-of-reference ... the poles are stationary, it is the Sun that moves up-and-down the sky ... the Earth is in a Keplerian orbit around the Sun, you are not ... both the Coriolis force and pressure gradient force come about because of this fact ...

Are you observing Coriolis force form this reference? ... and how are you developing curl and torque? ...

They don't from the stated frame-of-reference ... the poles are stationary, it is the Sun that moves up-and-down the sky ... the Earth is in a Keplerian orbit around the Sun, you are not ... both the Coriolis force and pressure gradient force come about because of this fact ...

Are you observing Coriolis force form this reference? ... and how are you developing curl and torque? ...
What is the intent of your discussion with Robert re Coriolis and reference frames? Do you think he's following you? Because I don't think he's got a clue what a reference frame is and all it looks like you're doing is trying to show off.

Last edited:
What is the intent of your discussion with Robert re Coriolis and reference frames? Do you think he's following you? Because I don't think he's got a clue what a reference frame is and all it looks like you're doing is trying to show off.

So why are you participating? ... Robert's smarter than you ... he can learn ... you don't learn and don't want to ... so you should ignore all my posts ...

One calls their own judgement, one way or another ... it is only YOU who tries to show off ... and that's why it comes to you to accuse others of such without evidence ... it's not you're transparent, it's that you're so shallow ... no thought behind your posts, just repeating spew that you don't understand ...

Convert Celsius to Fahrenheit for us, we need a good laugh right now ...

We have engineers here posting who do not agree with you. Why weren't you ever skeptical? Above you act skeptical by asking silly questions.

So why are you participating? ... Robert's smarter than you ... he can learn ...
What do you believe Robert has learned from your Coriolis discussions?
you don't learn and don't want to ... so you should ignore all my posts ...
I'm still waiting for you to tell us something I don't already know or that I don't know to be false.
it is only YOU who tries to show off ...
Only me? Not elektra? Ding?
and that's why it comes to you to accuse others of such without evidence ...
You're making a bigger thing of this than necessary. But the evidence, as I think I made clear, was your succession of posts discussing Coriolis and motion in terms that you have no reason whatsoever to believe Robert would understand or that in any way addressed his contention that Lindzen was claiming the Coriolis Effect was responsible for climate change vice AGW.
it's not you're transparent, it's that you're so shallow ... no thought behind your posts, just repeating spew that you don't understand ...
So, you think peer reviewed science is "spew"?
Convert Celsius to Fahrenheit for us, we need a good laugh right now ...
I don't actually know any C -> F jokes, but I found this one with a quick search:

An old lady sits on the bench and is swearing so badly, her son comes to her and asks her:
"Why are you swearing so much?!
Then the old lady says: "Sit down and I will tell you."
Her son sits down and the old lady whispers something to him.
Her son starts swearing too.
Then both start swearing.
The old lady's daughter comes and asks: "Why are you two swearing so badly?"
The son says: "Sit down and I will tell you."
The daughter sits down and her brother says:
"The bench is fresh painted"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back