Could it be that MAGA wants to see the US default?

The MAGA rubes have no idea what this means, short term or long term:

All they care about is owning the libs, no matter what the damage.

The MAGA rubes have no idea what this means, short term or long term:

All they care about is owning the libs, no matter what the damage.
I’m beginning to believe the damage is the goal.
The thinking that caused 1/6 has not changed. Just the target.

McCarthy, unfortunately, is the wild card here. I want to believe that he is informed, intelligent, and cogent enough to override his craven political ambitions and able to pull back from the brink. The problem is, damage has already been done from a global macroeconomic perspective.

I want to believe he'll do the right thing. But I don't know.

McCarthy isn't the problem; it's the MAGA wing and his weak position as Speaker that is the real concern.

I don't pretend to have a crystal ball, but the way it looks like it's shaping up is that McCarthy appears to be forcing Biden to make some concessions he didn't want to make, which is good for McCarthy and bad for Biden. But both will walk away hoping that they can sell their parties on the idea that they've avoided the worst of all nightmares: a US treasury account that's dead broke.

So McCarthy goes to his caucus and Biden goes to his. Biden's won't be happy because they will feel like some of their legislative gains will have been reworked and watered down, and there's a real risk that some of them will threaten to vote against whatever they decide.

But at the end of the day, there's a party leadership structure in the Democratic party that will put a lot of pressure on their members to sign on. They've got control of the Senate. They have only a 5-seat deficit in the House - easily winnable in 2024. And the have the WH, which they desperately want/need to hang onto. Progressives will warn about bumming out their young voters but they won't want to be the ones who blow everything up. They didn't run on a fuck Washington, burn it all down agenda.

I think the GOP's a different story. To be fair, probably most of the House GOP would eventually go along with McCarthy's deal because they'd recognize that McCarthy is probably scoring a win here. He forced Biden to capitulate and make a deal he didn't want to make. He's cutting spending. There will likely be future opportunities to force similar capitulations in the future. The smart members of the GOP will get it and be satisfied with it.

But there are some dim bulbs like MTG, Boebert, and a few others who are insanely fucking stupid and they may not get it. And they may be hearing from random people and their voters that the thing to do here to kill Biden's chances is to go big and go bold and force a default by demanding more spending cuts. If so, that puts McCarthy in a really bad position. Suddenly, his win now becomes a battle for his political life. That's the concern.

Maybe he can convince the MAGA crazies to pull their punches and wait til next time. I don't know. I think it's really 50/50 at this point.

McCarthy isn't the problem; it's the MAGA wing and his weak position as Speaker that is the real concern.

I don't pretend to have a crystal ball, but the way it looks like it's shaping up is that McCarthy appears to be forcing Biden to make some concessions he didn't want to make, which is good for McCarthy and bad for Biden. But both will walk away hoping that they can sell their parties on the idea that they've avoided the worst of all nightmares: a US treasury account that's dead broke.

So McCarthy goes to his caucus and Biden goes to his. Biden's won't be happy because they will feel like some of their legislative gains will have been reworked and watered down, and there's a real risk that some of them will threaten to vote against whatever they decide.

But at the end of the day, there's a party leadership structure in the Democratic party that will put a lot of pressure on their members to sign on. They've got control of the Senate. They have only a 5-seat deficit in the House - easily winnable in 2024. And the have the WH, which they desperately want/need to hang onto. Progressives will warn about bumming out their young voters but they won't want to be the ones who blow everything up. They didn't run on a fuck Washington, burn it all down agenda.

I think the GOP's a different story. To be fair, probably most of the House GOP would eventually go along with McCarthy's deal because they'd recognize that McCarthy is probably scoring a win here. He forced Biden to capitulate and make a deal he didn't want to make. He's cutting spending. There will likely be future opportunities to force similar capitulations in the future. The smart members of the GOP will get it and be satisfied with it.

But there are some dim bulbs like MTG, Boebert, and a few others who are insanely fucking stupid and they may not get it. And they may be hearing from random people and their voters that the thing to do here to kill Biden's chances is to go big and go bold and force a default by demanding more spending cuts. If so, that puts McCarthy in a really bad position. Suddenly, his win now becomes a battle for his political life. That's the concern.

Maybe he can convince the MAGA crazies to pull their punches and wait til next time. I don't know. I think it's really 50/50 at this point.
Yeah, who knows what McCarthy's keepers will require.

As crazed and ignorant as they are, anything can happen.

Forum List

Back