Cow Fart Regulations Approved By California’s Legislature

I read about some farms that have added digesters for methane collection in other states. It was voluntary and I think they received subsidies for the equipment. In the case of at least one farm that used the methane to provide electricity, they also income from that.

I don't know how it will work in this California instance from the OP.
Apparently you really dont grasp the core of what the objection is about.

To wrangle over the question of whether more methane comes from shit or farts is beside the point. Cows shit, just like people do and introducing regulations on how much cows can shit based on the conflated concerns of a problem that does not exist is tyrannical, unneeded and harmful to the financial future of agricultural workers and owners.

If you think it is OK for the government to regulate how much cows shit and fart, why do you think that they cannot eventually do that with human beings for the same vaunted reasons?

I think it is you who doesn't understand.

This isn't about regulating how much cows shit or fart. It is about regulating methane emissions, per the OP article. In other words, the cows will shit and fart the same as before, but the farmers will need some sort of system to collect the methane and keep it from simply entering the atmosphere.

The article also says that the legislation calls for more composting of food waste to keep it from going to landfills and causing the same issue.

If your problem with the legislation is that you think it tries to regulate how much cows fart or shit, be happy. At least according to the limited information in the article, it does not do that.

I read about some farms that have added digesters for methane collection in other states. It was voluntary and I think they received subsidies for the equipment. In the case of at least one farm that used the methane to provide electricity, they also income from that.

To wrangle over the question of whether more methane comes from shit or farts is beside the point. Cows shit, just like people do and introducing regulations on how much cows can shit based on the conflated concerns of a problem that does not exist is tyrannical, unneeded and harmful to the financial future of agricultural workers and owners.

If you think it is OK for the government to regulate how much cows shit and fart, why do you think that they cannot eventually do that with human beings for the same vaunted reasons?

Nobody is trying to regulate how much waste a cow produces. Only the way it is stored. Farmers do have to do that already. and not because of any laws or regulations. It's just a byproduct of having cows. The California law is just to see that it is stored in a less harmful way.

Nobody is trying to regulate how much waste a cow produces. Only the way it is stored. Farmers do have to do that already. and not because of any laws or regulations. It's just a byproduct of having cows. The California law is just to see that it is stored in a less harmful way.
How much harm is it doing?

Methane is 100x more dangerous a Greenhouse gas than CO2.

There are gases even more regulated than Methane as a greenhouse gas, that are as high as 24,000x more potent than CO2.

Do you think we should dump tons of those gasses into the atmosphere?

If you are as dumb as you present yourself to be, how is it that autonomous functions properly function with you? :dunno:

I guess the Democratic Party really is full of shit......

SACRAMENTO (AP) — California’s Legislature has approved regulations on cow flatulence and manure – both blamed for releasing greenhouse gases.

The measure was approved shortly before the end of the legislative session Wednesday after its author, Democratic Senator Ricardo Lara of Bell Gardens, agreed to give dairy farms more time to comply.

The legislation seeks to reduce methane emissions associated with manure to 40 percent below their 2013 levels by 2030. Methane is one of several gases known as short-lived climate pollutants that don’t persist for long in the atmosphere but have a huge influence on the climate.

Cow Fart Regulations Approved By California's Legislature

The bottom line is if you're unlucky enough to be a business owner in California pack up and get out like thousands have done before you. The mental patients in Sacramento will keep doing everything they can to see to it you fail.

What is your specific issue with the specifics of the regulations?

You just seem to be making a lot of overgeneralized statements about California, a place you can't afford to live.

The bottom line is if you're unlucky enough to be a business owner in California pack up and get out like thousands have done before you. The mental patients in Sacramento will keep doing everything they can to see to it you fail.

The headline is funny, and sounds pretty dumb, but what's so bad about limiting runoff from a substance that is clearly harmful to the environment? All cattle facilities constantly deal with storage and management of manure as part of normal operations, so what's so bad about doing it in a way that won't increase runoff after every rain? It's not like they are trying to prevent cows from farting in the pasture as was implied by the link title. .
Well, it says:

"The legislation seeks to reduce methane emissions associated with manure to 40 percent below their 2013 levels by 2030."

...otherwise known as farts. How do you propose it's done, stick a catalytic converter up their ass? The only way you can do it is the reduce your herd. Then they can keep upping the ante until cows are all but outlawed. Then maybe outlaw beef products, it wouldn't surprise me.

The article is light on details, but as I understand it this is about manure, not farts. Sounds like a silly conversation, sure. However, apparently there is a lot of methane which comes from the normal breakdown of manure. Some farms have started using something called a digester to capture the methane from manure and use it for electricity. For example : http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/business/businessspecial2/24farmers.html

The title of the OP article seems misleading. :dunno:
No, it's about methane....not manure....

Methane which is a byproduct of the breakdown of manure.
Amongst many other things with manure being a relatively insignificant source....of methane, the focus of the law....

Well, it says:

"The legislation seeks to reduce methane emissions associated with manure to 40 percent below their 2013 levels by 2030."

...otherwise known as farts. How do you propose it's done, stick a catalytic converter up their ass? The only way you can do it is the reduce your herd. Then they can keep upping the ante until cows are all but outlawed. Then maybe outlaw beef products, it wouldn't surprise me.

Great quantities of methane are released from stored manure. There is a continuous release until it is completely dried. If you didn't already know this, you are pretty dumb. If you did, you're a troll. Either way, your remarks are childish, and deserve no more evaluation.
It get used for fertilizer. Fertilizer makes food grow. Your puss filled brain requires no further evaluation.

I'm pretty sure at least one article I looked at mentioned that the manure can still be used as fertilizer after being put through a digester to get the methane. Here's just a search link for articles about methane from manure : methane from manure at DuckDuckGo

I'm not commenting on whether the legislation is a good idea. I haven't seen exactly what is involved and it may well be overly intrusive. I'm just pointing out that this issue appears to be not about cow farts but about the methane released from manure.
The problem I have is:
A. They can't tell you how much it's effecting the climate of the Earth if at all.
B. It's going to be expensive, maybe very expensive for the farmers.

They'll either go broke or have to pass the costs on if they can sell at market price, maybe even have to compete with China.

The methane generated is not enough to sustain the process on a local level....it's a tremendous burden on the farmers....

The headline is funny, and sounds pretty dumb, but what's so bad about limiting runoff from a substance that is clearly harmful to the environment? All cattle facilities constantly deal with storage and management of manure as part of normal operations, so what's so bad about doing it in a way that won't increase runoff after every rain? It's not like they are trying to prevent cows from farting in the pasture as was implied by the link title. .
Well, it says:

Great quantities of methane are released from stored manure. There is a continuous release until it is completely dried. If you didn't already know this, you are pretty dumb. If you did, you're a troll. Either way, your remarks are childish, and deserve no more evaluation.
It get used for fertilizer. Fertilizer makes food grow. Your puss filled brain requires no further evaluation.

I'm pretty sure at least one article I looked at mentioned that the manure can still be used as fertilizer after being put through a digester to get the methane. Here's just a search link for articles about methane from manure : methane from manure at DuckDuckGo

I'm not commenting on whether the legislation is a good idea. I haven't seen exactly what is involved and it may well be overly intrusive. I'm just pointing out that this issue appears to be not about cow farts but about the methane released from manure.
The residual from digestion is 'ash' and is typically worthless as a fertilizer and is land filled or land applied for disposal purposes only....

California crams 50 million people into high density pollution factory cities but its the dairy farmers causing the problem? Riiiiiight /eyeroll

This isn't about regulating how much cows shit or fart. It is about regulating methane emissions, per the OP article. In other words, the cows will shit and fart the same as before, but the farmers will need some sort of system to collect the methane and keep it from simply entering the atmosphere.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
California democrats are crushing farmers and farming for no good reason....it's sad....

California democrats are crushing farmers and farming for no good reason....it's sad....
They are doing it for political reasons as farmers tend to be Republican these days, and they want to emasculate farmers political power and ability to represent their interests.

If the Democrats thought that there was any advantage to them to protect farmers then they would do it.

Right now they want to run them out of the state so they can bring in immigrant farmers under corporate ownership.

Well, it says:

The article is light on details, but as I understand it this is about manure, not farts. Sounds like a silly conversation, sure. However, apparently there is a lot of methane which comes from the normal breakdown of manure. Some farms have started using something called a digester to capture the methane from manure and use it for electricity. For example : http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/business/businessspecial2/24farmers.html

Amongst many other things with manure being a relatively insignificant source....of methane, the focus of the law....

The bill from the OP also deals with landfills, which the EPA lists as being a fairly big factor in methane emissions. In all, for 2014, the EPA listed manure management and landfills as 28% of methane emissions. Overview of Greenhouse Gases | Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions | US EPA

Enteric Fermentation would be the belching and farting of the animals producing methane, I believe.

Manure certainly seems to be far from the biggest contributor.

The article in the OP only mentions manure and landfills with any sort of specifics. I don't know if there are also any new regulations regarding the methane from belching and farting of livestock.

I looked it up and believe this is the actual bill in question. Bill Text - SB-1383 Short-lived climate pollutants: methane emissions: dairy and livestock: organic waste: landfills.

Seeing the actual bill might clarify just what it does and how good or bad it may be.

giphy.gif

Was there something about my statement you feel is incorrect? Or did you plan to just post a little gif and not actually explain yourself?

I've already given some examples of how methane from manure might be lessened without any 'regulating how much cows shit'. I've also pointed out the bill deals with landfills, as well, which are apparently a fairly good chunk of methane emissions.

Well, it says:

The bill from the OP also deals with landfills, which the EPA lists as being a fairly big factor in methane emissions. In all, for 2014, the EPA listed manure management and landfills as 28% of methane emissions. Overview of Greenhouse Gases | Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions | US EPA

Enteric Fermentation would be the belching and farting of the animals producing methane, I believe.

The article in the OP only mentions manure and landfills with any sort of specifics. I don't know if there are also any new regulations regarding the methane from belching and farting of livestock.

I looked it up and believe this is the actual bill in question. Bill Text - SB-1383 Short-lived climate pollutants: methane emissions: dairy and livestock: organic waste: landfills.

Seeing the actual bill might clarify just what it does and how good or bad it may be.
The bill is an 'inch-mile' type democrat scheme....it's is just the beginning of the punishment of farmers, for no legitimate reason....

I went to the EPA link and downloaded a funny piece of propaganda....

image.png

Can you tell us why this piece of propaganda is so funny? And, to be fair, there are two specific reasons it's funny....this is why I say California is punishing farmers for no legitimate reason.....

Obama has wanted to reduce cow methane for years, but keeps getting pushback.

The bill is an 'inch-mile' type democrat scheme....it's is just the beginning of the punishment of farmers, for no legitimate reason....

I went to the EPA link and downloaded a funny piece of propaganda....

View attachment 89347

Can you tell us why this piece of propaganda is so funny? And, to be fair, there are two specific reasons it's funny....this is why I say California is punishing farmers for no legitimate reason.....

I wouldn't say no reason, nor do I know just how much farmers would be 'punished' by the bill. I suppose it depends on the costs in both money and effort involved.

However, I read an article which stated that, in the year discussed (I think it was 2008), the methane emissions would cause about half as much warming as the CO2. While there may be a lot less methane put into the atmosphere, apparently it is a much greater trapper of heat than CO2.

If you look at the EPA link I put in my previous post, there is this quote, "Methane's lifetime in the atmosphere is much shorter than carbon dioxide (CO2), but CH4 is more efficient at trapping radiation than CO2. Pound for pound, the comparative impact of CH4 on climate change is more than 25 times greater than CO2 over a 100-year period." So while methane may be only 11% of the greenhouse gasses emitted, it may have a greater impact than that percentage would indicate.

Again, I'm not trying to say this is a good bill, or even argue climate change or the effect of greenhouse gasses. I wouldn't simply dismiss the impact of methane based on its lower percentage compared to CO2, though.

I don't know why else you might have considered that graph funny. :dunno:

How much harm is it doing?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/04/b...-dairy-is-affecting-the-environment.html?_r=0

Methane is 100x more dangerous a Greenhouse gas than CO2.

There are gases even more regulated than Methane as a greenhouse gas, that are as high as 24,000x more potent than CO2.

Do you think we should dump tons of those gasses into the atmosphere?
Then commit suicide and help mother earth.

Forum List

Back