Cremation, or not?

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
I am going to have a Tree Burial, in other words my ashes will be buried in a Bios Urn with a tree seed and then I will become a tree. :biggrin:
This Awesome Urn Will Turn You into a Tree After You Die Big Think
The directions are already in my Living Will.
Edit; Oh,,and I don't want a funeral, just a Wake with all my favorite tunes. More of a celebration of my life. I hate funerals and I don't want any part of one. Hmmmm. That way I won't be late to my own funeral, but then will I still be "the late"?:confused-84:

Last edited:
I have now been to two funerals in the last 7 weeks where a loved one was cremated.

Both were very, very sad events.

In the case of the death of my brother-in-law, the memorial service (open casket) was on a Saturday; the ashes were given over to my sister on the Thursday following. In many ways, the Thursday was even harder for her.
We literally relived the funeral all over again on that Thursday.

In Germany, three weeks ago, I went to a funeral for someone whom I cared about deeply. She was also cremated, but before the memorial and immediately after the memorial service, the urn was placed in a sort of family crypt.

My experience from there two funerals is that in the case of cremation, when the remains are sent home, it is as if one goes through a funeral all over again. No real sense of closure.

But in the case of a funeral where the urn is buried, for instance, in a crypt, there is indeed closure.

These events have given me pause as to how I want to be buried when my time comes, hopefully, first in many years from now.

What are your thoughts about cremation? Closure, or no closure?

There are no political overtones at all in this OP and probably just as few religious overtones, just to note.
Jews don't get cremated or embalmed

I'm for cremation, but against open caskets.

Please explain why.
I just don't like displaying the corpse. Better to cremate and hold a memorial service.

I think what I was trying to say was that for families where the urn comes home to rest instead of being buried somewhere, I find no real closure. That is the jist of what I wanted to get across with the OP, from my perspective.

I have now been to two funerals in the last 7 weeks where a loved one was cremated.

In the case of the death of my brother-in-law, the memorial service (open casket) was on a Saturday; the ashes were given over to my sister on the Thursday following. In many ways, the Thursday was even harder for her.

In Germany, three weeks ago, I went to a funeral for someone whom I cared about deeply. She was also cremated, but before the memorial and immediately after the memorial service, the urn was placed in a sort of family crypt.

My experience from there two funerals is that in the case of cremation, when the remains are sent home, it is as if one goes through a funeral all over again. No real sense of closure.

But in the case of a funeral where the urn is buried, for instance, in a crypt, there is indeed closure.

These events have given me pause as to how I want to be buried when my time comes, hopefully, first in many years from now.

There are no political overtones at all in this OP and probably just as few religious overtones, just to note.
Jews don't get cremated or embalmed

My BIL was a Christian, not a Jew.

But yes, in Judaism, cremation is frowned upon, and yet, there are Liberal Jews who do it.
That being said, I don't want this to start to take a political turn.

I'm for cremation, but against open caskets.

Please explain why.
I just don't like displaying the corpse. Better to cremate and hold a memorial service.

I think what I was trying to say was that for families where the urn comes home to rest instead of being buried somewhere, I find no real closure. That is the jist of what I wanted to get across with the OP, from my perspective.
My sister was cremated and returned to Mom, but closure still occurred....My mother plans on cremation, I will be interned in the veterans cemetery in Fayetteville, Ar...

Both of my parents died within a couple months of each other in 2006. So did my mother in law. All were cremated. Mostly because that was their wish, but also more economical. Since I believe we are energy and light and only occupying a physical body for a short while, it is unimportant to me once I leave this realm.

I'm sorry for your recent losses Stat.

My sister and dad were both cremated in 2013, I have their ashes, but they are put away, I feel really bad whenever I think about them.

I wish they had not cremated my sister, she was ruled a suicide and I don't know why but I wish there was a grave where her kids and I could visit instead of sharing ashes.

I suppose it depends upon how the people left behind feel about it. I have never gotten the purpose of a crypt. Seems a waste of space. A friend died a number of years ago and we took his ashes to the cliffs in Palos Verdes, Ca and threw them over the edge. The wind caught them and the light play in the dust cloud was amazing as they wafted out to sea. That provided closure.

I suppose it depends upon how the people left behind feel about it. I have never gotten the purpose of a crypt. Seems a waste of space. A friend died a number of years ago and we took his ashes to the cliffs in Palos Verdes, Ca and threw them over the edge. The wind caught them and the light play in the dust cloud was amazing as they wafted out to sea. That provided closure.

My experience with graves and tombstones is that in the weeks and months after the burial they are visited frequently. Within a year they are only visited on Christmas, Birthdays and anniversaries
Withing a few years they are forgotten and abandoned

You only have to walk around a graveyard and see who gets visited and who doesn't

There is a company in Europe that will compress the remains into a diamond...that is what I want. Let's see if I can find that link.

I had wanted my Hubs' co-workers to build a wooden Dragon ship. Then, with Hubs' body on it, put it on the lake and shoot flaming arrows into it.

A Norse cremation.

Nope, not legal.

Not on a river: human remains are barred.

Thought about dragging the damn Dragon out past the 12 mile international border limit.

Uh, uh. Interference with shipping lanes.

So, we I'll both get cremated the usual way.

My sons will place some of me on a reef near Miami.

My bones will feed it and I will be dry at low tide and saturated at high tide .

His and my urns will go into a niche at the newish National Cemetery in Sarasota.

I have a ton of Veteran relatives and I will feel safe there.

Everybody will know where to find us.

Ordinary funerals seem excessive and wasteful to me.

Besides, I don't do normal.

Regards from Rosie

In a few years they can drop them off when a space ship leaves the orbit,,and we can float for a while...

Maybe get them shot into the sun

You can spare the expense of shooting them into the sun. Just put the ashes somewhere on Earth and wait the 10 billion years for the sun to expand and consume the Earth in the process. End result is the same: your atoms become one with a star.

Me, I want my body to go to medical research. If just one more discovery cane be made, or one medical student learn something from my mortal remains, it will be a fitting end to this scientist. My first choice is a body farm, when they throw my carcass into the elements and let animals eat and forensic scientists learn more about decomposition. It's carbon neutral, gives critters a good meal, and helps forensic scientists to learn a thing or two.

Body farm - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Body Farm

I want to be blown up. Don't know if I can figure out how to legally do it, but that's my desire.

You could go the Hunter S. Thompson route - have your ashes packed into fireworks and shot out of a cannon.

The guy who invented the Frisbee had his ashes mixed into the plastic so people are throwing him all over the parks now, dogs are slobbering on him and hopefully, ultimately, he ends up in the plastics recycle bin.

For me, personally? Cremation.

The last thing I need to take up after I'm dead is real estate.

Forum List

Back