Current QB talent

But one of the Jack Tatum hits on Mahomes and he wouldn't play for half a season.
Just one hit from the likes of Lester Hayes, Ronnie Lott, Mean Joe Greene, Lawrence Taylor etc and these guys would be sidelined. There are so many QB protections in place today that you can't even compare the games. I haven't had much respect for the NFL since the bullshit "in the grasp" rule was tried. The unnecessary roughness penalties are a joke. Enjoy your flag football. I have better things to do with my time.

It never ceases to amaze me how captured people can get by nostalgia.

It never ceases to amaze me how captured people can get by nostalgia.

Todays' QB can run away from almost anyone and go down when need be. They would avoid the Tatums and Jack Lamberts too. They can slide (even Hurst slides). Gone are the days of STATUE QBs' getting hit in the spine from a 275lb DE coming in full speed. QBs' may still take hits but much more rare is a kill shot. Almost a fluke if they even get hurt like Mahomes ankle.

Todays' QB can run away from almost anyone today. They would avoid the Tatums and Jack Lamberts too. They can slide (even Hurst slides). Gone are the days of STATUE QBs' getting hit in the spine from a 275lb DE coming in full speed. QBs' may still take hits but much more rare is a kill shot. Almost a fluke if they even get hurt like Mahomes ankle.
They are also running from and getting hit by guys who are bigger faster and stronger than the guys in the 70’s. MJG was 6’4” 275. Chris Jones is 6’6” 310 and Jones is faster than Greene ever thought about being.

Is there more talent at the QB position currently than at any other time in NFL history? I think so.

Mahomes
Hurts
Jackson
Allen
Burrow
Rodgers
Lawernce
Herbert
Tua (if he can stay healthy)

I can't think of another point in NFL history when there was anywhere near is amount of talent in the league at the same time. And most of those guys are young and will be in the league for 10+ more years, so there's more talent coming...
Hurts and Jackson aren’t that good, they will be exposed next year.

Hurts and Jackson aren’t that good, they will be exposed next year.
? Jackson’s been in the league for years. We keep hearing he will be exposed next year and yet….

Hurts is really really good. You’re being foolish.

? Jackson’s been in the league for years. We keep hearing he will be exposed next year and yet….

No way,, you will see guys drafted just to watch the QB, forcing the black to throw, and the schemes will catch up. Exposing them. Allen also won’t last as schemes change
Imagine a smaller faster DE getting drafted high, just to do one job, stop the QB sneak.

No way,, you will see guys drafted just to watch the QB, forcing the black to throw, and the schemes will catch up. Exposing them. Allen also won’t last as schemes change
Imagine a smaller faster DE getting drafted high, just to do one job, stop the QB sneak.

One DE is not going to stop any "QB sneak" from under center? There is about 3000lbs of bodies massed up at the ball and no one can get in there.
Maybe you meant to say....."a spy" to stop a running QB? Even that, Jackson is fast and elusive. Hurts can also run over some of them.

Last edited:
Never ceases to amaze me how people can so easily disregard excellence when it is dumbed down to mediocrity. Such is life in the 21st century.

What evidence have you presented that in any way indicates that what you're saying is true. Other than "ya huh"

My evidence is that QB's today are bigger faster and stronger than QB's of that era and compete against defenses who are bigger faster and stronger than defenses of that era. There's no doubt that the rules changes that have been made favor the offenses and allow them to put up better statistics. I wont argue that. But it doesnt change the fact that guys like Jackson and Mahomes are as big if not bigger than the QB's of that era, have better arms and 100% faster and more elusive. Jackson makes modern DB's and LB's look stupid on a regular basis. The only way LB's in the 70's hit Jackson is if they do it after the whistle blown.

One DE is not going to stop any "QB sneak"? There is about 2000lbs of bodies massed up at the ball and no one can get in there.
Maybe you meant to say....."a spy" to stop a running QB? Even that, Jackson is fast and elusive. Hurts can also run over some of them.
Yes a spy! I think you will see a breed of defensive player drafted to spy and stop fast QB’s .. it’s like when Bill Belichick defeated Donovan McNabb in the Super Bowl.. Donovan couldn’t run .. forced him to throw, and failed

My evidence is that QB's today are bigger faster and stronger than QB's of that era and compete against defenses who are bigger faster and stronger than defenses of that era
You don't have any evidence at all. The game is different. My evidence is the rule book of the NFL. My evidence is what is a legal hit in today's game. My evidence is the updated intentional grounding rules. My evidence is modern unnecessary roughness rules. You are grossly uninformed if you think the current NFL in any way resembles the NFL of old in any other way than they use a weird shaped ball.

There is a lot of talent today no question. But they thrive under todays rules which protects them above all else. Even legit hard hits on the QBs of today will draw a flag. How does a defender know when or if the QB is going to do a quick slide or go out of bounds when running with the ball?

You don't have any evidence at all. The game is different. My evidence is the rule book of the NFL. My evidence is what is a legal hit in today's game. My evidence is the updated intentional grounding rules. My evidence is modern unnecessary roughness rules. You are grossly uninformed if you think the current NFL in any way resembles the NFL of old in any other way than they use a weird shaped ball.
Fran Tarkenton was a running QB from that era. He was 6'0" 190. Played 18 seasons. You're telling me that Jackson who is 2 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier, and is far faster and more elusive than Tarkenton wouldnt make it. That's what you're saying right?

There is a lot of talent today no question. But they thrive under todays rules which protects them above all else. Even legit hard hits on the QBs of today will draw a flag. How does a defender know when or if the QB is going to do a quick slide or go out of bounds when running with the ball?
That doesn't change the talent level.

I agree, the talent level is not greater today than we have seen in the past. I do think it is a time where we have some additional top level QBs over some past seasons though.

1, Are QB's bigger, faster and stronger than the QB's of the past?

2, Are there more high level QB's currently than in the past?

Currently in the league, top 10 or so (talent wise) IMO in no particular order:

Mahomes
Hurts
Allen
Rodgers
Lawrence
Herbert
Burrow
Tua
Jackson
Watson
Wilson
Prescott
Smith

etc

In 1975 the top 10 passing stat leaders were

Anderson
Tarkenton
Starbach
Hart
Jones
Kilmer
Ferguson
Morton
Stabler
Namath

I'll take the 2022 list over the 1975 list every day and twice on Sunday.

What evidence have you presented that in any way indicates that what you're saying is true. Other than "ya huh"

My evidence is that QB's today are bigger faster and stronger than QB's of that era and compete against defenses who are bigger faster and stronger than defenses of that era. There's no doubt that the rules changes that have been made favor the offenses and allow them to put up better statistics. I wont argue that. But it doesnt change the fact that guys like Jackson and Mahomes are as big if not bigger than the QB's of that era, have better arms and 100% faster and more elusive. Jackson makes modern DB's and LB's look stupid on a regular basis. The only way LB's in the 70's hit Jackson is if they do it after the whistle blown.
I think Randall Cunningham would have devoured teams playing in this era. Hurts is on a 2nd round rookie contract and may make 50 million next year if renegotiated. Less quality players at other positions.

I think Randall Cunningham would have devoured teams playing in this era. Hurts is on a 2nd round rookie contract and may make 50 million next year if renegotiated. Less quality players at other positions.
Maybe. Hurts if he’s smart signs a contract like Mahomes. Makes his money but as the contract ages it becomes more and more cap friendly.

Forum List

Back