Cyberbullying:

Have you ever been the victim of cyberbullying?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bruce_T_Laney

Platinum Member
May 27, 2014
Hell
Female Firefighter's Suspected Suicide Sparks Cyberbullying Probe

After reading the article from the Huffington Post it made me wonder how many of us are guilty of being bullies and what harm do we cause with our harsh and taunting words toward our fellow posters and if someone kills themselves over those words should we be held responsible for the other person actions?

Also all of us should understand even though we post on these forums we are not actually anonymous and our IP address is kept by sites and could be turned over to the authorities for evidence to help find the individual that committed the cyberbullying.

So think before you post ( this includes me ) and ponder if the taunting you are doing will cause harm to the other you are taunting and if you are willing to live with the thought you might have killed someone with your words.

Note:

If you are contemplating on suicide I implore you to seek help and hope you discover that words are just words even if they hurt and that it is no reason to kill yourself.

" If you or someone you know needs help, please call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.Outside of the U.S., please visit the International Association for Suicide Prevention for a database of international resources. " ~ Huffpost

Bruce

• Banned
If a person kills themselves over words from an anonymous poster on the internet, "bullying" is the LEAST of their problems.

Very true and I have thought about that but I also feel that sometimes those like me can be very harsh with our words, and sometimes just need to step back and calm it.

The individual that does kill themselves over words by another person no matter anonymous or not has mental issues and should seek professional help but if someone knows this person is fragile and keep the bullying going should that person be held responsible for the action of the other person?

Terrible story. I have to admit I'm a little surprised that an adult would be affected by cyberbullying, though.

I can tell you this: Having raised two daughters, I've seen it first hand. You can take all the "peer pressure" we faced in high school and multiply it by a zillion with the internet.

I don't know how kids even make it through high school today.

13051540_628643690620737_7937527105972705109_n.jpg

No one is forcing anyone to go to any forum/s.
Just use the mouse and anyone is one click away from going to the fucking postcard collecting forum.
People who are on a forum like this one pretty quickly know what they are getting into.

I have thought about that but I also feel that sometimes those like me can be very harsh with our words, and sometimes just need to step back and calm it.

you FEEEEEL ? do you ever THINK or BELIEVE ?

"calm it" ? if someone/anyone can not handle a little harshness they need to seek a mental health expert......... SOON!!

I don't have much patience for bullies nor for most "victims" of bullies. If you are being bullied deal with it- report them, fight back in some way or avoid the bully. Cyber bullying is the easiest kind of bullying to avoid.

I agree with OP that we ought to watch how we talk to each other- that's just good manners and common decency. Being rude or a jerk doesn't mean we are bullies causing people to kill themselves. Jerks don't have that much power.

If a person kills themselves over words from an anonymous poster on the internet, "bullying" is the LEAST of their problems.

Very true and I have thought about that but I also feel that sometimes those like me can be very harsh with our words, and sometimes just need to step back and calm it.

The individual that does kill themselves over words by another person no matter anonymous or not has mental issues and should seek professional help but if someone knows this person is fragile and keep the bullying going should that person be held responsible for the action of the other person?
No.

Bullying takes two: The bully who acts and the victim who responds. There comes a time when the victim needs to make a decision as to what they wish to allow in their lives.

There are lost people who use the internet to get validated , just as much as looking for attention in the bars or where ever.
Some people come to the forums to get their anger out looking for the lost too...

Good thread~

Bullying takes two: The bully who acts and the victim who responds. There comes a time when the victim needs to make a decision as to what they wish to allow in their lives.

Look at the ones staying in a violent relationship , they are manipulated into thinking that they deserve it.

Most healthy would take a 2 x 4 and kick the bullies ass if they laid on hand on us.

lol I told my husband that 27 years ago...lol

I think people can try to bully you and get to you.
Some people are more fragile than others.

If you place your heart and value in something (perhaps for her, it was her work) and it seems you are being abused for it, and you are emotionally fragile, it can happen.

Some people are fighters.

It motivates them when they are challenged and bullied. I don't really think you can make a blanket statement about things like this. Some can handle it, some can't and it's through not fault of their own. It's like college "hazing".

Female Firefighter's Suspected Suicide Sparks Cyberbullying Probe

After reading the article from the Huffington Post it made me wonder how many of us are guilty of being bullies and what harm do we cause with our harsh and taunting words toward our fellow posters and if someone kills themselves over those words should we be held responsible for the other person actions?

Also all of us should understand even though we post on these forums we are not actually anonymous and our IP address is kept by sites and could be turned over to the authorities for evidence to help find the individual that committed the cyberbullying.

So think before you post ( this includes me ) and ponder if the taunting you are doing will cause harm to the other you are taunting and if you are willing to live with the thought you might have killed someone with your words.

Note:

If you are contemplating on suicide I implore you to seek help and hope you discover that words are just words even if they hurt and that it is no reason to kill yourself.

" If you or someone you know needs help, please call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.Outside of the U.S., please visit the International Association for Suicide Prevention for a database of international resources. " ~ Huffpost

Bruce
No such thing as cyberbullying...

Look at the ones staying in a violent relationship , they are manipulated into thinking that they deserve it.

Most healthy would take a 2 x 4 and kick the bullies ass if they laid on hand on us.

lol I told my husband that 27 years ago...lol
Of course the healthy ones leave, it may take time but they do. There is a whole psychology that takes place and each act of both parties must be taken into account. If not, the behavior may be repeated over and over.

If you raise your kids to know that what other people think doesn't define them, they will handle it better.

My oldest has Asperger's, undiagnosed except by me, but I know he has it. anyway, did not fit in with the other kids but never depressed, hard working, good person, and just very content with who he is.

Society is too tied to "fitting in" and feeling badly if you don't.

I was stalked and bullied for quite a long time. There's actually a website that was set up just for that purpose. At that time, there were no laws that covered cyber-stalking. The people involved were all identified but it didn't really matter.

Needless to say, I never considered suicide over it but if I had been fragile or young or unable to withstand the mental, physical and emotional threat, it could have been a very difficult ordeal. As it was, it mostly annoyed me.

Forum List

Back