Daily Devotion August 13th, 2016

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
When one of our children are afflicted we are quickly drawn to attend to them with loving care. God is nearest to His child who is suffering and He is watching every hour. God does not sleep nor slumber... It is in your darkest hours when you may feel that God is furthest from you that He is the closest. Though God be silent He is listening ever so carefully to every silent cry seeping out of a heart that is breaking. When no one else understands what you are going through, God does. When no one else is on your side, God is. He will never leave you nor forsake you. God is not going to abandon you.

It is good to remember that God became flesh, dwelt among men and knew firsthand the challenges that we face. He suffered rejection from his own brethren who received him not. He was accused of being demon possessed by the religious leaders. His own family did not understand him. One of his disciples denied him while yet another betrayed him for 30 pieces of silver. He was mocked, beaten, spit upon, his beard was plucked out, his body was marred beyond recognition and he carried his own cross to the hill of Golgotha where he was crucified to a cross so that those who would believe upon him could receive everlasting life.

While hanging on the cross Jesus Christ said, Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do.

It's easy to love those who love us but can we love those who hate us? Can we love those who are persecuting us for righteousness sake? With God all things are possible. The key is to be with God and not against Him as He goes about this necessary work in us. The amount of pressure we feel is equal to the amount of resistance we put up. If we do not resist the work of God in us, the pressure will not be nearly so great upon us and we shall soon find that whatever we suffered was a very light cross in comparison to the weight of eternal glory that is being worked out in us.

Crosses come in various forms and shapes. It could be a difficult boss, co-worker, an abusive family member, an ungrateful son or daughter, a mother in law that is incapable of uttering a kind word towards you. For some it is a serious health issue, the loss of a loved one, financial difficulties or an audit by the IRS. Whatever it is, thank God for your sufferings. It is a sign that He is in the midst of a wonderful work upon your soul and He will not allow you to be left in that fire of affliction for one second longer than necessary - lest He mar His own image in you.

Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning! God's work is perfect, complete. Rejoice! You have been chosen by the Creator of Heaven and Earth to be His betrothed!

In this devotion, you'll see some beautiful stones that have been polished through afflictions of the sea. The Word of God declares to us, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ (1 Peter 2:5).

Polished stones are quite radiant in the sunlight but they will pale in comparison to the finished work of God once completed in us! Take heart, Beloved! The King's daughter is all glorious within...

The king's daughter is all glorious within: her clothing is of wrought gold. She shall be brought unto the king in raiment of needlework: the virgins her companions that follow her shall be brought unto thee. With gladness and rejoicing shall they be brought: they shall enter into the king's palace.
Psalm 45:13-15

Daily Devotion: August 13th, 2016

He hath made me a polished shaft (Isa. 49:2).

There is a very famous "Pebble Beach" at Pescadero, on the California coast. The long line of white surf comes up with its everlasting roar, and rattles and thunders among the stones on the shore. They are caught in the arms of the pitiless waves, and tossed and rolled, and rubbed together, and ground against the sharp-grained cliffs. Day and night forever the ceaseless attrition goes on--never any rest. And the result?

download

Tourists from all the world flock thither to gather the round and beautiful stones. They are laid up in cabinets; they ornament the parlor mantels. But go yonder, around the point of the cliff that breaks off the force of the sea; and up in that quiet cove, sheltered from the storms, and lying ever in the sun, you shall find abundance of pebbles that have never been chosen by the traveler.

Why are these left all the years through unsought? For the simple reason that they have escaped all the turmoil and attrition of the waves, and the quiet and peace have left them as they found them, rough and angular and devoid of beauty. Polish comes through trouble.

Since God knows what niche we are to fill, let us trust Him to shape us to it. Since He knows what work we are to do, let us trust Him to drill us to the proper preparation.

O blows that smite! O hurts that pierce
This shrinking heart of mine!
What are ye but the Master's tools
Forming a work Divine?

Streams in the Desert - July 7

Last edited:
Psalm 142 King James Version (KJV)
142 I cried unto the Lord with my voice; with my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication.

2 I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.

3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.

4 I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.

5 I cried unto thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.

6 Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I.

7 Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.

King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

Forum List

Back