Damn right. Alabama Bunker Stand Off is Over

"FBI Special Agent in Charge Steve Richardson at the scene said negotiations had broken down with the child's abductor and the kidnapper was "observed holding a gun."

Believing the child to be in imminent danger, an FBI team entered the bunker at 3:12 p.m. CT (4:12 p.m. ET) and rescued the boy, Richardson said, adding that the hostage-taker is dead."

Officials: Hostage standoff ends with child rescued, kidnapper dead - CNN.com

I read they threw in a stun grenade. I've noticed that in high-profile hostage situations -- the terrible Palcinski rampage in Baltimore several years ago was one -- they don't fool around, they just shoot them. Works for me: this guy needed shooting.

I'm glad to see the FBI is capable of doing something right. I never thought they'd get the kid out alive.

I caught the end of a report --so it was a stun grenade?

I understand why more specifics cannot be released at this point or possibly 'ever' but someone said that there was 'cooperation all the way to DC'--some sort of surveillance equipment was thought to have been in use and drones may have been used.

Not sure what this guy was trying to accomplish, but I think he knew he was a dead man. I also don't think he had any intention of killing or harming the kid. I imagine when they went in after him, he was an easy take down. Most likely it's what he wanted anyway. The good thing is it's over and the kid is safe, and we don't have to hear about this guy's trial.

According to the press conference FBI barged in and shot him. I guess you could say negotiations failed.
But they observed him holding a gun first....swut I herd.

If I just had a picture of the entrance....

Oh please. If they stormed in he could have been holding an ice cream cone and they'd say it was a gun.
I don't think it matters if he was holding a gun or not. He held someone, a child, hostage for 7 days and refused to give that hostage up safely. The hostage was in danger every minute of every day. They don't need to wait until this guy isn't holding a gun against the police: in the interest of the hostage, they should be able to shoot and kill the hostage taker to save the child.

Not sure what this guy was trying to accomplish, but I think he knew he was a dead man. I also don't think he had any intention of killing or harming the kid. I imagine when they went in after him, he was an easy take down. Most likely it's what he wanted anyway. The good thing is it's over and the kid is safe, and we don't have to hear about this guy's trial.

I don't think this was suicide by cop. I think this guy was obviously crazy and the child was in danger the whole time. What if it was your child? Would you really be saying, oh no problem, he doesn't intend to harm the child? There is no telling what someone who is off their rocker will do. And, this guy had already murdered the bus driver.

Clearly the best outcome. Child safe, criminal dead, no money spent on trials, incarceration, lawyers, etc.

It would have been better if the kid did not have to witness more death.

The cops were not able to see that outcome because the Gun Nutter insisted it end with guns

It would have been better if the kid did not have to witness more death.

The cops were not able to see that outcome because the Gun Nutter insisted it end with guns

the guy was a "nutter" with a gun. Mental illness was the problem, not the gun. grow up.

Still, very few details are coming out

My best guess was some type of flash grenade followed by shooting the kidnapper

Hope the kid is OK, he has been through quite an ordeal

sounds to me like they blew the door then went in and shot the guy before he could shoot anyone else.

Only took seven days too long but hey let's slap some backs.

It would have been nicer and better if it had happened much sooner, but seriously ---

MAYBE they felt obliged to try to do it without risking even the life of the nutjob.

Someone with expertise in 'SWAT' scenarios said that from the start there would have been a lot of risk involved and storming the bunker was ill advised.

From what information has been released, there was camera surveillance. Most likely, when the negotiators convinced the man to let the child have some toys, they put small toys down the 4 in, pipe with cameras in the toys so they could see what was going on. That's probably what took so long. They were getting the cameras in. Then they just waited for an optimum time to storm through the door. Maybe the guy was taking a dump for all we know and not near the child.

hopefully he just had a heartattack and died

Forum List

Back