DC's Minimum Wage Really Does Cost Jobs At Walmart

Based on the overwhelmingly number of postings on this and many other forums, Conservatives hold the belief that the poor can simply pick themselves up and move on to greener pastures.
It used to be easier with millions of Illegals and unemployed Business Visas who are getting all the low wage jobs.
I find it highly unlikely that most poor LOVE being poor and working themselves to the bone their entire lives.

I didn't say it was simple. It requires effort. Perhaps that's why so many generations within the same family stay poor. They've learned it's easier to get a check handed to them than work for one. "It worked for my mama so it's good enough for me" is the mentality.

Those that want to make the effort can and will get ahead. Those that want to make excuses won't but will still expect the rest of us to support them.

I didn't say they loved it. I said they accept it.

I don't think it's so simple to pick up and move.
Lots of people moving to NYC/LI getting minimum jobs along with many college graduates.
We are inundated with non-citizens diluting value.

It is easy to move. You just put one foot in front of the other and pretty soon you are no longer where you were.

So move.
I know, I know, YOU love your piss poor paying job so YOU are not moving.
I guess EVERYBODY has the same thought process.

Oh, I have moved. I am in my 6th school district. Every time has been better than before, but moving like that doesn't get you tenure! I worked in school districts that pay more, but the cost of living also goes up. That is why you have teachers in Nassau County making $100,000 while we top out in the low 60s. My house, if it were in LI, would probably go for close to a half million dollars.

Yes it would. A lot of teachers on LI were laid off about 5 years ago or so.
But each district is an autonomous mafia.
My area has used Facebook to reject a couple of outrageous budgets lately.
The low 60's can be quite nice depending on where you live.

I didn't say it was simple. It requires effort. Perhaps that's why so many generations within the same family stay poor. They've learned it's easier to get a check handed to them than work for one. "It worked for my mama so it's good enough for me" is the mentality.

Those that want to make the effort can and will get ahead. Those that want to make excuses won't but will still expect the rest of us to support them.

Lots of people moving to NYC/LI getting minimum jobs along with many college graduates.

It is easy to move. You just put one foot in front of the other and pretty soon you are no longer where you were.

So move.

Oh, I have moved. I am in my 6th school district. Every time has been better than before, but moving like that doesn't get you tenure! I worked in school districts that pay more, but the cost of living also goes up. That is why you have teachers in Nassau County making $100,000 while we top out in the low 60s. My house, if it were in LI, would probably go for close to a half million dollars.

In some areas, it wouldn't be a living wage based on the cost of living.

So move.

Certainly not on LI.
Most areas don't pay their teachers with 2 years experience of Social Studies 95K/year.
LI is known for outrageous pay.
But my NYC friends are all comfortably retired in their low 50s; I'm not crying for them.

Amazon, Kroger, Aldi, Dollar Tree, Costco, Target & Dollar General have all beaten Walmart at the retail business.

Last edited:

So move.

Certainly not on LI.
Most areas don't pay their teachers with 2 years experience of Social Studies 95K/year.
But my NYC friends are all comfortably retired in their low 50s; I'm not crying for them.

I don't know any teacher where I live that makes that much with the max years experience on the pay/educational level matrix. I checked the matrix. The closet to that $95K was a 27 year teacher with a doctorate and it isn't but slightly over $77K. To be fair, cost of living where I am isn't near as high as I suspect it is where you live.

Its time to limit a ceo's and the boards ability to collect golden shoots to maybe 5% of the companies yearly profit. Its time to demand that the workers/producers are paid for their work.

I am so fucking sick of you loserterians and your dreams of having oral sex with the super rich fucking over the workers.

Its time to limit a ceo's and the boards ability to collect golden shoots to maybe 5% of the companies yearly profit. Its time to demand that the workers/producers are paid for their work.

I am so fucking sick of you loserterians and your dreams of having oral sex with the super rich fucking over the workers.

Its time to demand that the workers/producers are paid for their work.

Da, kill the greedy kulaks, eh comrade?
All you have to lose are your chains.

So move.

Certainly not on LI.

I don't know any teacher where I live that makes that much with the max years experience on the pay/educational level matrix. I checked the matrix. The closet to that $95K was a 27 year teacher with a doctorate and it isn't but slightly over $77K. To be fair, cost of living where I am isn't near as high as I suspect it is where you live.

The crux of the issue on LI are the relatives and friends who get jobs and the fact that Districts have no one to answer to except the voters who are FINALLY catching on.
Nassau County is most likely amongst the most corrupt County in the US on all levels of government and school districts.

Walmart has decided not to build some of the stores that it had said it would inWashington DC.

Snip

The reason Walmart isn’t going to open those new stores:

Evans said that, behind closed doors, Walmart officials were more frank about the reasons the company was downsizing. He said the company cited the District’s rising minimum wage, now at $11.50 an hour and possibly going to $15 an hour if a proposed ballot measure is successful in November. He also said a proposal for legislation requiring D.C. employers to pay into a fund for family and medical leave for employees, and another effort to require a minimum amount of hours for hourly workers were compounding costs and concerns for the retailer.

Higher minimum wages mean fewer jobs as companies that would have expanded do not. And note again that not only do the workers not gain those higher wages the consumers also lose out on their benefits.

The correct minimum wage is, as it always has been, $0 per hour, as once even the New York Times knew.

Snip

The positive effect on consumers is some 50 times the possibly negative effect on the workers’ wages. That’s an effect of such size that no reworking of the numbers is going to reverse the conclusion. Yes, low price goods aid consumers more than low wages hurt workers. This is not a belief, this is a fact.

DC's Minimum Wage Really Does Cost Jobs At Walmart

Damn shame isn't it? The goddamned rich people in this country can make anything they are interested in appear to be exactly what they wish it to be. If every worker in the world went on a hunger strike and didn't show up for work do you actually think companies wouldn't give them a decent raise? If you do you're a dumbass.

Actually it would be easier than that. They could stop purchasing anything except bare necessities and the companies would give up in a heartbeat. If there's one thing a CEO and his/her board of directors(Republicans) can't stand it's low or no profits.

If I were a young man I would start a global union and we would all sit down at the same time. The problem is that for the last 35 years(since Reagan fired PATCO) companies have had little or no opposition

unionincome.jpg

6-25-10inc-f1.jpg

Last edited:

So move.

The low 60s also takes you 30 years to get there!

So move.

Certainly not on LI.

So they are retiring on what I make?

Thank you for your input, Comrade!

Keep on keeping on.......you will be taken down. It's not fair nor feasible for the most powerful country in the world to accommodate it's rich people while starving it's less fortunate. This bullshit started with Ronald Reagan's tax cuts for the wealthy and when George W. Bush cut them two more times it put average Americans into the jaws of death.

One of every four workers in this country is earning less than the determined poverty level. If you think that's anything close to fair you've got your right wing head up your ignorant ass.

head-up-ass.jpg

Amazon, Kroger, Aldi, Dollar Tree, Costco, Target & Dollar General have all beaten Walmart at the retail business.

Fail? Aldi has extremely limited number of items. There are a few that are cheaper, and of the same quality, most are not. Kroger, most definitely has not beaten Walmart at price, that's for sure. And often they don't have the food stuffs I'm looking for either.

Amazon used to have the best prices possible for the things they had... but lately I've found the stuff I want cheaper elsewhere.

I've never been to the Dollar Tree or Target, or Dollar General, but you are absolutely bonkers if you think everyone has beaten Walmart. If they had, no one would go there. Walmart is packed CONSTANTLY. There's ALWAYS people at the Walmart, morning noon and night.

You people..... just talk of out of your butt, and think no one will notice the methane.

Keep on keeping on.......you will be taken down. It's not fair nor feasible for the most powerful country in the world to accommodate it's rich people while starving it's less fortunate. This bullshit started with Ronald Reagan's tax cuts for the wealthy and when George W. Bush cut them two more times it put average Americans into the jaws of death.

One of every four workers in this country is earning less than the determined poverty level. If you think that's anything close to fair you've got your right wing head up your ignorant ass.

So in your world, poor people not having jobs, because you wiped out the corporations that employ people like Walmart, will some how reverse your myths?

head-up-ass.jpg

Self-portrait, comrade?

head-up-ass.jpg

It's not fair nor feasible for the most powerful country in the world to accommodate it's rich people while starving it's less fortunate.

Starving? Have you seen our obese poor people in America? LOL!

One of every four workers in this country is earning less than the determined poverty level.

Yeah, those ridiculous poverty numbers sure are reliable. Give me a break.

Um....did I miss something or did not Wally World announce the closing of 250 stores? Oh, and nearly 10,000 workers were to lose their jobs? I would have SWORN that I saw that on the local news.......guess my advanced age makes me hard of hearing.....

Sure. 95% of the stores to be closed are within 10 miles of another store, and most were small stores recently built in a pilot program started in 2011. Their intent was to compete with convince stores and dollar stores, but it didn't work out as well as hoped, so the program is being discontinued. They intend to build 50 or 60 super centers to replace the 154 small pilot program stores closed in America.
Wal-Mart to close 269 stores globally as it retools fleet

head-up-ass.jpg

It's not fair nor feasible for the most powerful country in the world to accommodate it's rich people while starving it's less fortunate.

Starving? Have you seen our obese poor people in America? LOL!

One of every four workers in this country is earning less than the determined poverty level.

Yeah, those ridiculous poverty numbers sure are reliable. Give me a break.

Less money means poorer food choices available and more likelihood of obesity.

Forum List

Back