Deadly Night of Tornadoes

The slider photos from this article are stupefying.

One of those that died in the Amazon warehouse texted his girlfriends right before the tornado hit saying that Amazon would not let them leave.

advice for living in major tornado regions: Buy or build your house halfway up the side of a fairly tall hill and inside a ring of hills if you can; the east side is best in most regions of the U.S. You will still get high winds and lots of rain, but the funnels nearly always follow the low ground and will go around hills. From weather maps it seems like the northeast sides would be better in the Midwest, but I don't live there so do your homework on the general direction they move in your region.
This entire post is bullshit! Not 5 miles from my house are hills covered in downed trees from a tornado which followed the hill sides for about a mile a few years back.

Believed to be over 100 dead now.
I live about an hour and a half away from there.
It got interesting last night. We are very fortunate to have been spared the worst of it here.
I live hundred's of miles away, and the same line of storm's threw a tree down in my yard.

One of those that died in the Amazon warehouse texted his girlfriends right before the tornado hit saying that Amazon would not let them leave.
If true, then that text just became evidence if it can be corroborated by other witnesses evidence or testimony if a case comes up.

I live hundred's of miles away, and the same line of storm's threw a tree down in my yard.
Trees can grow strangely. There was an oak tree down the block that was over 4 foot thick that blew down a couple years ago. We thought it would be there forever, but its root system had grown shallow because of an underlying rock bed, less than 2-3 feet down, so it didn't have the leverage one would think it did. We get high winds here all the time; they can do some strange things.

Trees can grow strangely. There was an oak tree down the block that was over 4 foot thick that blew down a couple years ago. We thought it would be there forever, but its root system had grown shallow because of an underlying rock bed, less than 2-3 feet down, so it didn't have the leverage one would think it did. We get high winds here all the time; they can do some strange things.
Yep, this tree had a bad place near the bottom, and the winds exploited that spot. Got another one beside it, so I'm going to fall it before it falls on it's own when least expect it.

What are slider photos?
Two photos in the same place on a page, with a slider so you can slide back and forth between them to see the contrast. They're often used for before-and-after photos, like these ones of the spots levelled by the tornadoes. I don't know if that's what they're really called, but that's the best term I could think for them.

That won't happen. Unless he quit, they should have remained there. We never dismissed schools during bad weather. Placing someone in their car or home is inherently more dangerous that keeping them at work.
Yep. A strong concrete structure is a lot safer than a stick built home, or your car -- except THIS time

That won't happen. Unless he quit, they should have remained there. We never dismissed schools during bad weather. Placing someone in their car or home is inherently more dangerous that keeping them at work.
That will have to be sorted out by a judge if it comes to that, because we don't know the details of the case. I agree once something was already upon the facility or within striking distance of it, then yes it would have been best to stay put for safety or many more might have parished. So it would come down to the time of the warning, the time of the request to leave, and the time that the order to stay put was all being dealt with.

Yep. A strong concrete structure is a lot safer than a stick built home, or your car -- except THIS time
Never know.... I remember living in a mobile home (single wide), way back in the day, and we had a huge truck. Well we had storm warnings issued, and the weather started looking rough outside. I told the wife, hey let's go get into the truck for safety. She said huh ?? I said well think about it, if the tornado hits this thing, we are going to be tossed around like paper, and then end up in the yard with who knows what kind of injuries.

The truck I figured might get tossed around if not a direct hit, but at least it won't come apart. It also had a protective cage or roll bar system on it.

Forum List

Back