Deadly NYC subway fight

Did the blond marine use too much force or not
???
On the F train on May 1, Juan Alberto Vazquez, a freelance journalist, began recording video after Mr. Penny had placed Mr. Neely in a headlock. He said later that Mr. Neely had been yelling about being hungry and unafraid to die, but it is unclear if he had physically threatened anyone. It is also unclear whether Mr. Neely and Mr. Penny interacted before the encounter, but Mr. Penny and the other riders on the train would not have known about Mr. Neely’s history of arrests.

Mr. Penny held Mr. Neely down. The restrained man thrashed and kicked for at least two minutes before becoming limp. Two men hovered over the action, helping to pin down Mr. Neely.

“You don’t have to catch a murder charge,” another passenger can be heard saying on the video. “You got a hell of a chokehold, man.”

It is unknown whether Mr. Penny was attempting the blood choke he had learned a few years earlier. The moment when Mr. Neely should have lost consciousness — after eight seconds or so — had long passed.

One witness, Johnny Grima, said he entered the subway car while Mr. Penny was still choking Mr. Neely but after Mr. Neely had stopped moving. “When they let him go, Jordan’s eyes were open, staring out into space and he was limp,” said Mr. Grima, 38, a formerly homeless man who lives in the Bronx and did not know Mr. Neely.

In the video, as Mr. Penny lets go and stands up, Mr. Grima can be heard saying, “Don’t leave him on his back, though, man, he might choke on his own spit if you put him on his back — put him on his side.”

One of the men who had been holding Mr. Neely down complies with the request, rolling Mr. Neely onto his side. While he does so, Mr. Penny fetches a baseball cap from under a subway seat, which he had apparently dropped in the struggle, and puts it back on.

The moment when Mr. Neely should have lost consciousness — after eight seconds or so — had long passed.

quotes:
I have been a lot thinking about this incident quite a bit since it happened, and I have three points I want to make.

I have no doubt that the people in that subway car felt uncomfortable. I have been in similar situations where I felt similarly uncomfortable. But discomfort is no excuse for violence. Neely, according to witnesses, was screaming and shouting at passengers. It may have been scary. But fear is not a license to use force.

There is nothing Neely did, as far as we know, that gave anyone in that car the right to restrain him. There is nothing he did, in that moment, to deserve death. Yes, he had a record. But no one on the train knew that. And even if they did, there is no individual right to act as judge, jury and executioner for past offenses.

quotes:
I have been a lot thinking about this incident quite a bit since it happened, and I have three points I want to make.

I have no doubt that the people in that subway car felt uncomfortable. I have been in similar situations where I felt similarly uncomfortable. But discomfort is no excuse for violence. Neely, according to witnesses, was screaming and shouting at passengers. It may have been scary. But fear is not a license to use force.

There is nothing Neely did, as far as we know, that gave anyone in that car the right to restrain him. There is nothing he did, in that moment, to deserve death. Yes, he had a record. But no one on the train knew that. And even if they did, there is no individual right to act as judge, jury and executioner for past offenses.
through stuff at people , getting in their faces , starting fights. now these protest animals are protesting at the subway and getting arrested. thats what they do best.

why are they not at work?

through stuff at people , getting in their faces , starting fights. now these protest animals are protesting at the subway and getting arrested. thats what they do best.

why are they not at work?
The obvious solution here is to simply...not stop the trains. Splatter a few of them and the rest might smarten up.

Really? The man didn't physically assault anyone. Verbal assaults are common on public transit. The MArine guy (former) most likely overreacted and because of that a man is dead.
Neely was at the end of his rope and could, arguably, have been working himself up to do something violent. Perhaps some innocent person is unharmed because of Penny's action. Often a violent attack is preceded by escalating anger.

Other passengers moved away from the man, likely frightened of being assaulted.

Neely was at the end of his rope and could, arguably, have been working himself up to do something violent. Perhaps some innocent person is unharmed because of Penny's action. Often a violent attack is preceded by escalating anger.

Other passengers moved away from the man, likely frightened of being assaulted.
Penny seems to be a drifting loser, who couldn't find his way around a healthy life in the USA

“These choking techniques, if applied properly, are a fast and safe way to knock out the enemy,” a sergeant said in an article on the Marines website.

New Marines are trained to apply a “blood choke,” which, when done properly, cuts off blood and oxygen to the brain in as little as eight seconds. But it is imperative in a blood choke to not squeeze the person’s windpipe, which could lead to injury or worse, according to training documents.

amazing story'

Forum List

Back