Debasing Science

"... copy and paste.....go through life without having to reason anything out."

Let's put you in your place forthwith.

The only way you could be less than an imbecile is if the sections 'copies and pasted' appeared as random items.

As they do not, and fit to form an unassailable construction that is designed to...and does....support the contentions of the author, QED....you are an imbecile.

Clearly you neither read nor understood the thread, and, therefore, cannot point to any error therein.

You're about as likely to accept education as mayflies are to see Christmas.

This is what I get for generally agreeing with you? I don't think I'm the imbicile here.

We live in the age of copy and paste. Any number of answers are available to us with the click of a button. We can now go through life without having to reason anything out.

I admire scientists like Niels Bohr and Richard Feynman who were humble enough to realize that the answers are not simple. Feynman warned that anyone who claims to understand quantum physics really really doesn't understand quantum physics. Bohr said that science is an abstract language, like poetry, a descriptor and not the thing itself. The great evolutionary biologist Stephen J Gould warned us of a dogmatic scientific priesthood and defensive scientific orthodoxy.

A great metaphor is the Piltdown Man. Evolutionary biologists long held to Darwin's belief that evolution was a steady and gradual process. The Piltdown Man confirmed their belief by providing a missing link example. Confirmation bias blinded the scientific world. It took 40 years for someone to realize that an ape jaw had been attached to a human skull. It was all a hoax.
Piltdown Man - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

New discoveries advance our scientific understanding. However, occasionally we realize that we've forced a jigsaw puzzle piece into place (corrupting the pieces around it). More often than not it's the discovery that the scientific majority is wrong that advances our understanding and allows us to move forward.

That is one of the greatest things about science.

It is self correcting.

When we discover that we were wrong we admit it and move forward on to the next problem.

Compare that to those who are incapable of admitting to being wrong.

Give me science with all of it's flaws because I know that it will eventually find them and correct them.

We live in the age of copy and paste. Any number of answers are available to us with the click of a button. We can now go through life without having to reason anything out.

I admire scientists like Niels Bohr and Richard Feynman who were humble enough to realize that the answers are not simple. Feynman warned that anyone who claims to understand quantum physics really really doesn't understand quantum physics. Bohr said that science is an abstract language, like poetry, a descriptor and not the thing itself. The great evolutionary biologist Stephen J Gould warned us of a dogmatic scientific priesthood and defensive scientific orthodoxy.

A great metaphor is the Piltdown Man. Evolutionary biologists long held to Darwin's belief that evolution was a steady and gradual process. The Piltdown Man confirmed their belief by providing a missing link example. Confirmation bias blinded the scientific world. It took 40 years for someone to realize that an ape jaw had been attached to a human skull. It was all a hoax.

New discoveries advance our scientific understanding. However, occasionally we realize that we've forced a jigsaw puzzle piece into place (corrupting the pieces around it). More often than not it's the discovery that the scientific majority is wrong that advances our understanding and allows us to move forward.

It is self correcting.

When we discover that we were wrong we admit it and move forward on to the next problem.

Give me science with all of it's flaws because I know that it will eventually find them and correct them.

As Darwin discovered, unique forms evolve in isolation. He found an iguana on the Galapagos that fed on kelp, for example. Reggae music was a product of the unique culture of Jamaica.

In this shrinking world of mass-culture, particularly as it relates to scientific collaboration, you can argue that unique ideas don't get the space they need to grow and develop. That was sort of the point with my copy and paste reference.

It is self correcting.

As Darwin discovered, unique forms evolve in isolation. He found an iguana on the Galapagos that fed on kelp, for example. Reggae music was a product of the unique culture of Jamaica.

In this shrinking world of mass-culture, particularly as it relates to scientific collaboration, you can argue that unique ideas don't get the space they need to grow and develop. That was sort of the point with my copy and paste reference.

Yes, isolation plays an evolutionary role in species adaption to their environments. Odds are there wasn't a lot of normal iguana fodder to be found but there was a lot of kelp. There are sheep on the northenmost Orkey island off Ireland that eat kelp too.

Yes, isolation plays an evolutionary role in species adaption to their environments. Odds are there wasn't a lot of normal iguana fodder to be found but there was a lot of kelp. There are sheep on the northenmost Orkey island off Ireland that eat kelp too.

Going back to the music analogy; Jazz was the product of the 20s. Swing in the 40s. Soul, RnB, rock in the 50s and 60s. Disco, Reggae and Punk in the 70s. Metal, New Age, Techno, etc. in the 80s. All those musical innovations developed first in isolated cultural environments and then spread. Today, mass-culture music is recycled from past forms.

In today's hyper-connected mass-culture there's tremendous downward pressure on ideas. Nothing exists in isolation. Is it more difficult than ever for new scientific ideas to survive?

It is self correcting.

"It is self correcting."

Unfortunately, the same is not true for you.

Antonio Gramsci, Italian Marxist theoretician and founding member and one-time leader of the Communist Party of Italy. Gramschi’s motto is that of liberals today: “that all life is "political."
The dude knew whereof he spoke.

So everything you post here is first and foremost just political.
Monster trucks, fake wrestling and nascar are GOP past times, dont put your cheesedick activities on a Boss like me thanks very much, Jethro.

Antonio Gramsci, Italian Marxist theoretician and founding member and one-time leader of the Communist Party of Italy. Gramschi’s motto is that of liberals today: “that all life is "political."

Monster trucks, fake wrestling and nascar are GOP past times, dont put your cheesedick activities on a Boss like me thanks very much, Jethro.

It's moments like this when I recognize that you don't realize how truly stupid you are.

Let me put it this way: you are to stupidity what the Chinese are to gunpowder.

In today's hyper-connected mass-culture there's tremendous downward pressure on ideas. Nothing exists in isolation. Is it more difficult than ever for new scientific ideas to survive?

Not in the least. If anything we are enjoying a scientific renaissance because of the hyperconnectivity.

There is more and more cross pollination between disciplines that are leading to some fascinating discoveries. Scientists who trained in one discipline working in another are bringing new insights and approaches.

Now is a good time to be a scientist IMO.

It is self correcting.

"It is self correcting."

Ironic given that you are never right about anything, PoliticalSpice.

It's moments like this when I recognize that you don't realize how truly stupid you are.

Let me put it this way: you are to stupidity what the Chinese are to gunpowder.
Youre projecting, cut n paste.

It is self correcting.

"It is self correcting."

Ironic given that you are never right about anything, PoliticalSpice.

Appears to be a paradox at best, as I am never wrong.

I suggest you engage in ratiocination so as to look less the fool.

Not in the least. If anything we are enjoying a scientific renaissance because of the hyperconnectivity.

There is more and more cross pollination between disciplines that are leading to some fascinating discoveries. Scientists who trained in one discipline working in another are bringing new insights and approaches.

That's the pro.

I think I described the con.

Sure is. One of my professors deals with quantum mechanics and started attending cosmology and astrophysics conferences once he realized that they are all tackling the same problems but from opposite ends of the size of the universe. It must have been a real game changing moment the first time some cosmologist realized that the answer to why galaxies behave in a certain way might be fund in a Feynman Diagram.

Sure is. One of my professors deals with quantum mechanics and started attending cosmology and astrophysics conferences once he realized that they are all tackling the same problems but from opposite ends of the size of the universe. It must have been a real game changing moment the first time some cosmologist realized that the answer to why galaxies behave in a certain way might be fund in a Feynman Diagram.

The scientists of yesteryear tended to be Renaissance men in the sense that they had a broad range of interests.

The term polymath predates renaissance man and is from the Greek polymathes. To thinking men like Plato, and then Aristotle, the idea of “having learned much,” the literal translation of the Greek word, was extremely important. Aristotle, in his diverse writings, strongly advocated that people who would choose to study rhetoric should be well versed in a variety of fields, since this gave them the opportunity to comment on a variety of situations, and develop “commonplaces

You can go all the way back to Pythagoras and his love of different maths, astronomy, natural history, philosophy, music, poetry and religion.

Collaboration is tremendously beneficial. The other side of the coin, opposite of collaboration, is groupthink. The other side of cross-pollination is eventual uniformity.

Individuation is a good word, reaching your unique potential. The space to think our own thoughts is shrinking. Pretty soon all of our brains will be linked up to the Matrix.

There are benefits to monocultures. There are benefits to quilts of diverse patches.

Forum List

Back