Debate transcript ...

QUINTANILLA: Senator Cruz. Congressional Republicans, Democrats and the White House are about to strike a compromise that would raise the debt limit, prevent a government shutdown and calm financial markets that fear of — another Washington-created crisis is on the way.

Does your opposition to it show that you’re not the kind of problem-solver American voters want?

Cruz refused to answer this extremely important question, instead ranting about media bias and claiming the media is in the tank for the Democrats. He ended up running out the clock, no doubt deliberately, so that he never actually had to discuss what he has been up to with all these plots to shut down the government.

Same story with the question asked of Carson that the audience booed. This question was far from fluffy, but was in fact deadly serious, with an emphasis on deadly:

QUINTANILLA: One more question. This is a company called Mannatech, a maker of nutritional supplements, with which you had a 10-year relationship. They offered claims that they could cure autism, cancer, they paid $7 million to settle a deceptive marketing lawsuit in Texas, and yet your involvement continued. Why?

advertisement
[iframe name="google_ads_iframe_/10721600/Salon/Politics_10" width="636" height="250" id="google_ads_iframe_/10721600/Salon/Politics_10" src="javascript:"[/iframe]
Carson immediately denied involvement, which is a lie. Quintanilla’s question was touching off on a major issue that doesn’t get nearly enough media coverage, which is the way that many conservative figureheads, especially Ben Carson and Mike Huckabee, use their status as conservative figureheads to email blast advertisements for snake oil, survivalist gear and financial scams to their followers. The claims made by the con artists, who see the conservative movement as a source of elderly and naive marks to target, are far from harmless. It’s not just that they drain money out of people, but that they often claim that nutritional supplements can cure cancer and Alzheimer’s. That Carson would lend his good name as a neurosurgeon to such claims is so awful that the word “unethical” doesn’t begin to encompass it.

Kasich punches Trump and Carson:

HARWOOD: Well, let's just get more pointed about it. You said yesterday that you were hearing proposals that were just crazy from your colleagues.

Who were you talking about?

KASICH: Well, I mean right here. To talk about we're just gonna have a 10 percent tithe and that's how we're gonna fund the government? And we're going to just fix everything with waste, fraud, and abuse? Or that we're just going to be great? Or we're going to ship 10 million Americans -- or 10 million people out of this country, leaving their children here in this country and dividing families?

Trump punches Kasich back:

TRUMP: First of all, John got lucky with a thing called fracking, OK? He hit oil. He got lucky with fracking. Believe me, that is why Ohio is doing well. Number -- and that is important for you to know.

Number two, this was the man that was a managing general partner at Lehman Brothers when it went down the tubes and almost took every one of us with it, including Ben and myself, because I was there and I watched what happened.

And Lehman Brothers started it all. He was on the board. And he was a managing general partner.

And just thirdly, he was so nice. He was such a nice guy. And he said, oh, I'm never going to attack. But then his poll numbers tanked. He has got -- that is why he is on the end.

Bush attacks Rubio:

BUSH: Could I -- could I bring something up here, because I'm a constituent of the senator and I helped him and I expected that he would do constituent service, which means that he shows up to work. He got endorsed by the Sun-Sentinel because he was the most talented guy in the field. He's a gifted politician.

But Marco, when you signed up for this, this was a six-year term, and you should be showing up to work. I mean, literally, the Senate -- what is it, like a French work week? You get, like, three days where you have to show up? You can campaign, or just resign and let someone else take the job. There are a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck in Florida as well, they're looking for a senator that will fight for them each and every day.

Rubio guts Bush:

RUBIO: Well, it's interesting. Over the last few weeks, I've listened to Jeb as he walked around the country and said that you're modeling your campaign after John McCain, that you're going to launch a furious comeback the way he did, by fighting hard in New Hampshire and places like that, carrying your own bag at the airport. You know how many votes John McCain missed when he was carrying out that furious comeback that you're now modeling after?

BUSH: He wasn't my senator.

RUBIO: No Jeb, I don't remember -- well, let me tell you. I don't remember you ever complaining about John McCain's vote record. The only reason why you're doing it now is because we're running for the same position, and someone has convinced you that attacking me is going to help you.

Bush walked away from that exchange with a giant belly wound and a new facial tic.

Last edited:
The candidates hacked away at each other all night. They can't blame the moderators. They all came loaded for bear to murderize each other. They were heavily prepped. This was not spontaneous. These were lines they had brought with them to use. Their knives were sharpened and they had been practicing with them before the debate. It was obvious.

They showed the world just how much they hate each other.

It's completely bogus to blame the moderators.

When CNBC debate moderators asked Donald Trump why he insulted Mark Zuckerberg in his immigration plan, Trump had an answer that befuddled moderator Becky Quick:

"I never said that."

But actually, Trump really did call out Zuckerberg in his immigration plan. His plan says, as stated explicitly on his own campaign website, "This will improve the number of black, Hispanic and female workers in Silicon Valley who have been passed over in favor of the H-1B program. Mark Zuckerberg’s personal Senator, Marco Rubio, has a bill to triple H-1Bs that would decimate women and minorities."

and so on ...

damn mods made Trump lie out his ass ...

Transparent RW's ... blame anyone else, never accept responsibility.

HOOT !

this must be the part where RW rats vanish down a drain pipe, ignoring the facts as usual.

Losers.

days have gone by and not one single reply from a RW ... why is that ?

oh yeah, they're crazy as hell. Never mind, carry on. Ignore the facts.

Last edited:
The candidates hacked away at each other all night. They can't blame the moderators. They all came loaded for bear to murderize each other. They were heavily prepped. This was not spontaneous. These were lines they had brought with them to use. Their knives were sharpened and they had been practicing with them before the debate. It was obvious.

They showed the world just how much they hate each other.

It's completely bogus to blame the moderators.

I blame the moderators for the debate; Bush brought up a legitimate concern about why Rubio, who has said he won't run again as Senator, won't resign. The people of Florida deserve an effective Senator. And I'm not talking about his absenteeism; Part of the job (if you want to be effective) is that you're there for 6 years.You can be an ally or a roadblock. Allies can get things done by traveling to an ally's district, raising money for their campaign, etc... Rubio's effectiveness is muted by his announcement that he won't be there year after next.

I read the transcript. It was a good debate. The moderators let the Republicans say their piece. If they were truly biased they would have cut them off every time they got off topic on some sort of non-substantive attack issue such as the various quasi scandals (bankruptcy, Atlantic City, being fired, supplements). Those topics were brought up, and that is only fair in a debate designed to vet the candidates. But there was plenty of discussion of substantive issues.

Debate moderators: good job.

Why do special snowflakes like Cruz and Trump want there to be a debate with no tough questions asked?

So, of those that have posted here, who won your vote????

:cuckoo:
Chris Christie made the case for himself best in my view.

In my state we have an open primary, so I can choose whether I want to go Republican or Democrat.

It is far too early for me to decide which of the candidates (or rather, the ones left at that point) I will vote for.

Forum List

Back