Dem Strategy for SCOTUS Nomination: Angry Base or 8 Toss-up Senate Races?

TahoeHorn

Rookie
Apr 7, 2018
What strategy will be pursued by Chuck Schumer and Co in the confirmation hearings? Do they want to try to re-elect people like Heidi Heitkamp, Joe Manchin and Claire McCaskill? Or do they want to mollify an angry base? Can they try to do both?

There are eight Senate races which are now rated toss-ups. Assuming the other Senate races go as predicted the Dems need seven of eight to get control of the Senate. Even if they come up short it's obviously easier to pick off one vote or two than three or four. So every race is critical. I have to believe that acting like an ass in the confirmation hearings will not help with swing voters, or conservative voters who like the Dem nominee. But the Dem base is mad, mad, mad. "Betraying" them will not go well.

So what will they do? What's the smart move?

The SC seat will be filled by a Trump nominee BEFORE the fall elections. Dem's will squeal like stuck pigs until then to no avail.

The SC seat will be filled by a Trump nominee BEFORE the fall elections. Dem's will squeal like stuck pigs until then to no avail.

Correct.

But squealing will not stop the confirmation and will damage the chances of their nominees. People like Schumer know this. I'm sure that he knows the smart move is to be polite, and help the Dems get more power. But the base would be livid.

I wonder if the confirmation vote will be held before the election. Even if the Dems take the Senate (unlikely), the lame-duck Pubs could still vote to confirm. This would put toss-up Dems on the hot seat, afraid to criticize or condemn the nominee.

I wonder if the confirmation vote will be held before the election. Even if the Dems take the Senate (unlikely), the lame-duck Pubs could still vote to confirm. This would put toss-up Dems on the hot seat, afraid to criticize or condemn the nominee.
I've wondered that as well. I think the GOP wants Dem votes on the record.

Correct.

But squealing will not stop the confirmation and will damage the chances of their nominees. People like Schumer know this. I'm sure that he knows the smart move is to be polite, and help the Dems get more power. But the base would be livid.

Schumer is one of the authors of the nuclear option, his chickens have come home to roost.

What strategy will be pursued by Chuck Schumer and Co in the confirmation hearings? Do they want to try to re-elect people like Heidi Heitkamp, Joe Manchin and Claire McCaskill? Or do they want to mollify an angry base? Can they try to do both?

There are eight Senate races which are now rated toss-ups. Assuming the other Senate races go as predicted the Dems need seven of eight to get control of the Senate. Even if they come up short it's obviously easier to pick off one vote or two than three or four. So every race is critical. I have to believe that acting like an ass in the confirmation hearings will not help with swing voters, or conservative voters who like the Dem nominee. But the Dem base is mad, mad, mad. "Betraying" them will not go well.

Whatever it takes to get out judgeship back, I hope. And anything that puts trumpscum in their place

harakiri-asano-jpg.20709

Putin wants to flip all 24 Democrat seat, leaving only Schumer.

Forum List

Back