Democratic Party now HATED by most Americans

It's interesting to see that lowest dip to 31% (for the RP) in 1999. That would be Lewinskygate.
The lowest dip was 28% for the GOP. And that was after the last government shutdown.

The lowest dip for Republicans on the graph is 28% between the end of 2013 and early 2014 ... Before they ran rough-shod over Democrats in the mid-term elections.

Oops, you are correct, missed that. OK second lowest.

So Lewinskygate and gummint shutdown are the two nadirs. What does that tell us? That people don't like gummint engaging in self-serving political onanism...?

The most defining trend in the graph is that both parties (although flourishing at times) have suffered considerable loss in favorability since 1992. That would suggest people in general just don't like "gummit" period.

Mais non -- it suggests that people in general don't like political parties. That's the element being polled about -- not government. Specifically these two political parties, which long ago outlived their utility.

And that is a good thing, albeit too gradual for my taste.

Since the existing control over government policy is generally held by the two parties ... You cannot separate the result from the method.

When other significant factors present themselves ... Then you may be able to take a more favorable stance towards applying the data to government separately. If you go as far as adding the third and forth most popular parties to the mix (Libertarians and Independents) ... Existing data suggests the government would actually score even lower.

36% "favorable" (or whatever level) says nothing about "hate" -- it says what it says: X% favorable. You're extrapolating.

I don't have a "favorable" view of the idea of political parties at all. That doesn't mean I "hate" them.

People don't like your filthy party, Huffer.

Butthurt_salve-1.png

It's interesting to see that lowest dip to 31% (for the RP) in 1999. That would be Lewinskygate.
The lowest dip was 28% for the GOP. And that was after the last government shutdown.

The lowest dip for Republicans on the graph is 28% between the end of 2013 and early 2014 ... Before they ran rough-shod over Democrats in the mid-term elections.

So Lewinskygate and gummint shutdown are the two nadirs. What does that tell us? That people don't like gummint engaging in self-serving political onanism...?

The most defining trend in the graph is that both parties (although flourishing at times) have suffered considerable loss in favorability since 1992. That would suggest people in general just don't like "gummit" period.

Mais non -- it suggests that people in general don't like political parties. That's the element being polled about -- not government. Specifically these two political parties, which long ago outlived their utility.

Since the existing control over government policy is generally held by the two parties ... You cannot separate the result from the method.

Of course you can, and you must. Otherwise you construct a Composition fallacy.

"I drive cars to get places. Cars generally run on gasoline. Therefore I can only get somewhere using gasoline"... Doesn't work. The poll doesn't ask about government; it asks about parties. They're two different things. Government is what they do when they're actually working. Party is what they do the rest of the time. Pun halfway intended.

"I drive cars to get places. Cars generally run on gasoline. Therefore I can only get somewhere using gasoline"... Doesn't work. The poll doesn't ask about government; it asks about parties. They're two different things.

You cannot say we don't need gasoline because all cars don't need it to run either.

Again ... I was talking about trending associated with the data on the graph ... Which doesn't in any way suggest Americans hold a more favorable view of government ... And very well would at least suggest the opposite could be investigated with similar conclusions.

Last edited:
Your graph shows significantly less favor for the Republicans than the Democrats over time. It also shows the Republican's lowest rating to be far below the Democrat's. Your comment that "Democrats now face the lowest ratings since Gallup began the poll in 1992 – just 36%" is false - or intentionally misworded. It could have said that they now face THEIR lowest ratings, but Republicans have been as low as 28% and recently. You noted that Dems were 24 points down from their high, yet Republicans at 28% were 27 points down from their high.

Thanks for the graph. As a democrat, it makes me feel a lot better.
yay my party is rated slightly better than the other guys.........are you proud of that 36%?........you should be appalled.......but yet you feel a lot better......

"I drive cars to get places. Cars generally run on gasoline. Therefore I can only get somewhere using gasoline"... Doesn't work. The poll doesn't ask about government; it asks about parties. They're two different things.

You cannot say we don't need gasoline because all cars don't need it to run.

No, and that would have zero to do with the point. Does not follow. At all.

Composition Fallacy:
Inferring that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole.
Logical Form:

A is part of B;

A has property X;

Therefore, B has property X.

Example #1:
Each brick in that building weighs less than a pound. Therefore, the building weighs less than a pound.

Example #2:
Hydrogen is not wet. Oxygen is not wet. Therefore, water (H2O) is not wet.

Example #3:
Your brain is made of molecules. Molecules do not have consciousness. Therefore, your brain cannot be the source of consciousness. (more ovah heah)

You're pushing A (political parties) into the realm of B (government). The poll did not ask about government; it asked about political parties.

"Political parties" means all that posturing pandering grandstanding bullshit we have to sit though while PPs try to get themselves into government. "Government" is what they do with the 2% of the time they have left over. Not only different things but very different things.

I think "hate" is too strong a word. However, I do think Democrats have finally been perceived as having overplayed identity politics which in turn has led to disenfranchisement of a significant number of centrists and independents.
Let's paint the whole picture. You have stated what you believe is the reason most Americans dislike the Democrats.

What do you believe is the reason most Americans dislike the Republicans? Why do you think Americans have disliked Republicans more than Democrats most of the time for the past 20 years?
Republicans suffered in popularity because the Democrats are the populist party. Yet populism invariably collapses from its own weight. Identity politics and populism have eventual consequences. Clinton was a master of politics and was able to avoid that trap. Obama is far less adept. He made the mistake of believing that his own arrogance would be uncontested, and with the help of equally inept Pelosi and Reid. The result of populism is rarely successful in the long term.

Composition Fallacy:
Inferring that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole.
Logical Form:

A is part of B;

A has property X;

Example #1:
Each brick in that building weighs less than a pound. Therefore, the building weighs less than a pound.

Example #2:

Example #3:
Your brain is made of molecules. Molecules do not have consciousness. Therefore, your brain cannot be the source of consciousness. (more ovah heah)

You're pushing A (political parties) into the realm of B (government). The poll did not ask about government; it asked about political parties.

"Political parties" means all that posturing pandering grandstanding bullshit we have to sit though while PPs try to get themselves into government. "Government" is what they do with the 2% of the time they have left over. Not only different things but very different things.

I looked it up ... And my assessment was supported by data compiled by the Pew Research Center.

http://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780199859214/student/chapter3/pdf/government.pdf

It is interesting where the graph indicates the greatest drop in favorability couple with a serious increase in unfavorability occurs at the Federal level and reduces at the state and local levels accordingly.

All levels show an increase in unfavorable ratings.

Composition Fallacy:
Logical Form:

A is part of B;

A has property X;

Example #1:

Example #2:

Example #3:

I looked it up ... And my assessment was supported by data compiled by the Pew Research Center.

http://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780199859214/student/chapter3/pdf/government.pdf

It is interesting where the graph indicates the greatest drop in favorability couple with a serious increase in unfavorability occurs at the Federal level and reduces at the state and local levels accordingly.

Perhaps so, and no doubt --- but your conclusion from the cited source was still invalid. It had no bridge.

I think "hate" is too strong a word. However, I do think Democrats have finally been perceived as having overplayed identity politics which in turn has led to disenfranchisement of a significant number of centrists and independents.
Let's paint the whole picture. You have stated what you believe is the reason most Americans dislike the Democrats.

What do you believe is the reason most Americans dislike the Republicans? Why do you think Americans have disliked Republicans more than Democrats most of the time for the past 20 years?
Republicans suffered in popularity because the Democrats are the populist party. Yet populism invariably collapses from its own weight. Identity politics and populism have eventual consequences. Clinton was a master of politics and was able to avoid that trap. Obama is far less adept. He made the mistake of believing that his own arrogance would be uncontested, and with the help of equally inept Pelosi and Reid. The result of populism is rarely successful in the long term.

So you are hoping that the Democrats will be disliked by everybody sometime in the future, but for now repubs are the most disliked. Come back and try again if things change.

Composition Fallacy:
Logical Form:

A is part of B;

A has property X;

Example #1:

Example #2:

Example #3:

Perhaps so, and no doubt --- but your conclusion from the cited source was still invalid. It had no bridge.

They are no more invalid than the conclusions you made regarding data not expressed in the questions asked on the original graph ... And in your comments I responded to.

The only difference is that I took the time and effort to find some data that supported my conclusions versus simply arguing with you through misdirected diversion tactics.

Republicans suffered in popularity because the Democrats are the populist party.

:laugh2:

That's the "because gifts" sour grapes hypothesis which is the current conventional wisdom in the GOP, and it is completely bogus.

Instead of Republicans trying to blame their failures on the other guy, it would serve them well to do some hard self-examination. That beam in their own eye while pointing out the mote in their neighbor's eye is exacerbating their willful blindness.

2luog5.jpg

The GOP just won a battle and they stupidly think they won the war.

Both parties are taking the whole country down with them.

Only a complete retard partisan hack would look at a poll which clearly demonstrates the utter contempt most people have for both parties and post, "LOOK HOW MUCH THEY HATE THE OTHER GUYS! WOO HOO!"

The Mainstream Media and the Obama White House have spent years trying to convince Americans Republicans were bad medicine. Jokes were made, lies were spread, and yet everything that was promised by Democrats has been proven false time and time again. This realization culminated in one of the most lopsided Midterm Elections in decades, where Democrats were pushed and replaced by a Republican majority in Congress. And now the latest Gallup poll reinforces the perception that Democrats are the most hated political party in America.

In fact, Democrats now face the lowest ratings since Gallup began the poll in 1992 – just 36%, a decline of six points in just the past year, and some 25 points since the Clinton era of the 1990’s.

Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and Barack Obama have ushered in the most unpopular period for the Democratic Party in a generation. Big Government, higher taxes, repeated lies and scandals have all taken a terrible (and deserved) toll on the party’s brand name. They are quite possibly the three most unpopular politicians in America today.

Look for the media to scramble to rebuild was it so obviously broken before the 2016 presidential race gets underway, a task that will prove a lot easier if Republicans fail to prove themselves worthy of the opportunity the voters have given them to repair the resulting damage of the Age of Obama…

4kueu0c9xeggazowak9t7g.png
with every possible thing for sale and all is corrupted by this whorish generations we all are, why would any of you buy or pay so dearly for this stupid made up propaganda? I see how Germany's once good people were so easily changed into demons. I see you all changing before my eyes. keep following those that have control of you mind body and soul. they are leading you to greener pastures. to be buried under.

Republicans suffered in popularity because the Democrats are the populist party.

:laugh2:

That's the "because gifts" sour grapes hypothesis which is the current conventional wisdom in the GOP, and it is completely bogus.

Instead of Republicans trying to blame their failures on the other guy, it would serve them well to do some hard self-examination. That beam in their own eye while pointing out the mote in their neighbor's eye is exacerbating their willful blindness.

2luog5.jpg
What a weird response.Is there something wrong with you?

People don't like your filthy party, Huffer.

They don't like either party.

And that's a promising trend.

For a comparator:
Bernie Sanders (Senator, no party): approval rating 67%
Angus King (Senator, no party) -- couldn't find numbers, but his fellow Mainiac Senator is at 61%, one of the highest rated in the country -- a Republican continually taken to task on this forum and elsewhere as a "RINO", as was Olympia Snowe, who King replaced there after Snowe got fed up with the partisan bullshit. She was overwhelmingly popular too.

Based on this short sample -- and we could certainly extend it -- it would seem what the populace really "hates" is blind partisanshit. Spelling intentional.

Forum List

Back