Demographic Shifts That Are Sinking The Republican Party

Yep. Fuck the GOP. I was a Republican until 2011. Then they went bizarre on me, and I'm laughing as I watch that party die a slow death.

Sure, they'll still win a few elections in the next 5-10 years. But their time is slowly slipping to the point they'll become a fringe movement.

Yeah, right. There's nothing more common on the internet than so-called "former Republicans" who talk like communist party apparatchiks. You're in the same club as Jake the Fake. I wouldn't feel proud.

Thus, over time, high-turnout seniors, currently the most conservative part of the electorate by age, will be liberalized as Baby Boomers age. Moreover, the most liberal part of the generation — those born up through 1955 and termed “early Boomers” — is frontloaded, so the political impact on the senior population could be fairly rapid.
So, the changing location, education levels, and age of the electorate suggest why the Republicans’ long-term disadvantages aren’t so bad as most people think. They’re worse.

The Hidden Demographic Shifts That Are Sinking The Republican Party | ThinkProgress

I think this is over-rated.

The Republican Party may have a few difficult years ahead, but the party will adapt like the population does.

Ideas and societal norms change over time, and parties change to reflect those shifts. What was politically acceptable 100 or 50 years ago by both parties often isn't politically acceptable today.

For example, in 10-20 years, gay marriage will be widely accepted in the Republican Party even if it isn't today. The math is simple. Most of the opposition is from old people. Most young people, conservative or liberal, support gay marriage. Eventually, the old people - and the opposition to gay marriage - will die away, and the young people who support gay marriage will become middle-aged and come to dominate the party.

Last edited:
Thus, over time, high-turnout seniors, currently the most conservative part of the electorate by age, will be liberalized as Baby Boomers age.

ROFLMAO! Exactly what century are you living in? must be the same one Joe Biden resides in since the baby boomers are already "SENIORS" or soon to be "SENIORS".... the vast bulk of the boomers were born between the end of 1945 (the peak birth rate) and 1958 (the fall off in boomer birth rates), do the math.

Historically people don't get more "liberal" as they age they get more "conservative", which probably explains why the Democrats are so desperate to import new citizens from 3rd world countries (the gub'mint run nanny state plantation apparently needs to import new blood to sucker into dependency).

"'Folks, where's it written we cannot lead the world in the 20th century in making automobiles" -- Joe Biden, August 2012

Once young people realize that the democrats are taking their money and giving it to someone else they will become conservatives. The only way democrats win is by keeping people poor which they are doing a very good (sic) job of doing.

Thus, over time, high-turnout seniors, currently the most conservative part of the electorate by age, will be liberalized as Baby Boomers age. Moreover, the most liberal part of the generation — those born up through 1955 and termed “early Boomers” — is frontloaded, so the political impact on the senior population could be fairly rapid.
So, the changing location, education levels, and age of the electorate suggest why the Republicans’ long-term disadvantages aren’t so bad as most people think. They’re worse.

The Hidden Demographic Shifts That Are Sinking The Republican Party | ThinkProgress

The Republican Party may have a few difficult years ahead, but the party will adapt like the population does.

Ideas and societal norms change over time, and parties change to reflect those shifts. What was politically acceptable 100 or 50 years ago by both parties often isn't politically acceptable today.

For example, in 10-20 years, gay marriage will be widely accepted in the Republican Party even if it isn't today. The math is simple. Most of the opposition is from old people. Most young people, conservative or liberal, support gay marriage. Eventually, the old people - and the opposition to gay marriage - will die away, and the young people who support gay marriage will become middle-aged and come to dominate the party.

Be cautious in taking what a democrat tells you as truth then arguing against their "truth."

Republicans own local governments. Republicans own the house. Republicans should take over the Senate. When Bush was in office the same thing was said about the democrats that they couldn't win an election. But the truth is that the only election they have been winning is POTUS which was pretty much a given and tells us nothing.

So once again the left is spinning tales of fantasy, don't honor them by giving it any validity it only deserves mocking.

Yep. Fuck the GOP. I was a Republican until 2011. Then they went bizarre on me, and I'm laughing as I watch that party die a slow death.

Sure, they'll still win a few elections in the next 5-10 years. But their time is slowly slipping to the point they'll become a fringe movement.
you are, of course, a liar. You were never a Republican unless you wish to cop to the idea that you were a progressive Republican, which means that the GOP didn't leave you. You simply lied to be in the party.

you are, of course, a liar. You were never a Republican unless you wish to cop to the idea that you were a progressive Republican, which means that the GOP didn't leave you. You simply lied to be in the party.

I love it when they say that the party left them. Kinda of like the train saying that the station left them as they pulled out.

I love it when they say that the party left them. Kinda of like the train saying that the station left them as they pulled out.
Very true.

Those who vote Democrat would love to see the entire country as 'successful' as Detroit.

Demographic shifts have nothing to do with the troubles in the republican party.

If you're having trouble with 100% of existing demographics, then however they happen to 'shift' is pretty irrelevant.

What?
HouseMapFinal.jpg

Baby, land doesn't vote, people do.

The demographics will change but the platforms of the parties can change even quicker.

Both parties will continue to divy up hot-button social issues, each taking opposing sides, and with those issues they will continue to confuse the masses into voting for one party or the other.

Meanwhile, on the economic issues that actually matter the duelopoly will do the MASTERS' bidding

wrong toro. the following statement is why the republicans will take control in november and 2016

" if you are not liberal when you are young,you have no heart, if you are not conservative when you get older, you have no brain"

the obama youth movement, will be 8 years older in 2016, they will have seen how liberalism has failed them, they want success in middle age. they will vote GOP.

"We lost because of demographic mathematics," said Morris, who famously predicted days before the November 2012 election that Mitt Romney would win in a landslide. Morris appeared before a room of at least 50 people at CPAC, one of the biggest annual conservative political gatherings, hosted by American Conservative Union.

To fix this problem, Morris urged Republicans to pass immigration reform immediately. Once the immigration issue is out of the way, he argued, Latinos would embrace the conservative values, switch sides and ultimately become "the salvation of the Republican Party."

But immigration reform, even with a path to citizenship that Morris supports, is not the tough sell to conservatives that it once was.

The harder sell came in his next prescription: Give up on Roe v. Wade.

Dick Morris Delivers Bad News To Republicans: Give Up On Roe V. Wade

If the republican party has any chance of winning they have to ditch the bible thumping kooks and teahadists

And this is NO problem for us progressives whites as the white christian population is losing its privilege. America will be become a better place with the best of all cultures, they only ones who will be the BIG losers in America are the bitter neo-confederates

US whites keep losing ground in historic demographic shift, Census figures show | Minnesota Public Radio News

Some numbers from RCP.
Obama approval rating 42%
Obama approval on the economy 40%
Obama on foreign policy also 40%
Approval for Obamacare 38%
Direction of the country wrong track 61%
Approval for congress because the left likes to throw this out and pretend like Democrats aren't part of congress 10%
Finally generic congressional ballot basically tied Democrats approval 41% Republican 40%
So this suggest the Republicans aren't as bad off as suggested for the record I take Think Progress as serious as source as the left here take something like The Blaze.

Did you call up the approval numbers on the Republican Party?

true, whats also true is that the pockets of poverty and high tax misery in this country are shown as blue on the map.

Really, the blue areas have the most disposable income and have higher educations and the homes of high tech innovations, I can tell you haven't traveled much or experienced much outside of you area, and with republicans attacking minorities and women demographics DO have a major role to play. Putting fingers in your ears and yelling does not, dose not change the facts:"Based on current rates of growth, whites in the under-5 group are expected to tip to a minority this year or next, Thomas Mesenbourg, the Census Bureau's acting director, said.

The government also projects that in five years, minorities will make up more than half of children under 18. Not long after, the total U.S. white population will begin an inexorable decline in absolute numbers, due to aging baby boomers."

Last edited:

true, whats also true is that the pockets of poverty and high tax misery in this country are shown as blue on the map.

Really, the blue areas have the most disposable income and have higher educations and the homes of high tech innovations, I can tell you haven't traveled much or experienced much outside of you area, and with republicans attacking minorities and women demographics DO have a major role to play. Putting fingers in your ears and yelling does not, dose not change the facts

sorry dude, but I have traveled and lived in many parts of the USA and several foreign countries. I know first hand what works and what doesn't.

I lived in detroit before the dems, unions, and minorities took over, it was a great vibrant city, now it is a shithole of liberal failure.

California is broke because of libtard polciies, they will soon be begging DC for a bailout. the northeast has the highest taxes in the country and those states and cities are still in deficits.

you are right that some blue areas have high incomes, but if you have to give it all to the government, what good is it?

wrong toro. the following statement is why the republicans will take control in november and 2016

" if you are not liberal when you are young,you have no heart, if you are not conservative when you get older, you have no brain"

the obama youth movement, will be 8 years older in 2016, they will have seen how liberalism has failed them, they want success in middle age. they will vote GOP.

And those kids today will still support gay marriage when they're 30 years old.

Younger people have always been more progressive than older people. For example, older people held more racist views when they were younger than young people hold today. Young people were more likely to oppose inter-racial marriage 40 years ago than young people do today.

Generally, young people don't change their social mores as they age. Instead, as they age, society changes.

After gay marriage becomes law in a few years and our society does not come crashing down, Republicans will claim that they never opposed gay marriage, they just thought it was a state issue

And those kids today will still support gay marriage when they're 30 years old.

Younger people have always been more progressive than older people. For example, older people held more racist views when they were younger than young people hold today. Young people were more likely to oppose inter-racial marriage 40 years ago than young people do today.

Generally, young people don't change their social mores as they age. Instead, as they age, society changes.

Why is gay marriage such a big issue with you libs? Why is the word "marriage" so critical?

I know the reason, its not about equality and tolerance its about government forced societal change. Thats the objection from many on the right, the govt telling us what we MUST believe. Thats not freedom, thats tyranny. But you lefties are OK with tyranny when it is forciing your views on everyone else, wonder how you would feel if it was reversed i.e. be careful what you wish for, those in power can change over time.

Forum List

Back