Dems kill God

When there is nothing left to cling to, when you have reached to end of the line, perhaps you might have regrets for believing as you do.

It's obvious the Dems would rather not have to fool with God or any of that religious stuff. ;)

You mean, it's obvious the majority of Dems would rather leave God out of government entirely, as it should be and as the founding fathers intended.

No, the founding fathers didn't intend that at all.

Lying, anti-Christian pigot.

The idea of a republic is anti-Christian?

:eusa_eh:

Joeb has never read the Bible. His views are formed from what communist web sites tell him "Christians" are like.

The "Congregational" structure of Thessalonians is a Republic. Paul was an educated man and clearly modeled it after the Greek ideals of Republican government. Paul had read Plato and Socrates.

Joeb is a Bolshevik of the class known as "useful idiots."

Horseshit.

Besides the fact I could probably beat you hands down in a bible knowledge contest (seriously, a lot of you guys don't read what's in your own holy book) fact is, Constatitine "picked" Christianity as a state religion because it supported the concept of an absolute Monarchy.

And then he picked which books were going to be in the BIble. And the guy was still a Pagan at the time.

The idea of a republic is anti-Christian?

:eusa_eh:

Joeb has never read the Bible. His views are formed from what communist web sites tell him "Christians" are like.

The "Congregational" structure of Thessalonians is a Republic. Paul was an educated man and clearly modeled it after the Greek ideals of Republican government. Paul had read Plato and Socrates.

Joeb is a Bolshevik of the class known as "useful idiots."

Horseshit.

Besides the fact I could probably beat you hands down in a bible knowledge contest (seriously, a lot of you guys don't read what's in your own holy book) fact is, Constatitine "picked" Christianity as a state religion because it supported the concept of an absolute Monarchy.

And then he picked which books were going to be in the BIble. And the guy was still a Pagan at the time.

Thank you Joe, for giving me the opportunity to show everyone what an ignorant liar you really are.

While Constantine had pagan influences throughout his life, it is the consensus of opinion that his Christianity held sway from his teenage years, an influence of his mother. In his battle with Maxentius in 315, outnumbered 2 to 1, the shields of his army were marked with the Christian cross, an heretofore unknown marking in the annals of Roman legions. Maxentius lost, and was drowned that day in the Tiber River along with a large portion of his army.

Constantine didn't pick the books of the Bible, either. That would have been the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD. Granted, they convened during his reign, but he left the bishops to their work and had no hand in their deliberations or decisions. That took place in Turkey while Constantine remained in Rome. He had very little theological knowledge actually, his motivation was a unified Church, regardless of whose opinions held sway.

Constantine was a cunning, manipulative and ambitious soldier and politician before he was Emperor. He used Christianity because he correctly deduced that Paganism would not survive much longer now that the Empire had largely been converted away from it. He essentially went with the flow of the times and made the best of it while also amassing a great amount of wealth and political capital as well. Contrary to popular belief, he himself did not follow the religion faithfully which would explain his lack of theological knowledge. There are even some reports that he was only actually baptized many years later in his reign when on his deathbed mere minutes before he died.

He may have put on a convincing act that he was a pious follower of Christ, but history says otherwise.

Constantine was a cunning, manipulative and ambitious soldier and politician before he was Emperor. He used Christianity because he correctly deduced that Paganism would not survive much longer now that the Empire had largely been converted away from it. He essentially went with the flow of the times and made the best of it while also amassing a great amount of wealth and political capital as well. Contrary to popular belief, he himself did not follow the religion faithfully which would explain his lack of theological knowledge. There are even some reports that he was only actually baptized many years later in his reign when on his deathbed mere minutes before he died.

He may have put on a convincing act that he was a pious follower of Christ, but history says otherwise.

Where did I say he was a 'good' Christian?

He wasn't much different than the politicians that 'claim' Christianity today, IMHO.

Where did I say he was a 'good' Christian?

He wasn't much different than the politicians that 'claim' Christianity today, IMHO.

Where did I accuse you of saying he was a "good" Christian? I merely expanded on your post, that's all really.

I happen to agree completely. He was the consummate career politician of his time. He would fit right in at Washington, when he's not having political enemies killed.

When there is nothing left to cling to, when you have reached to end of the line, perhaps you might have regrets for believing as you do.

It's obvious the Dems would rather not have to fool with God or any of that religious stuff. ;)

You mean, it's obvious the majority of Dems would rather leave God out of government entirely, as it should be and as the founding fathers intended.

Sweetie, the Dems are not the government. This has to do with the Dem platform, you know the party that boos God. This has nothing to do with government.

Yes the government doesn't need to endorse any religion, however the PARTY platform wants him out. Admit it, Dems don't want to mess with God or any of that religious stuff.

Thank you Joe, for giving me the opportunity to show everyone what an ignorant liar you really are.

While Constantine had pagan influences throughout his life, it is the consensus of opinion that his Christianity held sway from his teenage years, an influence of his mother. In his battle with Maxentius in 315, outnumbered 2 to 1, the shields of his army were marked with the Christian cross, an heretofore unknown marking in the annals of Roman legions. Maxentius lost, and was drowned that day in the Tiber River along with a large portion of his army.

Constantine didn't pick the books of the Bible, either. That would have been the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD. Granted, they convened during his reign, but he left the bishops to their work and had no hand in their deliberations or decisions. That took place in Turkey while Constantine remained in Rome. He had very little theological knowledge actually, his motivation was a unified Church, regardless of whose opinions held sway.

So after calling me ignorant, you admitted I was right.....

Point is, how did the Council of Nicea really know which books were the right books to pick? How did they know which of the 200 Gospels that were in circulation, how did they manage to get that list down to four that still massively contradict each other.

No, I give Constantine credit for what he was doing. The Roman Empire had essentially just undergone 100 years of civil war and military dictatorship as each factional group kept declaring its own emperor and marching on Rome. And this had been going on since Commedus was assasinated in a much less cool way than Russel Crowe did it.

You see, the thing was, that even though the Principitate was a dictatorship of a sort, Rome still called itself a "Republic" and still operated in an oligarchic fashion. It was rare for fathers to pass down the empire to sons. Constantine sought to chance all of that by creating a notion of Emperor who ruled by grace of God, and Christianity was the religion that really kind of rationalized that.

Of course, the Dark Ages, the first "Faith Based Iniative" quickly followed after Christians decided all that Pagan knowledge was heretical.

And keep in mind, at the time he converted, Christianity was only about 10% of the population of the Empire. The real problem for him was unifying it under a single set of beliefs. In addition to the "Orthodox Catholic" version endorsed by Rome, you had Arianism, Monophysitism and a bunch of other "Heresies" (i.e. different opinions about the nature of Jesus and what he stood for) that had to be stamped out.

Christians killed more Christians than the pagans ever threw to lions.

And keep in mind, at the time he converted, Christianity was only about 10% of the population of the Empire. The real problem for him was unifying it under a single set of beliefs. In addition to the "Orthodox Catholic" version endorsed by Rome, you had Arianism, Monophysitism and a bunch of other "Heresies" (i.e. different opinions about the nature of Jesus and what he stood for) that had to be stamped out.

Christians killed more Christians than the pagans ever threw to lions.

Astute point. Iconoclasm was also a huge problem for early Christian Rome and Constantinople, something that Constantine and his heirs ruthlessly, but efficiently eradicated. I personally consider Theodosius I to be the first true Christian emperor. He was a deeply devout man.

Without the purges of these heresies though, The Greek Orthodox Church as we know it today, would not exist and Constantinople may have either relapsed into Paganism or even succumbed even faster and easier into Islamic control after the Palaiologos dynasty failed to hold the empire together some 1000 years after Constantine's death.

Sweetie, the Dems are not the government. This has to do with the Dem platform, you know the party that boos God. This has nothing to do with government.

Yes the government doesn't need to endorse any religion, however the PARTY platform wants him out. Admit it, Dems don't want to mess with God or any of that religious stuff.

I'd rather belong to the party that boos god than the one that [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuqFkbLkST4"]boos a soldier[/ame]...

So after calling me ignorant, you admitted I was right.....

Point is, how did the Council of Nicea really know which books were the right books to pick? How did they know which of the 200 Gospels that were in circulation, how did they manage to get that list down to four that still massively contradict each other.

No, I give Constantine credit for what he was doing. The Roman Empire had essentially just undergone 100 years of civil war and military dictatorship as each factional group kept declaring its own emperor and marching on Rome. And this had been going on since Commedus was assasinated in a much less cool way than Russel Crowe did it.

You see, the thing was, that even though the Principitate was a dictatorship of a sort, Rome still called itself a "Republic" and still operated in an oligarchic fashion. It was rare for fathers to pass down the empire to sons. Constantine sought to chance all of that by creating a notion of Emperor who ruled by grace of God, and Christianity was the religion that really kind of rationalized that.

Of course, the Dark Ages, the first "Faith Based Iniative" quickly followed after Christians decided all that Pagan knowledge was heretical.

Joe, the Council of Nicaea did the 'book picking', not Constantine. You can claim it all you want but you're wrong.

As to HOW they picked them, I would imagine through discussion and deliberation, wouldn't you? I mean, isn't that what councils do?

I'd rather belong to the party that boos god than the one that [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuqFkbLkST4"]boos a soldier[/ame]...

Which party is that?????

Sounded like one or maybe two jerks.

Probably Democrat plants in the crowd.

The boo that was heard was not roundly accepted.

Also, I think that soldier was flexing his bicep a bit too much for my tastes. If I wanted to be taken to the gun show I'll ask for it. I would have booed that for sure.

Last edited:

Which party is that?????

Sounded like one or maybe two jerks.

Probably Democrat plants in the crowd.

The boo that was heard was not roundly accepted.

Also, I think that soldier was flexing his bicep a bit too much for my tastes. If I wanted to be taken to the gun show I'll ask for it. I would have booed that for sure.

Relax...we actually know they weren't booing a soldier...they were booing the fag and that's okay.

So's booing god.

Forum List

Back