Demtroit: Progressive Mecca on Earth

Unions ran the industries and dictated wages, benefits, and working conditions.

Liberal Democrats ran the government.

What could go wrong?

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...pal-bankruptcy-in-us-history/?test=latestnews

Detroit files for largest municipal bankruptcy in US history

Published July 18, 2013
FoxNews.com

Detroit filed for the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history Thursday after steep population and tax base declines sent it tumbling toward insolvency.

The filing by a state-appointed emergency manager means that if the bankruptcy filing is approved, city assets could be liquidated to satisfy demands for payment.

Kevin Orr, a bankruptcy expert, was hired by the state in March to lead Detroit out of a fiscal free-fall and made the filing Thursday in federal bankruptcy court.

The filing leads to a 30 to 90 day period that will determine whether or not the city of Detroit is eligible for Chapter 9 protection, and define the number of claimants who may compete for Detroit’s limited settlement resources. The petition seeks protection from unions and creditors who are renegotiating $18.5 billion in debt and liabilities, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Detroit lost a quarter-million residents between 2000 and 2010. A population that in the 1950s reached 1.8 million is struggling to stay above 700,000. Much of the middle-class and scores of businesses also have fled Detroit, taking their tax dollars with them.

Last edited:
Detroit voted heavily for Obama, who promised change, and change they have.... I don't understand what Detroit people are complaining about... they are getting exactly what they voted for.

Whoops, it's Chapter 9, not Chapter 11.

Does declaring Chapter 9 bankruptcy, mean they can now cancel out of their union contracts?

If so, that could be the biggest step toward the city getting back on its feet.

OP- RW idiocy... More like a monument to bad management and racism...

Dusters and Demons were just fastback Valiants and Darts. My first new car was a '66 Dart GT with 273 4bbl 273 with Hurst positraction and nothing else. Scary if I had known it. Also had a $200 '64 convertible with slant 6 pushbutton- indestructible. Wouldn't mind one of the new Alfa-Darts. Reliability hugely reformed since my '68 1300 GT Junior- never passed. No more magnesium oil coolers as suspension stop either...

Detroit--------how years of liberal control and unions can destroy a once great city.

pay attention liberals, this is your vision for the entire country.

Wake up people, before its too late.

Detroit--------how years of liberal control and unions can destroy a once great city.

pay attention liberals, this is your vision for the entire country.

Wake up people, before its too late.

STFU no one wants you to mention LBJ's model city of the future...We just had to wait and "see" what happens or "pass this bill so we can see whats in it"

Dusters and Demons were just fastback Valiants and Darts. My first new car was a '66 Dart GT with 273 4bbl 273 with Hurst positraction and nothing else. Scary if I had known it. Also had a $200 '64 convertible with slant 6 pushbutton- indestructible. Wouldn't mind one of the new Alfa-Darts. Reliability hugely reformed since my '68 1300 GT Junior- never passed. No more magnesium oil coolers as suspension stop either...

bad management---yes

union greed----yes

democrat control----yes

racism---no

Detroit has been controlled by black democrats for years, no racism there unless you are talking about black racism against whites.

Yes Detroit was done in by bad Democrat management and it was deliberate too

Every UAW pensioner should either live in Detroit or forego their UAW pension

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Forum List

Back