Dept. of Justice seize phone numbers even private calls from 100's of reporters

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
In an unprecedented violation of the 1st amendment, Holder and the Dept. of Justice siphoned thousands of phone calls incoming and outgoing of Associated Press reporters.
Many of the calls are believed to be private cell phones.

Can you say Gestapo?
This administration is out of control. Once again, it matters not what your political affiliation is - DO YOU WANT A GOVERNMENT THAT DOES THIS???

In a letter of protest sent to Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday, AP President and Chief Executive Officer Gary Pruitt said the government sought and obtained information far beyond anything that could be justified by any specific investigation. He demanded the return of the phone records and destruction of all copies.

"There can be no possible justification for such an over-broad collection of the telephone communications of The Associated Press and its reporters. These records potentially reveal communications with confidential sources across all of the news gathering activities undertaken by the AP during a two-month period, provide a road map to AP's news gathering operations and disclose information about AP's activities and operations that the government has no conceivable right to know," Pruitt said.

Read more: Lawmakers rip Justice Department over AP phone records grab | Fox News

Last edited:
It's not a violation of the 1st Amendment. The GOP's pet project, the Patriot Act, made it legal. Remember that?

It's not a violation of the 1st Amendment. The GOP's pet project, the Patriot Act, made it legal. Remember that?

That does not mean it is not a violation of the first amendment or do you not understand how this works?

The patriot act, AFAIK, has not been ruled on by the high court yet specifically because no one had standing. This might be something useful tbh, a reason to bring this into court if it really is connected with the patriot act.

Anyway, the legality of it is NOT the point. Something might currently be legal and still be wrong. This was outright wrong and scary. The government has no right to do this type of shit.

A federal judge in Detroit says the Bush administration's domestic wiretap program violates both federal law and the Constitution and orders the warrantless suveillance program shut down. The ruling is the first definitive response to a barrage of legal suits. The Justice Department will appeal. In the meantime, both sides in the suit agree to a hold on the order to shut down the program.

Bush's Wiretaps Ruled Unconstitutional : NPR

A federal judge in Detroit says the Bush administration's domestic wiretap program violates both federal law and the Constitution and orders the warrantless suveillance program shut down. The ruling is the first definitive response to a barrage of legal suits. The Justice Department will appeal. In the meantime, both sides in the suit agree to a hold on the order to shut down the program.

Nice job linking to an overturned case…
Michigan news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
In a 2-1 vote, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati said that the plaintiffs, which included local Muslim and Arab-American groups, could not prove they have been harmed by a National Security Agency spying program created in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Oh look, they basically ruled they had no standing.

Welcome to Obama's "new" America. I would compare his defenders to useful idiots, but that would be insulting to idiots.

In a 2-1 vote, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati said that the plaintiffs, which included local Muslim and Arab-American groups, could not prove they have been harmed by a National Security Agency spying program created in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

So you are defending the unPatriot Act ?

No, he just pointed out your dishonesty.

Just incredible.
I don't believe since FDR have Americans so blindly defended a Presidential administration.
I didn't really think that Obama supporters would still do nothing but attempt to deflect and ignore such egregious disregard and try and paint it on the other party.
F*ck you idiots, why don't you just all go out and buy Obama uniforms, create a new flag and elect him dear leader forever.
Jesus....I thought this might wake some people up.
But no.

That does not mean it is not a violation of the first amendment or do you not understand how this works?

The patriot act, AFAIK, has not been ruled on by the high court yet specifically because no one had standing. This might be something useful tbh, a reason to bring this into court if it really is connected with the patriot act.

Anyway, the legality of it is NOT the point. Something might currently be legal and still be wrong. This was outright wrong and scary. The government has no right to do this type of shit.

You're right. It may turn out to be un-Constitutional, but it until that happens, it is still the law of the land and technically Constitutional.

Of course, it's been going on since the Patriot Act became law, so why are you just now becoming concerned and outraged about it?

Just incredible.
I don't believe since FDR have Americans so blindly defended a Presidential administration.
I didn't really think that Obama supporters would still do nothing but attempt to deflect and ignore such egregious disregard and try and paint it on the other party.
F*ck you idiots, why don't you just all go out and buy Obama uniforms, create a new flag and elect him dear leader forever.
Jesus....I thought this might wake some people up.
But no.

No kidding, these guys never say a bad word about the regime. It's amazing, and it's funny how they are not consistant on any issue.

LOL.

Hell no. I agree with the first judge BUT the ruling that you pointed out has been overturned and, therefore, is a moot ruling. It essentially does not exist.

I don’t agree with the patriot act BUT it is currently legal. If you look at my first post, the only good thing that may come about because of this might be the ability to finally claim standing. I don’t see how they could not state they were harmed as now there will always be a question in a ‘sources’ mind as to whether or not the government is recording the conversation.

IMHO, the patriot act is CLEARLY against the constitution but the courts so far have shown they don’t agree. It is really pathetic.

You're right. It may turn out to be un-Constitutional, but it until that happens, it is still the law of the land and technically Constitutional.

Of course, it's been going on since the Patriot Act became law, so why are you just now becoming concerned and outraged about it?

Check your hackery at the fucking door. You are leveling baseless bullshit claims at me. I have vehemently opposed the patriot act here on this board since I joined and have opposed it since its inception. This is what happens when you simply assume bullshit about a poster.

That claim is a cowardly one.

Forum List

Back