DeSantis Supports Florida's New School Curriculum That Calls Slavery a 'Benefit' for Black Americans

Over the past couple of years, Florida, led by Republican Governor Ron DeSantis, has passed several controversial pieces of legislation.

The most recent was approved on May 29, 2024, which states that Florida's public schools will now teach a curriculum that claims Black Americans actually benefited from slavery.

You can't make this ish up folks.

Please tell me some of the benefits black rec'd from slavery.
The story is oddly formatted making it difficult to read.

But eventually you can find it. Their source is the national education association which claims:

Officials from the Florida State Board of Education recently released a new history standard that has caused an uproar in the education community. The standard includes controversial language that claims, ā€œslaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.ā€

Hm. Now the question becomes: what are they quoting? What is their alleged ā€œsource?ā€

Well, they donā€™t say.

But a little further digging led to this:

IMG_1047.jpeg

See: https://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/20653/urlt/6-4.pdf

The full
Floridaā€™s State Academic Standards ā€“
Social Studies, 2023 are simply a fairly well detailed and much more realistic set of educational objectives to better (and more accurately) teach the subject.

Taken very much out of context (as the OP predictably does), I confess it looks bad. That doesnā€™t mean that in some respects, it isnā€™t true.

If some nation takes us over and enslaves some of us and makes us learn skills we never had before, slavery is still awful. But that doesnā€™t mean we couldnā€™t have learned some new skills which ā€œcouldā€ theoretically benefit us in certain circumstances.

Iā€™m fine with the argument that the particular standard is maybe better left out. But there is very little valid reason to get all worked up about it.

But eventually you can find it. Their source is the national education association which claims:

Hm. Now the q question becomes: what are they quoting? What is their alleged ā€œsource?ā€

Well, they donā€™t say.

View attachment 963862

The full
Social Studies, 2023 are simply a fairly well detailed and much more realistic set of educational objectives to better (and more accurately) teach the subject.

Taken very much out of context (as the OP predictably does), I confess it looks bad.
That doesnā€™t mean that in some respects, it isnā€™t true.

If some nation takes us over and enslaves some of us and makes us learn skills we never had before, slavery is still awful. But that doesnā€™t mean we couldnā€™t have learned some new skills which ā€œcouldā€ theoretically benefit us in certain circumstances.

Iā€™m fine with the argument that the particular standard is maybe better left out. But there is very little valid reason to get all worked up about it.
better left out.

Hm. Now the question becomes: what are they quoting? What is their alleged ā€œsource?ā€

Well, they donā€™t say.

View attachment 963862

The full

Taken very much out of context (as the OP predictably does), I confess it looks bad. That doesnā€™t mean that in some respects, it isnā€™t true.

Most of these folks who were taken into bondage already had skills, it's amazing how arrogant white folks are to believe that they created and invented everything in the damn world.

Most of these folks who were taken into bondage already had skills, it's amazing how arrogant white folks are to believe that they created and invented everything in the damn world.
I would assume they did have some skills. I also imagine that there are numerous other skills they didnā€™t yet have.

Your own ignorance about white ā€œfolksā€œ
is on display as usual.

Some blacks don't seem grateful for the job training their ancestors received when they got here.

The struggle to survive in Africa is a very weak argument. It is an unfortunate circumstance but with eventual benefits. You wouldn't simply subsist on hunting and gathering like a simple flower child gathering marijuana buds. Even today, wars rage all over Africa. Since 2000 62,000 Nigerians have been killed by other Nigerians. The wars are between gangs, tribes and religions.

Have you seen an American black standing next to an African black? The American could snap that man like a toothpick. The descendants of slaves are HUGE. They are the crowning sports figures. Africans run fast. American black men are still reaping the benefits of the careful breeding programs of the old slavers.
In my line of work, some guys work off the west coast of Africa, mostly out of Nigeria. Talking with a couple of black coworkers who had worked over there for a time, they told me that African blacks don't look on African Americans as equals. They consider black Americans as "watered down".

I said "Huh, imagine going all the way to Africa to run into racism."

No dumbass, I have been on the receiving end of hate and racism.
And no doubt some have been on the receiving end of your hate and racism. But you never experienced Jim Crow laws at least in any way that seriously harmed you. You have never experienced slavery. You have been born in a nation in which by law and the Constitution you have equal rights, choices, options, and opportunity as every other American.

Some people choose to accept that fact and take advantage of those rights, choices, options and opportunities to live and love and prosper and have a great life.

And some spew hate and racism.

Over the past couple of years, Florida, led by Republican Governor Ron DeSantis, has passed several controversial pieces of legislation.

The most recent was approved on May 29, 2024, which states that Florida's public schools will now teach a curriculum that claims Black Americans actually benefited from slavery.

You can't make this ish up folks.

Please tell me some of the benefits black rec'd from slavery.
Have you been to a plantation that had slaves on it?
They learned farming. They learned how to deal with trees. They learned how to handle livestock. Slavery was not a zero sum game. Some of the slaves left with actual ability to earn livings. Actually in Florida, a pair of blacks in the book field came up with the blacks got benefits idea. Thank god for those blacks.

And no doubt some have been on the receiving end of your hate and racism. But you never experienced Jim Crow laws at least in any way that seriously harmed you. You have never experienced slavery. You have been born in a nation in which by law and the Constitution you have equal rights, choices, options, and opportunity as every other American.

Some people choose to accept that fact and take advantage of those rights, choices, options and opportunities to live and love and prosper and have a great life.

And some spew hate and racism.
It's amazing how a white boy can tell a black man what he has or hasn't experienced šŸ¤”. I came up at the back end of Jim Crow are you going to tell me life was great for black folks during that time. You must think I am Bootlicking Donald's, I wish arrogant white folks like you could experience those days.

Forum List

Back