🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

DeVos Confirmed

Why do teachers feel it's there place to teach their political ideas on their students.
If your hired to teach math, then teach math, same for other classes.
Let parents teach life to their own kids, not teachers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betsy DeVos has been confirmed as education secretary with VP Mike Pence casting the tie breaking vote. She was the one the Democrats really wanted to defeat the most now that they failed I wonder if this will stop the dragging their feet on cabinet nominees?

The Dems have no power and they know it.

They should think more about being considered by their constituents for the 2018 elections than obstructing everything Trump does.

America is watching them in action.

Stopping Trump is a national security issue.

As a teacher I am extremely disappointed. The fact that she is a republican or basically brought her position doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that she has 0% experience in education and never taught a day in her life.

In the end our children will suffer.

You're a teachers union advocate or union boss are you not?

National Education Association General Counsel Bob Chanin stated in July 2009.

Chanin: "It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues...."

Says it all, does it not?

Betsy DeVos has been confirmed as education secretary with VP Mike Pence casting the tie breaking vote. She was the one the Democrats really wanted to defeat the most now that they failed I wonder if this will stop the dragging their feet on cabinet nominees?

GREAT, GREAT NEWS! For the children, terrible news for the teachers unions!

It's terrible news for children, teachers, schools, education, facts, and ultimately, our future.

They should think more about being considered by their constituents for the 2018 elections than obstructing everything Trump does.

16265806_701937899983985_8625076220324211344_n.jpg

I agree that public school system needs some changes. But hiring someone who doesn't have clue teaching or education isn't the solution.

DeVos doesn't even want to make public schools better. She wants to get rid of them altogether. She's a staunch advocate of charter schools but many of them are worse than public schools.

Oh really?

A new study of charter schools shows that they are making a meaningful difference for underserved kids in many of our nation’s cities, but it also highlights new challenges for the movement.

Researchers at Stanford University’s Center for Research on Education Outcomes, or CREDO, released the new report yesterday, which looks at the impact of charter schools in 41 urban areas. The researchers used a rigorous research design that compares learning gains for students enrolled in charter schools to those of similar students in traditional public schools in their districts.

On net, the findings are good news for charter schools: Across the 41 cities studied, students in charter schools learned significantly more than their peers attending traditional public schools – 40 more days worth of learning in math, and 28 more in reading.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowl...charter-schools-making-a-difference-in-cities

Somebody is scared and protecting their job.

I do not teach in a public school. I haven't taught in one for about 4 years now. So I'm not afraid of losing my job.

I admit public schools need changes, but getting rid of them completely doesn't solve the problem. Charter schools can be more selective on what kind of students they have. Public schools cannot. So some charter schools may perform better than the average public school. Once you start allowing more kids into charter schools, you will wind up with the same problem as public schools.

I agree that charter schools help underprivileged children who excel but cannot afford private school. However, it doesn't solve the core issue with the average public school student.

The issue is that Americans as a whole have to start viewing education more seriously and learning needs to be put back on the student. In places in Japan and India, students are held accountable for their grades. There's no blaming of teachers and their parents do not accept anything below a A. I can't tell you how many times I've had students who didn't do homework, absent at least once a week got an F and then their parents come to me whining about their child failing.

Secondly, teachers should have more qualifications and it should be treated like the medical field . In Finland teaches need to have a masters degree to teach. This ensures that the teacher is highly qualified and is able to give his or her students a quality education.

Shunning public schools and stuffing kids in charter schools isn't the answer.

Nah. Its just the actions of a bunch of sore losers who better get themselves on the ball if they want to hang onto their cushy Congressional seats come 2018.

View attachment 111221

Holy shit. Who the hell wear something like that???

Must be a dumbass and a half.

Nah. Its just the actions of a bunch of sore losers who better get themselves on the ball if they want to hang onto their cushy Congressional seats come 2018.

This "we won" bullshit from you Trumpanzees is getting old.

Guess what? WE ALL lose.

Why do teachers feel it's there place to teach their political ideas on their students.
If your hired to teach math, then teach math, same for other classes.
Let parents teach life to their own kids, not teachers

Your post shows how dangerously clueless you right-wingers truly are. Nearly 40 years of Republicans destroying education and not emphasizing critical thinking skills have done this for you.

Teachers don't decide what children should be taught in schools. That's done by your State Education Department, not the teachers. Most states are controlled by Republicans, so the kids are being taught what your state leaders are telling them to teach.

Republicans want to end public education and everything they want to end, they make so bad that people want to get rid of it.

As a teacher I am extremely disappointed. The fact that she is a republican or basically brought her position doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that she has 0% experience in education and never taught a day in her life.

They will do no worse than they already are. And really, who cares if she has no experience in education? She will not be in the classroom educating kids. What she will do is allow a competitive system whereby people who do have experience can innovate and be rewarded, with the hope that positive changes will spread throughout the country, instead of the same old crap dictated by a top-down bureaucracy.

Actually DeVos has a lot of experience in education but not teaching. Which, given the level of education in so many government schools is a good thing!

Guess what? WE ALL lose.

Nah. Only a sore loser like you will lose. The rest of America will win big time.

Oh and I seem to recall douchebag telling the Reps that more than once. LOL

Have you ever heard the phrase, "to close to the problem to see the solution?"

We know that the status quo is not working. There comes a time when someone from outside the educational cronyism is the only solution. She may not be a good choice, but we know for sure that being close to education and knowing education hasn't worked.

View attachment 111221

Not singular. Thousands of leftards thought it was a great idea and accomplished their goals.
upload_2017-2-7_10-25-18.png

upload_2017-2-7_10-25-29.png

upload_2017-2-7_10-25-41.png

upload_2017-2-7_10-26-3.png

upload_2017-2-7_10-26-54.png

Guess what? WE ALL lose.
:itsok:

View attachment 111221

Not singular. Thousands of leftards thought it was a great idea and accomplished their goals.
View attachment 111224
View attachment 111225
View attachment 111226
View attachment 111227
View attachment 111228

Good Lord I guess it confirms that there are some insane folks out there.

Insane and batshit crazy to boot.

"Elections have consequences"

Our children suffer now. The US spends more than any nation on education and have the poorest results to show for it. The best thing we can do for our children is to pay our teachers based on merit!

Not all the teacher's fault...in my humble opinion.

They can't discipline, they can't throw students out of school, they have to teach to the level of the slowest student in class boring all the others to tears.

Not a single person opposed to school choice has been able to explain why low and middle-income parents should not have the same choice of schools as do higher middle and upper-income parents. Why do you suppose that is?

Thank you Mike Pence and good to see they Republicans who need to be defeated, without losing a confirmation!

Another stinging loss for the democrats.

Tillerson.....confirmed
Devoss..confirmed

Maybe one day democrats will get their heads out of their asses, but keep protesting and blocking everything........er Trying to block everything. Lolololololololol

This isn't a loss for Democrats. It's a loss for every student in America. This woman is not only unqualified, she's uneducated, and can't form a proper sentence. Much like her boss.

If you think this appointment is a good choice, you're more interested in sticking it to Democrats than with fixing education problems.

Sure, she,wasnt a teacher, but you dont need to be one to run the dept.

She is in charge to put a voucher system in place and to roll back common core.

To mock her education is a joke, ive heard her speak, she is very intelligent

I agree that public school system needs some changes. But hiring someone who doesn't have clue teaching or education isn't the solution.

DeVos doesn't even want to make public schools better. She wants to get rid of them altogether. She's a staunch advocate of charter schools but many of them are worse than public schools.

Oh really?

A new study of charter schools shows that they are making a meaningful difference for underserved kids in many of our nation’s cities, but it also highlights new challenges for the movement.

Researchers at Stanford University’s Center for Research on Education Outcomes, or CREDO, released the new report yesterday, which looks at the impact of charter schools in 41 urban areas. The researchers used a rigorous research design that compares learning gains for students enrolled in charter schools to those of similar students in traditional public schools in their districts.

On net, the findings are good news for charter schools: Across the 41 cities studied, students in charter schools learned significantly more than their peers attending traditional public schools – 40 more days worth of learning in math, and 28 more in reading.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowl...charter-schools-making-a-difference-in-cities

Somebody is scared and protecting their job.

I do not teach in a public school. I haven't taught in one for about 4 years now. So I'm not afraid of losing my job.

I admit public schools need changes, but getting rid of them completely doesn't solve the problem. Charter schools can be more selective on what kind of students they have. Public schools cannot. So some charter schools may perform better than the average public school. Once you start allowing more kids into charter schools, you will wind up with the same problem as public schools.

I agree that charter schools help underprivileged children who excel but cannot afford private school. However, it doesn't solve the core issue with the average public school student.

The issue is that Americans as a whole have to start viewing education more seriously and learning needs to be put back on the student. In places in Japan and India, students are held accountable for their grades. There's no blaming of teachers and their parents do not accept anything below a A. I can't tell you how many times I've had students who didn't do homework, absent at least once a week got an F and then their parents come to me whining about their child failing.

Secondly, teachers should have more qualifications and it should be treated like the medical field . In Finland teaches need to have a masters degree to teach. This ensures that the teacher is highly qualified and is able to give his or her students a quality education.

Shunning public schools and stuffing kids in charter schools isn't the answer.

BUT, charter schools, school choice and vouchers IS the answer.

Forum List

Back