🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

DeVos Confirmed

I agree that public school system needs some changes. But hiring someone who doesn't have clue teaching or education isn't the solution.

DeVos doesn't even want to make public schools better. She wants to get rid of them altogether. She's a staunch advocate of charter schools but many of them are worse than public schools.

Oh really?

A new study of charter schools shows that they are making a meaningful difference for underserved kids in many of our nation’s cities, but it also highlights new challenges for the movement.

Researchers at Stanford University’s Center for Research on Education Outcomes, or CREDO, released the new report yesterday, which looks at the impact of charter schools in 41 urban areas. The researchers used a rigorous research design that compares learning gains for students enrolled in charter schools to those of similar students in traditional public schools in their districts.

On net, the findings are good news for charter schools: Across the 41 cities studied, students in charter schools learned significantly more than their peers attending traditional public schools – 40 more days worth of learning in math, and 28 more in reading.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowl...charter-schools-making-a-difference-in-cities

Somebody is scared and protecting their job.

I do not teach in a public school. I haven't taught in one for about 4 years now. So I'm not afraid of losing my job.

I admit public schools need changes, but getting rid of them completely doesn't solve the problem. Charter schools can be more selective on what kind of students they have. Public schools cannot. So some charter schools may perform better than the average public school. Once you start allowing more kids into charter schools, you will wind up with the same problem as public schools.

I agree that charter schools help underprivileged children who excel but cannot afford private school. However, it doesn't solve the core issue with the average public school student.

The issue is that Americans as a whole have to start viewing education more seriously and learning needs to be put back on the student. In places in Japan and India, students are held accountable for their grades. There's no blaming of teachers and their parents do not accept anything below a A. I can't tell you how many times I've had students who didn't do homework, absent at least once a week got an F and then their parents come to me whining about their child failing.

Secondly, teachers should have more qualifications and it should be treated like the medical field . In Finland teaches need to have a masters degree to teach. This ensures that the teacher is highly qualified and is able to give his or her students a quality education.

Shunning public schools and stuffing kids in charter schools isn't the answer.
So, who said they want to get rid of public schools?

Betsy DeVos has been confirmed as education secretary with VP Mike Pence casting the tie breaking vote. She was the one the Democrats really wanted to defeat the most now that they failed I wonder if this will stop the dragging their feet on cabinet nominees?

They need to hurry up and confirm Jeff Sessions, he's more important at the moment IMHO.

A racist, yes go ahead. Two years is coming. What do you care, you don't live here.

Great day for education profiteers and the American Taliban.

Terrible day for America's kids.

As a teacher I am extremely disappointed. The fact that she is a republican or basically brought her position doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that she has 0% experience in education and never taught a day in her life.

In the end our children will suffer.
We saw what a mess "Insiders" in "Education" have done to "Education" The most expensive Education System in the world turning out Idiots by The Millions.

No thanks. Time for a different perspective.
What do you suggest be done to improve a system that is required to take anyone regardless of ability or desire?

First step rnact competition, ie vouchers. Now rhere is zwro.incentive to change and update and to be frugal,( we dont need race relations counselors and they dont need to make six figures)

2nd step stop teaching crap. Make the curriculum revolve around math, science, english (not Spanish), and history.

3rd fire teachers that break laws, impose political points of views and dont teach yhe subject they are supposed to.
This post is full of so much WIN! :clap:

That being said....how does your poorly written steps improve a system that has to accept any and all regardless of ability and/or desire?
How successful would a sports team or business be under that system?

Well the firat thing is to kick out those causing trouble.
You give them an ultimatum and a list of things that will not be tolerated and the punishment including expulsion. Kinda like on Lean on Me......

Get rid of the troublemakers, that in and of itself will create a much much better learnig environmemt.

We have to stop lowering our society to help the lowest common denomiators.

And you allow principals and teachers to.disciplne students like.in the good ole days.

As for ability have diffent tiers of classes if possible

The issue is that Americans as a whole have to start viewing education more seriously and learning needs to be put back on the student. In places in Japan and India, students are held accountable for their grades. There's no blaming of teachers and their parents do not accept anything below a A. I can't tell you how many times I've had students who didn't do homework, absent at least once a week got an F and then their parents come to me whining about their child failing.

Secondly, teachers should have more qualifications and it should be treated like the medical field . In Finland teaches need to have a masters degree to teach. This ensures that the teacher is highly qualified and is able to give his or her students a quality education.

Japan weeds out under performers in stages. Use public schools to educate the less academically inclined. Charters for those who can go on to college or specialized trade schools.

There are poor teachers just as there are poor students, they should be weeded out as well. In the private school I am most knowledgeable about, half the teacher did not have teaching degrees. A high achieving school though.

We don't hold adults accountable for much, start with the kids and have consequences for actions/inactions. Most successful schools have motivated parents.

So, this leads us back to, why are you supporting the status quo that will not and cannot yield the results you want?

Betsy DeVos has been confirmed as education secretary with VP Mike Pence casting the tie breaking vote. She was the one the Democrats really wanted to defeat the most now that they failed I wonder if this will stop the dragging their feet on cabinet nominees?

The Dems have no power and they know it.

They should think more about being considered by their constituents for the 2018 elections than obstructing everything Trump does.

America is watching them in action.

Stopping Trump is a national security issue.
Oh!

How so?

What a shame, someone who hates public schools is going to be the ed secretary. She has ruined Mi public schools, we now have lots of for profit schools. Going to expand the Kingdom of God in the US. She is a wacked out crazy person.

I thought Trump was going to help inner city schools , not destroy them. They may as well just confirm the rest, and go out and do rallies and give speeches, and let the Pubs do their thing for 2 years. Make better use of their time.

The American Public School system needs to be trashed and burned. Period.

I have read a lot about the American Public School system since joining this forum and everything I've read illustrates that it's more of a damage to children than anything else.

Betsy is the one who really scared the Rats.....the public schools are breeding grounds for leftist nitwits to ruin kid's minds with agit/prop. Kids are browbeaten into obedience. Little white girls told to have sex with black boys and other girls. Boys are told winning is for bullies and becoming homos or trannies is perfectly normal. Betsy is all about charter schools and kids learning how to read and do math without a calculator. She'll take on the teachers' unions and hopefully hire a conservative teacher or two. And she's a Michigan girl. :eusa_angel:

The Dems have no power and they know it.

They should think more about being considered by their constituents for the 2018 elections than obstructing everything Trump does.

America is watching them in action.

Stopping Trump is a national security issue.
Oh!

How so?

It's either because of Putin or the Amish or whatever :smoke:

So, who said they want to get rid of public schools?

I like the part where she totally ignored my Stanford study reporting charters help urban kids achieve more. I didn't need a study for that info, I taught for a while and have two kids that do now. :)

As a teacher I am extremely disappointed. The fact that she is a republican or basically brought her position doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that she has 0% experience in education and never taught a day in her life.

In the end our children will suffer.

That is a worthy and legitimate argument against her, but teachers tend to think only for what is best for teachers and not the students.

They always argument for pensions, free healthcare, protect tenure, but not what is best for children.

School choice, charter school, no tenure, individual retirement plans etc are what is best for children and these are things she has fought for and knows a lot about.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Good for her. She bought the job fair and square! The swamp gets deeper every day.

\o/ I hope she can get some voucher program out there so that American's will have a choice about not sending their kids to a shit hole school.

Probably asking too much that public schools go back to ABC principles, or that they start whacking university funding for being political arms of the DNC... but I'll take what we can get to straighten out the mess of the American education system.

I have also read about School Vouchers and I think they're a good thing, parents should have a choice NOT to send their children to a bad and substandard school.

Great news for all the children who will benefit from school choice.
So....she's going to give public schools the power of choice? the same power private/charter schools have?

No, she is NOT going to give public schools the power of choice. She is going to give PARENTS THE POWER OF CHOICE. Why, specifically, do you oppose giving low and middle-income parents the same choice of schools as upper-income parents?

Forum List

Back